Kinematic Issue

Echoes

Hi all,

I have seen here but couldn´t find again using the search engine, so I need help with this, please: what is the name of the energy or force (I don´t know) resultant of the pedaling movement that gives you the "propulsion" to pedal up, for example, an obstacle? Kind of physics stuff but, it´s ok. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance. Is it something regarding kinematics or so?

Energy and force are not the same thing. I blame the discovery channel for completely screwing up the chances of anyone working out what units are correct to measure things without more research - ever notice how they give force is in tons (Units of mass), pressure is in kg (Another mass unit) and lengths are in double decker buses/height of the Eiffel tower etc.

Energy is the ability to do work.

Force is the application of a load - it will only do work if the force causes a displacement.

Force (Newtons) x Distance Moved (meters) = Work Done (Nm or Joules).

Force (N ) x Velocity (m/s) = Power (Nm/s or J/s or Watts).

Work and Torque have the same units incidentally - this is not a coincidence...

Edited by psycholist

There are two components to this in practice. First component would be the the kicking of the pedal motion from a stationary point. assuming you start from rest. This would just the acceleration from 0- the speed your wheel moves when u pedal, which would result to a force (since force is mass X acceleration). Now this would help a little but I imagine the majority of the force to get you up a curb would come from compressing your body into the ground and bouncing up again. Simply kicking hard on the pedal would get some height, but not much.

in which case it would be an impulse (which i believe would be the word you are looking for?). a change in momentum as a result of your body changing its position quickly.

You just need to get into a technical university and learn some physics ;) Then you will know, for example, that Kinematics isn't about force. It's about movement.

I have some theory about your word. The example you gave - pedal up an obstacle - you first have some potential energy (this is when you are on the bike doing nothing, but pressing your weight on the bike so that it stands still). Then you press your pedal with that potential energy to result in kinetic energy that makes the bike move. Then you use your other potential energy of your body to lift the bars and in the same time pedaling. Then you crouch and there it is. Energy resulting in doing something cool.

So in my calculations the word is "Potential energy". Which is not very cool thing to say, so I guess is not the thing you were looking for...

Cheers

Edited by blaze_

Surely it's the application of force of different magnitudes in various directions which combine to give the release of energy that will provide the desired affect of ascending the obstacle, there's a lot going on in the short space of time to label just one of the energies used.