I'm A Noob!

MadManMike

Righto!

I used to have trials bikes about 5-6 years ago, we're talking modified mountain bikes and T-Raptors... Not the most technical stuff ever!

So, I'm now building a Simtra. My first "modern" trials bike.

I have a few questions - thanks to everyone that has already helped, I'd now like some general opinions on certain things.

What would be better, FFW or Cassette? At the moment I'm going on "whatever I can get cheapest" but I don't really know about this so if there's a genuine advantage then I'll go for one over the other. Something to note, in case it makes any difference, is that I'll be running dual disc.

I'll update this thread as I build, with more questions :)

So far I only have a few parts on route so I'm not actually building it until July / August.

Thanks for your help chaps!

Mike.

If you're doing it on price, just see what works out cheaper with which cranks. I reckon you'll get a freehub, sprocket and a spider arm crank with bash (I guess that means you'll be running 22:18ish :P) cheaper than a fixed hub, cog, freewheel bash and screw on cranks (Y)

Your drivetrain is certainly something you should not skimp out on Mike! Go for a pro 2 at the back, its worth the extra expense and then you can run pretty much whatever you like upfront :)

I have a try all freewheel on a revolver hub, and as good as it is, its nothing compared to my pro 2 on the 24

I'd say go for a Pro II on the rear, single speed, 18:15.

You're smarter than I gave you credit for! :P

Yeah mate, pro2 preferably. They're great and REALLY reliable, if something does actually happen to break it's really easy to take apart. Even I can do it, and I'm no smarter than an earthworm at this sort of thing. AND the replacement parts are cheap(well, the ones that break most, springs, pawls) :P

I'm going to go against the flow, In terms of a budget build (if your buying from new) then FFW is the cheaper option, because you can get whichever cranks, (trial tech sports or something) and then spend £40 on a good freewheel (tensile etc. everyone whos on the top of the range Koxx's are running Try-All front freewheels and that copes with the stress they put through it so sure you will be fine) and then you can skimp on a rear fixed hub because it doesn't really matter what hub it is... because its fixed.

But if you have more money deffo get a ProII because there solid, and if you do ill sort you out a surely cog for frees :)