Broken Laptop.

jack0174

Hello.

My laptop is broken and i wanted to know if anyone knew what the problem was so:

Its a hp g5000 and a few days ago when i put the charger in it didnt charge so i had to

take it out a few times then put it in then it would work, but eventually the battery died and now when i

put the charger in it wont charge at all, anyone had, or know what it is, all help appreciated.

Thanks.

Dead battery? :rolleyes: You may find you just need to replace the battery, saying that it could be the charger. Best way to check would be if a friend of yours has the same laptop, just swap the battery over and test them. Obviously its fairly unlikely they'll have the same one so my next option would be take it to a computer shop (ideally where you got it) and ask them if they could quickly just test it so you can establish the problem.

Failing that, warrenty?

I dont think its the battery because when it did work and was off charge it didnt go down really fast and surely if the battery is just crap but the charger is plugged in it would still work, but i think i might go with your idea and take it to a computer shop.

My best guess would be a dodgy connection between the charging unit and the laptop. That means, most likely, either a broken wire in the charger cable (can you get it to charge by bending the wire in certain directions?) or a broken connection inside the laptop as happened with my GF's Packard Bell laptop. That's more awkward to fix as it'd need to be very carefully soldered.

My Dell is shit and did that to me, call up whoever you brought it from, or go into the store. Its most likely your charger, if its under warrenty they should replace it.

It was a cash converters jobby so i doubt that it will have warrenty, so ideally it would just need to be fixed.

It was a cash converters jobby so i doubt that it will have warrenty, so ideally it would just need to be fixed.

Does your charger have an LED indicator to show when power is getting to the transformer? Does this light appear?

Check the fuse in the plug and check the fuse in the transformer (if applicable, some don't have them).

What is the general condition of the cable/plugs?

Batteries can be expensive, so make sure you check the leads first to avoid buying a battery you don't need.

I highly doubt Dell will warranty this; however you may get a discounted price. When you call they'll want to see some Proof of Purchase and will ask you to email them a copy of the receipt. However this is a second hand purchase and warranties are usually none transferable - but on occasions they may offer a cheaper (perhaps half price) replacement...certainly worth a shot :)