Mototrials.

Mikey Tomo

trialscentral.com is the only motorbike trials forum that I know of.

Theres loads of shops in the UK, none like Tarty that I know of, but I have to use people who sell Yamaha parts.

Lol are you sure, dan ko is an idiot when it comes to dealing.

Not really a dealer but theres always gas gas bikes going on ebay for about £1000.

He means Trialsuk.co.uk as in mototrials. Trials-uk.co.uk is the one you are thinking of. 2 totally different sites.

Malcolm rathmell sport is rather good if you get yourself a sherco, trialsendurodirect.com aren't too bad. What bike you looking at getting out of interest?

Leaning towards a 125 Gas Gas.

How heavy/tall/old are you?

If you're 16 or over you can ride any bike in a competition, and a 125 will quickly get too small and weedy for you. The ones I've ridden had no torque at all, you need to rev them to death to get them to go anywhere.

I'd say get an older bike like a Yamaha TY250 monoshock first, I've had them for the last 5 years and they are dirt cheap to run and they're really strong, so you can fall off them a lot and not worry too much about breaking something.

If you're old enough to avoid a 125, I'd say get a bigger bike definately, people will say, "ooh, they're fine to learn on,", but really what you want is to have fun, and while I found I could do must stuff on the 125s I rode, it pissed me off constantly.

If a GasGas costs £800, it needs money spending on it in my experience.

Someone I know had a 1997 GasGas TXT250, not even a Pro just the base model, it sold for £1200, and it wasn't immaculate really.

Yeh, a modern 125 would probably suit you best. My brothers 13 and rides his TY250 alright, but he's about 5'8" tall.

When I got my first TY250, (the one he has now), I really struggled with it because I was 14, about 5'2" and seriously weak.

If I were you I'd go for a Sherco 125, from what I here they have more low down torque than a GasGas, so it will be easier to ride smoothly and you won't have to work the clutch as much.

I had a really good topic going when i was looking for a 125. There are a few key points about the bikes.

1. Beta. From my experiance 2007 onwards seam to be the most powerfull 125 betas. However the older Rev 3's and Technos are just as much fun to ride. Betas have really smoooooooth power and brilliant to learn on. There also really strong bikes. Like every bike they have there weekness for example the stators going on a handfull of the older ones. But this seams to have been solved. The good build quality is reflected in the reasonably high price. However Rev 3 beta's tend to hold their price well as minimal changes where made throughout the years of manufacture.

2. gas gas. Cheap to buy, rev to the moon and with bicycle weight. However not a good choice if you are a wrecker! With a good maintanence programe they can be kept in tip top condition. However poor maintainence will not be rewarded and works out expensive in the long run.

3. sherco. Sherco 125's tend to be quite tourqy. This is birlliant but personally isnt my choice in bikes. They have been known for the frames to crack reasonably easily, and suspention bearings tend to go easily.

What i have said is a rough guide to 125's, however please do not go and buy a bike just on what i have said. You mush buy a bike for how it suits you. I struggle on riding anything other than Beta's and Montesa's. Its just my style.

Another point to look at is what type of clubs are around you. If they are all ACU affiliated clubs then you can only ride a 125. However if they are affiliated to the AMCA you can ride a 250 at your age. This is how i started trials on a Yamaha ty250 (just like muel!). You will also get more for your money if you buy a larger capacity bike, as every youth now wants a 125!

Hope this helps,

Max

Another point to look at is what type of clubs are around you. If they are all ACU affiliated clubs then you can only ride a 125. However if they are affiliated to the AMCA you can ride a 250 at your age. This is how i started trials on a Yamaha ty250 (just like muel!). You will also get more for your money if you buy a larger capacity bike, as every youth now wants a 125!

I started on a 175 actually after everyone told me it would be the ideal bike to start on, actually it was so shite and awful I got a TY250S 6 weeks later.

When we ride an ACU event, my brothers bike misterously transforms into a 125. A 98kg 125 that apparantly burns off all the modern 125s in between the sections! :lol:

Edited by Muel