Can't Get My Headset In? Help?

matt-richardson

Hey, I've been trying to get my headset into my frame but I can't seem to get it to go in straight or fully in

Anybody got any advice for me?

Had this bike for a month and this is the only thing stopping me from riding it so any help getting me out there to start riding would really be appreciated.

Matt

Hey, I've been trying to get my headset into my frame but I can't seem to get it to go in straight or fully in

Anybody got any advice for me?

Had this bike for a month and this is the only thing stopping me from riding it so any help getting me out there to start riding would really be appreciated.

Matt

If you haven't got a headset press.

Hit it hard, preferably with a wooden mallet, Until its in completely, tap it round the edge continously to make sure its flat.

I would use a piece of 2x4 wood and a hammer (try hitting it as center to the headset as poss this will help it going in state) . you will have to kinda smash it in but in a controlled manner lol . Just keep an eye on it for bending/warping out of shape.

If it gos wonky or not all the way then hit it harder or you might have to take it out and face your head tube.

I know this is basically what other people have said but I thought Id go in to more detail. I hope this has helped .

Edited by Gogz-

Buy one of these, i've got one and they work really good for the price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HOME-MECHANICS-HEADS...A1%7C240%3A1318

They are for little geeks who are not aggressive and powerful enough to over-rule the world Muhahaha!

Joking, I'm going to buy one. Well I'm not, but i have to sound mature if I'm going to take over the world!

Edited by Smoby

They are for little geeks who are not aggressive and powerful enough to over-rule the world Muhahaha!

Joking, I'm going to buy one. Well I'm not, but i have to sound mature if I'm going to take over the world!

haha, i tells yer, they're Tony-Tiger Grrrreat.

Seriously though, i cracked my mates WTP 4-seasons frame using the hammer wood method.

Hammering can work but youre likely to dent/crack the cups or force them in at a funny angle, damaging the headtube and cup. I use a vice with a piece of plywood on the jaw face to protect the cups, push one in at a time and they should go in square :)

I just smashed mine in, with no knowlege of fitting headsets :)

I have a FSA Pig too (which are big apparently?)

Mine was hard, I did think I was going to kill my frame, It wouldn't go in straight :giggle: Although, it is a Neon, So, its probably another manufacturing defect.

F***ing frames...

Nn

Cheers for the help and everything.

In the end just took it to my local shop, found that I only has half the bearings in the lower cup so had to get some of those, so figured it would be way easier just to get them to fit it aswell. Only cost me £4 for inserting it and for the bearings.

So yeah if your ever in mid-wales pop into the bike shop in Rhayader, real good service and prices.

(Y) Have you taken all the old headset out? So theres just the headtube there and nothing els? that might be why you cannot get your headset in.

Hahaha Andy rides for thinkbikes you tool, I think he know's to put a headset in you have to take your old one out...