How To Sidehop?

Adrian

I only just learned to sidehop to a reaonable standard and after learning to hop towards my forward foot a cuple of guys said that I should learn the other way instead. The reasoning behind this is that when you et up to higher stuff where every millimeter counts hoping away from your forward foot allows you to be closer to the obstacle without catching your pedal. To be honest I don't see it being much of a problem either way.

Really you should be learning both ways, i found sidehopping away from my forward foot felt right, however i then when to sidehopping towards my forward foot as when i got the front wheel up there I was rotating the right way to bring the back wheel up.

So I sidehop both ways, carp at both, and have very different technique each side.

Side hopping like damon is much easier when you start to go bigger. When i first started side hopping, i side hopped like tunncliffe, however i made my self side hop the other way, like damon. This was because i found it really hard to tuck when side hopping like tunncliffe.

But that is just me. Tunncliffe has no problem....so why should any one else?

willisx

It said in another topic that if you side hop to the same side as your forward foot. Doing small sidehops isn't to bad. But when it comes to the bigger sidehops it will make it harder to tuc.

After i read this i watched a few videos and it down make sense. The forward foot, well the leg goes right up to your chest.

So if going to that side it seems it would be harder to tuc and get onto the wall.

i sidehop both ways now, but when i learnt, i sidehopped with my left foot forward and to the left breaking all other peoples opinions. I found i could stil tuck real tight but if i fell short of the height, i could atleast sidehop to crank or pedal as it was already forward. Best thing to do, learn both ways! the best riders car go both ways round, just experiment, doesnt matter about which way, its what feels right at the end of the day! toby

Do it with your strong foot to the outside like damon, you will be able ot go higher the better you get, its easier to tuck and wont catch your pedal when throwing yourself up a wall, also your foot can slip off the pedal when doing it the way neil does, but what i would reccomend is to learn it the damon way, itl pay off in the long run.

Bingle

It doesnt make a huge difference. Sure you can get closer to the wall if you have your lead foot on the outside(Damon). But once you get onto bigger sidehops your going to have to take off from further away anyway unless you dont mind twatting your hand on the wall everytime you preload. Im right footed and sidehop to my left and would take off the same distance from the wall either way i sidehopped now. Ive hit my hand off a wall preloading before and its not fun.

It is easier to control your back wheel with your rear foot. so if your right foot is back then it will be easier to move the rear wheel to the left.

If you watch videos of people doing bunny hops they tend to twist the back end a bit with the rear foot.