Half Bashring - Enough Protection?

AlexC

G'Morning Earthlets,

I've recently got all the parts to replace/upgrade the drive train of my Zoot, and I decided to get a half (well, 1/3 to be exact) bashring (Echo TR 72 18T). However after seeing it in real life, what the ... this can really provide the protection I need? It covers 6 teeth of the freewheel at a time, surely this isn't enough? There will be many times I'm sure I may slip down a wall and land on the teeth instead, because my cranks were in wrong place for the bash ring to protect it.

Am I going mad, or does this in fact give the needed protection?

it should be fine. i used ot run a trialtech one with no problems. when you land on your bash it nearly always on the same side due to starting with the same foot forward all the time and then finishing with the same foot forward all the time.

just remember that when your cog/freewheel tightens up fully when you pedal for the first few times the bash may turn slightly so account for this

Thanks all, though one thing:

just remember that when your cog/freewheel tightens up fully when you pedal for the first few times the bash may turn slightly so account for this

This will sound very dumb, but from what I can see by briefly putting it on - the bashring will always moves with the cranks, correct? As in where it protects will always move. Or am I missing something small but very important there?

Thanks all, though one thing:

This will sound very dumb, but from what I can see by briefly putting it on - the bashring will always moves with the cranks, correct? As in where it protects will always move. Or am I missing something small but very important there?

Your freewheel pressing against the bashring is what keeps it in place. What Basher was getting at is that when you put the freewheel on after the bash goes on, when you first do a couple of hard kicks with it the freewheel's going to tighten up on the threads a bit more, but because it's pushing against the bashring the bashring's going to spin round a bit too 'cos the freewheel's going to make it move. Soooooo, you basically just need to take that into account. After that it'll stay in place relative to your crank arm.

*doesn't* move? How did you go about fitting it? It's between the crank arm and freewheel, as in your pic - surely it has to move with the crankarm as you rotate, it rotates as well? Btw, same cranks that I just got as well ^^

Your freewheel pressing against the bashring is what keeps it in place. What Basher was getting at is that when you put the freewheel on after the bash goes on, when you first do a couple of hard kicks with it the freewheel's going to tighten up on the threads a bit more, but because it's pushing against the bashring the bashring's going to spin round a bit too 'cos the freewheel's going to make it move. Soooooo, you basically just need to take that into account. After that it'll stay in place relative to your crank arm.

Ahhh ok, that clears it up. So once I tighten it all up and fit it properly, it'll hold its self in place.

*doesn't* move? How did you go about fitting it? It's between the crank arm and freewheel, as in your pic - surely it has to move with the crankarm as you rotate, it rotates as well? Btw, same cranks that I just got as well ^^

Ahhh ok, that clears it up. So once I tighten it all up and fit it properly, it'll hold its self in place.

You put the bash ring on, put the free wheel on, line up the bash ring so that its pointing down when your good foot is forward. then tighten the free wheel as much as possible. then ride. Be careful of it moving slightly, although mine didn't rotate as the free wheel tighten fully.

And yea as you can see in my pic, the bash rotates with the cranks, so when you have your feet level and you good foot forward, you'll always land on the bash.