Which Size Brake Discs For The Front?

MikeWarner

60 grams is such a negligible amount, so I wouldn't chose a rotor over a weight benefit.

It is common to have a minimum of a 180mm rotor on a 26" (which is what I assume your building).

I run 160mm's on my 20" (the rotor size is for better clearance against obstacles), a larger rotor has more surface area and therefore more stopping power.

If you want more stopping power than yeah larger discs over smaller ones, I run a 185mm on my mod, front and its insane!

Larger discs cost more I believe and they are heavier as you said, if you're not bothered by both of them and just want more stopping power then larger (180mm onwards) is your choice.

60 grams is such a negligible amount, so I wouldn't chose a rotor over a weight benefit.

It is common to have a minimum of a 180mm rotor on a 26" (which is what I assume your building).

I run 160mm's on my 20" (the rotor size is for better clearance against obstacles), a larger rotor has more surface area and therefore more stopping power.

If you want more stopping power than yeah larger discs over smaller ones, I run a 185mm on my mod, front and its insane!

Larger discs cost more I believe and they are heavier as you said, if you're not bothered by both of them and just want more stopping power then larger (180mm onwards) is your choice.

Larger discs don't boost stopping power a whole bunch more than anything that could simply be controlled from the brake levers... The rotor size is all to do with cooling, bigger bike = more speed = bigger rotors to self-clean and cool under high speed stopping so your pads don't get cheese grated.

Could be wrong but that's what I always gathered.

Surely it would be bigger pads to boost stopping power anyway..?

the bigger the rotor the more leverage you have. Imagine stopping the wheel with your hand on the hub (hard) or your hand on the rim (easy), its exactly the same with disk rotors.

PS, I would lever go under 180mm on a stock

As ali c said bigger discs give more leverage, 160mm is a wee bit too small for stock/24 but is fine for mods, 180mm seems to be the choice of most riders. 203mm gives good leverage but maybe a bit too much unless your a heavy rider. Hayes are now producing a whopping 220 rotor kit now!

I've just gone from a 185mm BB7 to a 203. And the difference isn't massive, whether it's because it hasn't fully bedded in yet I don't know, but my 185 was more than enough.

on the front it wont take much different, esp with cable (the cleaner the cable line the more win your brake...)