Trials Technigue Help!

Hi guys, hope you all good, can i ask a few questions?

Ive been riding with some pretty decent trials riders over in australia,they know there stuff and are pretty good and they said i side hop the wrong way for a left foot forward rider(i currently hop to the left), it makes sence in what they say as when you get over bar height its easier to tuck you body up with out your peadle gettin in the way, and also i can kick with out the peadle getin int the way.

ive looked on all the vids and stuff and everyone who rides left foot forward hops to the right.

but hoping to the right for me is like totally wrong, but when i get over bar height, will i be making things more difficult for myself if i dont break this habbit early?

Trouble is, ive just started hoping to the right like everyone else does, and i can barelly do 2pallets atm,as this i soul destroying and i was getting almost to bar height hoping to the left. am i goin to have to crack on with right side hopping? is this best for the long run!?

Also, they totaly changed my way to gap things, they say the way i do it is the "old skool way" meaning i do a pedle kick before the edge and use the kick as my main power,

these guys told me the "new skool" way which is to get my wheel as close as i can to the edge, pretty much in line with my rear hub, then drop the front wheel and that will compress the tyre on the edge, allowing me to spring forward with the bounce from my tyre and alot of lifting and forward movement, they say this is how you get big gaps nailed.

he was also proving the point by telling me about a guy who can gap with no chain.

but again when tying this im finding it totaly exhausting and not gettin much distance, again will it come with practice.?

at the moment, i feel like im taking few steps back, but will this be right for the long run?

any advice you be much appreciated guys.

dean.

oh and ive been riding about a year myself, i ride a mod.

I learnt to sidehop to the left (left foot forwards) and going to the right just felt unnatural, I could reliably do 5 pallets to the left but that was about it :$

I started learning to the right and can now do almost 6 pallets (about 38"), last sunday I tried doing them to the left and can go over bar height now :D

I still feel more comfortable going to the left, I dont/cant tuck anyways so it makes no difference to me at the moment. I can only sidehop to back wheel when going to the left.

My sidehops suck :(

I learnt to sidehop to the left (left foot forwards) and going to the right just felt unnatural, I could reliably do 5 pallets to the left but that was about it :$

I started learning to the right and can now do almost 6 pallets (about 38"), last sunday I tried doing them to the left and can go over bar height now :D

I still feel more comfortable going to the left, I dont/cant tuck anyways so it makes no difference to me at the moment. I can only sidehop to back wheel when going to the left.

My sidehops suck :(

ok thanks guys, i though i was alone with my dilemma, but obviously not. what about the gapping technique? do any or you gap like how i was told?

ok thanks guys, i though i was alone with my dilemma, but obviously not. what about the gapping technique? do any or you gap like how i was told?

I find I can get further if I do a small preload bounce about 8-10" back from the edge and then gap from there, I cant seem to pinch gap, the back wheel just seems to go down not forwards :(

Like my sidehops, my gaps suck - can get about 7 foot flat to flat at most with a preload hop, that said I really do struggle with gaps.

I gap how you were told, it makes it much easier when you get the hang of it. I don't go as far foward as having my hub in line with the edge though

I go so that the rear axle is about 4-6 inches back from the edge of the take off, then drop the nose so they wheels are nearly level (This also rolls the rear wheel foward closer to the edge, and compresses the tyre), as I drop the nose I preload my left pedal (I'm left foot foward), then let the brake off and kick hard with my left leg, but also explode off the edge with my whole body.

If you drop the nose enough, you can throw your weight foward off the edge by pulling the bars really hard, and rather than the nose coming back up you'll just explode further off the edge.

That's how I do it anyway, the best way is to just practice and just find whats gets you the furthest.

tunnicliffe hops that way (towards his drive foot) and he can huck.

i started sidehopping the wrong way and have now learnt the 'correct' way, i can go bigger with more confidence and stability now

the 'correct' way is alien at first but perceviere (sp?) and it should come good in the end.

oh and if its doesn't... f**k it, do it your way :rolleyes:

tunnicliffe hops that way (towards his drive foot) and he can huck.

i started sidehopping the wrong way and have now learnt the 'correct' way, i can go bigger with more confidence and stability now

the 'correct' way is alien at first but perceviere (sp?) and it should come good in the end.

oh and if its doesn't... f**k it, do it your way :rolleyes:

ok, all these tips are handy lads, im going to try and persevier with hoping right and see how it goes, and with the gaps, i think i was getting my rear wheel to close to the edge, so when i drop the front wheel to load it slips of the edge.

im going to spent all day working on it in the sun!

oh has anyone rode the south bank in brisbane, thats where i am at the mo, and its the most amazing place to ride with with rocks and street allover the place and what i love is the water stations dotted all ove the place case you get thirsty!

highly recomended is anyone his oz!

thanks again guys!

dean.

Alrte m8,

I gap the way you were told, i have just started doing this only about 2 months ago. It is really hard at first and i kept flicking my back wheel into the ground, this was because i was taking off too far on the corner or edge of the wall. Because of this i tried to go back to the way i used to gap but just could'nt make my self and every time i gapped i felt my self trying to take off from the corner again. However i kept practicing and now i can get it everytime and dont worry about flicking down now.

So basically stick at it and eventually you will find your way.

willis x

I think we all have been here once. I still do some things to the left (left pedaled) but sidehops I can't, even if I could back in the days ;) it really is like the other ones are saying, the pedal will only cause you trubble when you go higher. when I heard it the first time I refused to listen but later when I got som pallets higher I understood what they were talking about. you should allways go right when you're riding left pedal...

