Chris King Advice For Trials

tdubz

Basically any king ;)

If you want to run a rear disk get an iso, if not then a classic. If youre only running singlespeed and you can afford the extra for the singlespeed hub then go for it, the operation of the hubs is identical all across the range.

Depending on how big and how smooth you are you might want to invest in an HD axle and funbolts, likewise a stainless steel driveshell to stop the sprocket digging in. I believe the ss hub comes with both upgrades as standard.

Personally I use an old discotech hub (with the rear disk adaptor, now called the universal hub) with the standard axle and alloy driveshell - I havent snapped the axle yet, using a titanium bolt through to secure the wheel and with a wide based sprocket it doesnt dig in too much :)

I did snap my axle, but granted it was 3 years old when I got it.

The HD lockring is a faff because it's an imperial size.

Just make sure you look after it. Don't run it dry, and don't run it rammed full of sticky grease, neither are great for them.

My hub was second hand from ben travis back in feb 05, I dont know how much abuse it had received from ben but it was pretty well used. I serviced it, and it has run absolutely fine for me for the last 4 years. The internals are all still fine although the bearings are starting to get a little rough :D

Like has been said already any chris king hub will be ok for trials, since the hub will be used for trials you will deffinately want a stainless steel drive shell, and if you feeel like it the HD axle kit is a worth while upgrade too, The single speed hub does come with a HD axle but there is no option for a stainless steel drive shell for them, which is what puts me off running one, an alu shell can be ok with a wide based sprocket but lately i have seen very bad things happen to a singlespeed alu drive shell.

In my oppinion go for either a Classic or ISO with a stainless steel drive shell, and if you feel the need a HD axle kit.

Adam

thanks for that bit of advice chaps

next question where is the best place to get them from

ive been looking on ebay....... and there is a shop that sells them from the usa which seems a lot cheaper than over here

whats the feedback on overseas purchase are they of the same quality etc

thanks again guys

Either 2nd hand on here or brand new form aspirevelotech :)

Cheapest from here and the hub is likely to be bedded in so you dont have to do it, then again you dont know what state the hub is in - generally they are very good but bombproof as they are an unserviced king will eventually become knackered :(