Better Way To Measure Trials Geo?

sayshell

why not measure wheelbase like this?? From rear hub to center of headtube (measured from the outside of the headtube) . This measurement would be very consistent.

Here is a diagram to explain better

Photo3.jpg

Error with current method of measuring...

the following things effect wheelbase but don't effect frame length..

-fork length

-fork rake

-headtube angle

-if the bars are tilted

even front tire size will effect the number

Edited by sayshell

But that wouldn't be the WHEELbase....??

And since when has bars being tilted affected the wheelbase? Or tyre size for that matter... And you mean when I use different forks, my frame doesn't magically stretch?

I think its a great idea, makes a lot more sense.

BUT if people are going to get picky about WHEELbase then why not simply call it frame length?

You tend to measure with standard geo forks, and you just disregard the headtube angle effecting it.

The idea is you use mainly the wheelbase, head angle, BB rise and chain stay legnth to get an idea of how it rides, the reason the systems how it is is because it works.

if you turn your bar left or right the hub will tilt left or right. Your fork must be perfectly facing forward to get the right number. It just seems a lot simpler and more consistent to me. For example what if you don't know your wheelbase and are not running a standard fork on your frame? You can't figure it out. With this number you could compare it to any bike.

The wheelbase is the wheelbase. Whatever fork your running, wherever your wheel is sitting in the dropouts, measure from the axle centre to axle centre and that's the wheelbase. Magic!

As has been said, what you're describing is something completely different and more like 'frame length' but then you can get that from chainstay length and reach I guess to some extent...

The wheelbase is the wheelbase. Whatever fork your running, wherever your wheel is sitting in the dropouts, measure from the axle centre to axle centre and that's the wheelbase. Magic!

As has been said, what you're describing is something completely different and more like 'frame length' but then you can get that from chainstay length and reach I guess to some extent...

no it its't for example if I decrease the fork rake by 20mm the wheel would move back 20mm. If you increase fork length because the fork is not perfectly staight down but on a 70 degree angle the wheelbase will also increase. I think frame length would be more useful when buying a frame because you could just compare frame length and if its 5mm longer then your wheelbase is also 5mm longer, provided you don't change any components. Wheelbase is just a current measurement of frame length.

Use reach instead of that measurement. Reach is from the center of the bb to the center of the top of the headtube.

When I look at a frame, I don't consider wheelbase. I consider reach, head angle, head tube length, chain stay length, and bb height.

I think frame length would be more useful when buying a frame because you could just compare frame length and if its 5mm longer then your wheelbase is also 5mm longer, provided you don't change any components. Wheelbase is just a current measurement of frame length.

But that doesn't take the head angle into acount, which can make 2 frames of the same "frame length" ride completely differently.

Wheelbase is such a popular measurement because it's relatively simple and gives the best overall approximation on how the bike rides, although it is the least accurate by the points that you mentioned.

I don't think there needs to be a 'frame length' measurement, like has been said CS and reach is pretty much all you need to know. 'Frame length' doesn't tell you much more than the WB did anyway, still doesn't tell you the CS or reach so it's just as useless, a little less useless true but still useless non the less.