Confused On What Should I Do

Mini0n

Hey guys! I need your help!

Should i be saving up for a stock bike with seats or without seats ?

OR Should i be saving up for a 24" bike?

OR Should i just convert my moutain bike gears to a single gear ?

I was thinking of the first option, however i don't know whats the cheapest for a stock bike with/without seats.

The second option is a bit too expensive for me to afford atm, which means i might have to wait till end of year when i'm free to work.Moreover i'm new to trails so if i get such an expensive bike to learn how to do all those stunts, all the parts will definitely get screwed up pretty much, right?

The third option, i was wondering if its even a good choice to do that. My MTB have suspensions at the front.Even if i convert it, would it be a good bike for me to train the stunts with?

PS: I know I've asked alot of times, but still,i don't know which is the better/best way. So please tolerate with me and all the qns and help if you can. Thanks!

My current MTB -> http://www.khsbicycles.com/04_alite_300_07.htm

Edited by Mini0n

Look to buy a bike from the classified section, you will get a reasonably specced stock or 24" for not alot of money :)

Best to learn with trials specific geometry with rigid forks, riding a converted mountain bike is much harder and will restrict your learning abilities.

Possibly try something like a later model onza t-rex, its a good strong frame with reasonably geometry and you can pick them up nice and cheap.

Look to buy a bike from the classified section, you will get a reasonably specced stock or 24" for not alot of money :)

Best to learn with trials specific geometry with rigid forks, riding a converted mountain bike is much harder and will restrict your learning abilities.

Possibly try something like a later model onza t-rex, its a good strong frame with reasonably geometry and you can pick them up nice and cheap.

T-rex have gears ? I have to change the gears to single speed? Wouldn't that be almost changing my MTB gears to single speed too?

T-rex have gears ? I have to change the gears to single speed? Wouldn't that be almost changing my MTB gears to single speed too?

A trials bike can have gears, just most people run singlespeed as its lighter and less things to go wrong :)

It would be nothing like changing youe MTB to singlespeed, the geometry is so different that they would ride nothing alike. Single speed does not make a trials bike.

Oh, now i get it. But its too heavy for me i think. I'm quite a smallish guy, around 163-165 cm. So i'm also afraid if i get a stock, it will be a tad too big for me, will it ?

You might feel a bit stretched on a long stock, possibly look at getting a mod to start with and if you feel the need change to stock at a later date. Dont worry too much about the weight, it will more than likely be much lighter than your MTB :)

Best thing to do is find a group ride local to you and have a test ride on some peoples bikes, you may find you feel comfortable on a stock.

You can pick up some reasonably cheap 26" bikes, which will be so much better for you to learn on. Don't get too hung up on seats/no seats and gears/no gears etc, just concentrate on getting a bike sorted and getting the balance and the basics sorted. As you get better, you can swap and change things, go single speed or whatever you want to do, but at the early stages these are not limiting factors.

If you're quite small, have you considered getting a 20" bike instead? They may be easier for you to learn on and manoever around.

Have a look round of some of the trials shops and see what you can get in your price range. I think for a first bike its better to get something new, as you know exactly what the condition of everything is and it will require less maintaining in the early stages. You never really know exactly what you are getting with a 2nd hand bike.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/mad-phase-1...ke-id41334.html

Cheap, off the Peg trials Bike.

Good bike to learn on. Everything you need to get into the sport, and still good enough to keep going while you improve.

If you dont think they are good enough for good riders, go the the Video setion and check the Phase 3 video.

Or simply watch Brett Penfold ride.

Unfortunately i don't know of anyone who rides trial, all my friends are riding MTB ):

I don't really like mods actually, i was just thinking whether a 24" or a 26"

If i get that Phase 1.3 to start off with, in the end i still have to spend another sum of money on changing the specs. So i was wondering if its better if i just get a better bike at least it could last longer without me having to change the gears to single gears etc etc, for eg. the phase 1.3 ? Idk i'm just confused, its so hard to describe ><

And i don't want to spend another sum of money on changing the frames and stuffs when i get better unless its spoiled as i find that its quite a waste of money. I'll have the mentality like " i should've just bought a better bike in the first place " kind of thing, you know ? ARGH~! :(

Trials bikes have a pretty short life in general compared to other bikes and you will find yourself replacing bits and pieces pretty often until you find what stuff works for you and your riding style. If youre a harsh/heavy rider then you may be better off with heavier components that are more likely to resist a bashing, as you progress and get smoother then you can look to getting lighter (but generally weaker) components.

I recommended the onza because its strong, reasonable starting geometry and they are cheap 2nd hand, you can upgrade parts as you have funds available and eventually buy a new frame when you fancy it :)

So i can basically just get that one, then change it to single gear(i prefer single gear, i feel that the gears are too heavy ><) and start practicing n training ? Until i have the funds i could upgrade the brakes to magura or whatever and the tyres and rims then finally the frame ? It wouldn't not fit into the new frame right? Everything should fit ?

So i can basically just get that one, then change it to single gear(i prefer single gear, i feel that the gears are too heavy ><) and start practicing n training ? Until i have the funds i could upgrade the brakes to magura or whatever and the tyres and rims then finally the frame ? It wouldn't not fit into the new frame right? Everything should fit ?

90% of every will fit, there are sometimes some oddities between different components but most of the time it will be fine :)

Converting to single speed will only cost you about 30 quid (tensioner/sprocket/spacers).

I would still highly recamend the Phase.

The frame is good enough to last you through out.

And they are good enough for profesionals, as all team Mad use those frames, some of which ride in the World champs, and some of which are amazing street riders.

The good thing about starting with gears is that it gives you a chance to find out what gear you want to ride in. Select through them as you go until you find something you feel comfortable in. Then you can convert to single speed if you like. Not everyone has it, if you have a long distance to ride between riding spots then gears will be helpfull.

No matter what you choose I would allways recamend not going all out and spending a fortune. You be less likley to want to try something for the 1st time on a £2k bike if you feel you may damage it.

Also on a cheaper bike you can slowly upgrade parts as and when they break, which with modern trials bikes isnt as often as you'd think.

Not everyone has it, if you have a long distance to ride between riding spots then gears will be helpfull.

Like ME! On my fourplay.

However, I only run two sprockets, and it skips on the smaller of the two. I've not managed to tune them to eliminate the skipping, but it rarely does it.

I'm going to use singlespeed when I've got a car that I can drive to places. Until then, I might stick to gears.

That bike will be ok to learn basics on, like track stands and Bunny hops, but anything over that will be hard.

I wouldnt spend any monney on that bike. Maybe just keep it as is for a run around bike.

You will find it alot easier to learn on a trials bike designed for the sport.

Also that way if you do buy one and find its not for you, theres still that bike to fall back to as it wont have been butchered riding trials.

i'd say dont bother taking it apart and changing to single speed you wont benefit out of doing that, its the geometry on the frame that you need to worry about and that bike is built as a mountain bike not a trials bike.

Get a cheap 2nd hand t-rex or the phase and then ride it until something breaks and keep upgrading.

Then you will still have a mountain bike built up or you could sell it to put towards your trials bike and get something alittle more expensive

Andy

Really not!!!! Its not a good bike and it wont suit trials one bit, all it will do is hold you back!!!

I also highly recommend the phase!! The one linked to for under £200 was amazing!!! I wouldn't bother with an Onza if you can get the phase for that. They're more than adequate for learning on and perfect for upgrading if you ever need too!

Go get it, before its gone - its a good deal. Check out the rich pearson/michael singleton video to see what is capable one those bikes!!!