So go on and try to go right ways! and I will do the same ;)

Markus

I think we all have been here once. I still do some things to the left (left pedaled) but sidehops I can't, even if I could back in the days ;) it really is like the other ones are saying, the pedal will only cause you trubble when you go higher. when I heard it the first time I refused to listen but later when I got som pallets higher I understood what they were talking about. you should allways go right when you're riding left pedal...

So go on and try to go right ways! and I will do the same ;)

Markus

ok mate, i will do, thanks for you tips, ill let you know how it goes!!

dean

i used to be right foot forward and side hop to the right....could get 40 inch that way.........then i just couldent get any higher...

so i switched to side hoping to my left side and to start with i only got like 20 inches........i really wanted to go back to the right side because i done them bigger .but i made my self stick to the right side and after a while it felt good and normal....then i started to side hop much much bigger

Dave

i used to be right foot forward and side hop to the right....could get 40 inch that way.........then i just couldent get any higher...

so i switched to side hoping to my left side and to start with i only got like 20 inches........i really wanted to go back to the right side because i done them bigger .but i made my self stick to the right side and after a while it felt good and normal....then i started to side hop much much bigger

Dave

thanks dave, thats just what i need to hear! how high are you side hoping now?

and how long did it take you to get high goin the correct way for you?

ive got the technique to hopsideways its just shifiting the weight over( going right for me!), im guessing that wont take as long as gettin the technique did?

did you feel crap because, i do at the mo because i feel like im back to beginners level?

Hey Dean, its Jack (guy with long hair from the brissy comp)

Both the things you have been told are correct. I havn't seen you ride much but I think something else may help you out a lot, particularly with the gaps. I noticed at the comp that when you hop on rear wheel your correction hops are still quite large, which isn't unusual. If you can make them smaller you will be able to set up for sidehops and pinch gaps more effectively. So when setting up for moves, maybe try concentrating on smaller hops and keeping your body relaxed on the bike.

Now i've though of another thing in regards to correction hops you might be doing. When hoping on the spot, it isn't neccessary to kick on the pedals. You can kick, but it tends to make the hops bigger. Its something to think about though.

Cheers

Jack

Hey Dean, its Jack (guy with long hair from the brissy comp)

Both the things you have been told are correct. I havn't seen you ride much but I think something else may help you out a lot, particularly with the gaps. I noticed at the comp that when you hop on rear wheel your correction hops are still quite large, which isn't unusual. If you can make them smaller you will be able to set up for sidehops and pinch gaps more effectively. So when setting up for moves, maybe try concentrating on smaller hops and keeping your body relaxed on the bike.

Now i've though of another thing in regards to correction hops you might be doing. When hoping on the spot, it isn't neccessary to kick on the pedals. You can kick, but it tends to make the hops bigger. Its something to think about though.

Cheers

Jack

hi jack!

cool, this forum is great im getting lots of tips about my errors.

i really appreciate you advice pal, im just goin to keep practcing and see how i go.

do you ever get out to ride with le and reid on the south bank?

would me cool if we could meet up and have a ride sumtime?

also bessel said he want you to add him on facebook if thats ok with you? could you add me aswell and your find adam on my friends. my names dean dibsdall.

hope to see you soon mate!

dean.

I don't have facebook... yeah I know I live in the dark ages...

I try to ride with Le and Reid in Southbank but I work Wednesdays so often miss the night rides.

Anyhow I'll pm you my email in case u use msn.

Edit... so you're not a full member and therefore don't have the ability to PM.

Edited by Jack_M

I don't have facebook... yeah I know I live in the dark ages...

I try to ride with Le and Reid in Southbank but I work Wednesdays so often miss the night rides.

Anyhow I'll pm you my email in case u use msn.

ok pal, no worries

yer email me and ill add you on msn.

speak later

dean

thanks dave, thats just what i need to hear! how high are you side hoping now?

and how long did it take you to get high goin the correct way for you?

ive got the technique to hopsideways its just shifiting the weight over( going right for me!), im guessing that wont take as long as gettin the technique did?

did you feel crap because, i do at the mo because i feel like im back to beginners level?

with in a few months i got decent side hops .....far higher than i ever did my (bad) way.......the more you try it the more you will get the flow of it........yeah i felt crap for ages.......but just stuck to it.......

best side hop ive got was 46inches

with in a few months i got decent side hops .....far higher than i ever did my (bad) way.......the more you try it the more you will get the flow of it........yeah i felt crap for ages.......but just stuck to it.......

best side hop ive got was 46inches

nice one dave, very respectable height man, well ill let you know if i get anywhere near that once ive got sidehoping nailed.

again, thanks for the encouragement!

dean.

hey guys - i reckon i have the same left foot forward side hoping to the left issue - i have done allsorts of riding over the years and would say the way you do someting naturaly is the correct way for it to be done for people individually ?? - unless i should be going learning the other way aswell lol !

hey guys - i reckon i have the same left foot forward side hoping to the left issue - i have done allsorts of riding over the years and would say the way you do someting naturaly is the correct way for it to be done for people individually ?? - unless i should be going learning the other way aswell lol !

Learning both ways never hurt anyone, usefull skill to have if youre entering comps :)

I still sidehop the retarded "wrong foot way" just don't have the determination to change feet, I can do over the average bar height comfortably and never feels like it hinders my riding too much, I don't want to do big gay tucks anyway so try to stay fairly straight. Remember that neil tunnicliffe sidehops the wrong way :P

I cant sidehop high, but the only way i can do it is to the right with my right foot foward. It just seams natural. I am going to have a go to the left again, but really i dont think there is a "right" and "wrong" way to do it. Just find the style that works for you...

max