Anyone Want Ti Ck Bmx/profile Hub Bolts?

JonMack

Yo. After reading the T-UK thread, saw this dude had got a Hoesel bike, and put Ti bolts on it, including on his CK. So I went on the site where he said he got them, and low and behold, there they are. They're in the bottom left corner, you're looking for "Unified National Coarse (UNC) Ti Non-Taper Head US Bolts". From my research online I've found the following out:

Chris King BMX hubs use 3/8-16 x 1" which are $5.90 each

Profile hubs use 3/8-16 x 1.5" which are $6.50 each

Shipping is $5 flat rate, no matter how much you order, and they can also anodize for only $2 per order, no matter how many bolts you buy, so if you wanna get pimp gold or purple or green bolts then they'll do that for you.

The site is http://torontocycles.com/Selling/Titanium_Bolts.html hope this has helped some people out. The weight savings wont be massive (probably about 8-10g per bolt) but it adds a little pimp factor to your bike.

If you want ti bolts for everywhere else, i'd suggest you use http://www.tibolts.co.uk, and for non critical areas such as lever clamps, or headset bolts, check out http://www.tastynuts.com, both UK based sites, which are very reasonably priced :)

Hope this has been of some help to some people :)

These WILL NOT fit HD Chris Kings, they use a different bolt size! They're for CK BMX hubs only!

Jon

Edited by JonMack

Take Note!

Those bolts will only fit the Chris King BMX hubs though, the 135mm spacing Ck hubs with HD axles use what looks like an M12 fine (or imperial equivelent) thread which is then turned down where the bolt goes through the frame, as it is not possible to fully remove a CK funbolt whilst the hub is still in the frame.

See picture:

large_kingbolts.jpg

Adam

Take Note!

Those bolts will only fit the Chris King BMX hubs though, the 135mm spacing Ck hubs with HD axles use what looks like an M12 fine (or imperial equivelent) thread which is then turned down where the bolt goes through the frame, as it is not possible to fully remove a CK funbolt whilst the hub is still in the frame.

Thanks Ad, I should have mentioned that really.

I've got TI bolts in mine. They're M10, can't remember the pitch but I think it's 1.25mm

I would have thought that's right.

Since the Profile and CK BMX hubs we use on trials bikes are female axles (i.e. it's a screw-in bolt that acts as the supporting axle in the dropouts instead of a regular hollow one-piece axle), surely it's mechanically more beneficial to use hardened steel bolts in this case? Titanium is known to be a bit flexy, and whilst it's alright for stuff like headset preload and stem bolts; won't it be inferior to a steel bolt in this case? Since afterall these are what are acting as THE axle in the rear dropouts.

Just a thought, though some people may not notice the extra flex of ti.