Creaking Noise

Billiboi

Hi all i appreciate you may not know what i am talking about unless you have heard the noise but here goes anyways.

I sometimes get a strange noise coming from my crank/freewheel area. Its a creaking noise and only happens when i pedal.

Local bikes shops all have a dirrerent idea so thought i would post on here also.

One shop said its where the chain is going onto the freewheel as my chain line is slightly off.

One shop said my rear wheel needs truing?

One shop said i need to tighten the rear sprocket although i believe it is tight.

One shop said get new crank bolts.

The other said its the freewheel (which is echo sl) 2 weeks old.

I also thought i may not have enough grease on my crank or BB, could this affect it?

It dosent affect the way it rides its just an annoying noise and sounds like something isnt right.

Any help or comments welcome please

BB is two days old mate :)

You may of got it 2 days ago, but it didn't come out the factory 2 days ago did it? the grease could of gone a bit hare in that time. I brought a helmet at the end of march and it was made in december. :)

Take the BB out, grease the threads where it goes into the frame and I bet your creak will dissapear :)

yerp... or like darren said grease the bb/crank interface

might also be loose pedals, so remove, grease threads and replace and tighten :)

Hi all i appreciate you may not know what i am talking about unless you have heard the noise but here goes anyways.

I sometimes get a strange noise coming from my crank/freewheel area. Its a creaking noise and only happens when i pedal.

Local bikes shops all have a dirrerent idea so thought i would post on here also.

One shop said its where the chain is going onto the freewheel as my chain line is slightly off.

One shop said my rear wheel needs truing?

One shop said i need to tighten the rear sprocket although i believe it is tight.

One shop said get new crank bolts.

The other said its the freewheel (which is echo sl) 2 weeks old.

I also thought i may not have enough grease on my crank or BB, could this affect it?

It dosent affect the way it rides its just an annoying noise and sounds like something isnt right.

Any help or comments welcome please

Geeze, how many bike shops do you have?

I would say its the BB.

But check that its not the stem, I had a creaking noise on my bike and I thought it was coming from the back but it was my stem.

It could also be the cranks.

Give your whole bike a tighten, t'is good for it (Y)

If it were your chain, you would feel it through your feets.

i saw something like that on a mountain bike that came in to have a creak fixed at the bike shop i work at.

his creak ended up being a flexing stem. ive seem creaks come from the steer tube too. id check the steer stem, the steer tube, the BB and cranks.

might be your front wheel too. a road bike came in not long ago that had a creaky front axle. check come tension and maybe lube it.

good luck!