Motorcycle Mot Requirements

TJ.

Hey bike is nearly due an MOT, does anybody know if indicators are a legal requirment and any ways to get around this etc etc.

Cheers TJ

On older bikes, no.

I'm guessing you have a new bike so yes you do need them.

I don't know the exact dates, however I think it's as good as "if it had them when it was new, it has to have them now".

Edited by Pashley26

On older bikes, no.

I'm guessing you have a new bike so yes you do need them.

I don't know the exact dates, however I think it's as good as "if it had them when it was new, it has to have them now".

Not the case, if you remove the indicators then you also need to remove the switchgear. My bike is an '01 and hasnt had indicators for 3 years, the switchgear is still there but Ive taken the lever and knob off it so you physically cant turn them on.

The bike had them factory fitted from new.

Ok if you get a really arsey tester then you might get an advisory on it, however Ive never had a problem; just make sure that the bits that are there do work correctly. Its worth a quick phone call to the tester beforehand and just ask them, I did this with my latest mot because I wasnt sure if my masked euro spec headlight (was an advisory last year) needed to be rectified for this year; turned out that as long as the mask was in place it was all good :)

edit: mot requirements is NOT construction and use, just because the bike passes the test with no indicators doesnt mean you wont get pulled up for it by the police. Another case in point is chain guards, my bike hasnt got one at all, it gets through the mot though because it has no pillion facility (although it did from factory supply), take the pillion pegs off and you dont need a chain guard for the mot.

Edited by forteh

pretty much as said, if the vehicles designed primarily for use as an off road vehicle,and doesnt come with provisions for carrying a pillion. then it doesnt need them.

otherwise, providing the indicators are permanently disconnected(i.e no wiring going to the lamps, AFAIK you can leave switchgear intact, althought most people remove it to further emphasise that it doesnt actually have indicators), covered over, or painted over. then supposedly you should get an mot, with an advisory stating that directional indicator lamps wern't present, and the vehicle can only be used in daylight hoursd when visibility is good.(although im not quite sure how this works, as if you can obtain an mot with the vehicle in the condition it was stopped in, then technically any offences should be dropped, and a producer doesnt require you to hand in an advisory.

I've always had a pretty friendly MOT tester, and I haven't MOT'd a bike since I had my FS1e !

Just sitting out my D/A until I can get out on my bike legally !

The best mot I had was my old ccm: -

Completely unbaffled exhaust on a 636cc single, you can imagine the noise - idles at about 120db.

Headlight was completely illegal being the type with 2 35w kitchen downlighters in it.

Turned the headlight on, it immediately went off and smoke started coming out from the headstock, chaffed the loom and shorted it all out.

Illegal number plate.

Passed :D

Most recent mot the bike was in generally a better state......

...except the number plate was definitely illegal (7x5 when it should have been 11x9), the bike wouldnt idle below 3000 revs, the clutch had locked up solid (adjuster barrel had moved on the hydraulic clutch) and it was pissing oil out of the sump plate because Id accidentally pinched the o-ring and split it :$

Still passed :D

pretty much as said, if the vehicles designed primarily for use as an off road vehicle,and doesnt come with provisions for carrying a pillion. then it doesnt need them.

otherwise, providing the indicators are permanently disconnected(i.e no wiring going to the lamps, AFAIK you can leave switchgear intact, althought most people remove it to further emphasise that it doesnt actually have indicators), covered over, or painted over. then supposedly you should get an mot, with an advisory stating that directional indicator lamps wern't present, and the vehicle can only be used in daylight hoursd when visibility is good.(although im not quite sure how this works, as if you can obtain an mot with the vehicle in the condition it was stopped in, then technically any offences should be dropped, and a producer doesnt require you to hand in an advisory.

I'm 100% on there being an age stipulation in there somewhere, for instance my A7 had no indicators at all and isn't limited to a day time MOT ? Brakes didn't work, rims are rotted through (can see the tube through them...), pisses oil everywhere and there are no baffles in the exhaust ! :P

Or am I missing what your saying ?

Heres my A7, which passed with no advisories when my dad tested it for me last -

2uixbmd.jpg

I can't wait to be able to ride it legally, it'll be so cool to go out with my dad for rides and stuff !!! :)

Edited by Pashley26

I'm 100% on there being an age stipulation in there somewhere, for instance my A7 had no indicators at all and isn't limited to a day time MOT ?

Or am I missing what your saying ?

My bike has no stipulation for daylight use only on the mot, I do have working head/tail light though. The wiring from the switchgear to the loom is still intact, as are all the connectors to the indicators, the actual switch and flasher units are missing though.

I think its the construction and use regs that stipulates the fitting of indicators in relation to the age of the vehicle rather than the mot.

My bike has no stipulation for daylight use only on the mot, I do have working head/tail light though. The wiring from the switchgear to the loom is still intact, as are all the connectors to the indicators, the actual switch and flasher units are missing though.

I think its the construction and use regs that stipulates the fitting of indicators in relation to the age of the vehicle rather than the mot.

Ahhh ok, I'm just a bit curious because the guy my dad always uses has recently died so were going to have to get a "proper" MOT on the bikes next year.

Edited by Pashley26

Ahhh ok, I'm just a bit curious because the guy my dad always uses has recently died so were going to have to get a "proper" MOT on the bikes next year.

My dads steam bike gets mot'd, it was 1st registered in 1903, it has no lights (head/tail/stop) or indicators, no electrics, the horn is a squeezy 'parp' thingymajig and the brakes dont work on it (theyre 1900 bicycle brakes and only there as a token guesture); you can get away with alot more with bike mots, especially on the older brit iron :)

Which reminds be I should really get my 1936 norton international 500 restored :$

Edited by forteh

yea april 1986 is the cut off date for the no daytime stipulation, also bear in mind a lot of places dont bother with it(as it is just an advisory, providing you get your green slip, little else matters to you), however i assumed this lad had a newer bike than that, so it wasnt brought into it.

Edited by Fish-Finger-er

My dads steam bike gets mot'd, it was 1st registered in 1903, it has no lights (head/tail/stop) or indicators, no electrics, the horn is a squeezy 'parp' thingymajig and the brakes dont work on it (theyre 1900 bicycle brakes and only there as a token guesture); you can get away with alot more with bike mots, especially on the older brit iron :)

Which reminds be I should really get my 1936 norton international 500 restored :$

Haha, my dads old landlord has got an 1893 Whitney steam car. It's so cool, we used to go down the pub on it and shit !

Norton you say ? I like inters, and my dad used to have a big 4 when I was younger.

Haha, my dads old landlord has got an 1893 Whitney steam car. It's so cool, we used to go down the pub on it and shit !

Norton you say ? I like inters, and my dad used to have a big 4 when I was younger.

Was my grandads 21st birthday present back in '36, he died on a road run in '86 (on his vintage douglas in holland) and I inherited the bike when I was 11 :)

The gearbox is rebuilt and ready, the motor is stripped, need to split the big end and check it and rebuild. The rolling chassis is sitting in my kitchen, needs a good clean and a quick lick of paint before the dry build, get it running and then get the frame stoved.