Adding Spaces Between Headtube And Fork Crown

snoolax

you definitly cant pack out inbetween the headset lower cup + the fork crown, because the two parts are designed to interface directly with each other, and infact putting something in between would completely remove the point of them.

As said, your best bet is to get a thick crown on your forks to bump the height up, but really, this isn't going to be much more than 10mm to be honest. If you look at the bottom of the steere tube on a pair of forks, the tube tapers out at the bottom to ensure a tight fit on the crown. This taper isn't 'thickest' for a lot of the steerer so anything too much is going to be very unstable.

Sorry, but theres not much you can do apart from stem stackage or bar + stem combos.

thanks guys!

just did some measurements my bike is at a BB of -30. high Bb is not my cup of tea, just wish to get it to neutral..

guess the options i have now is some custom engineering or just grab a geocorrected fork. Most prob will go with getting the geo corrected fork, custom engineering is pretty a hassle in my area.

still new to geometry and stuff, may i ask how significant is the difference between a netural and a -30 in terms of feel and peformance? and are there any advantages of using a slight negative BB?

That's gonna need one hell of a front end boost to gain 30mm at the bb. If you have a norco I assume you didn't buy it to sidehop 50" and do front wheel gaps, it's never intended to be used with a rigid fork so with a small sus for the bb probably is level. It's made for ryan leech to be ridden that way, What norco is it by the way? Post a pic, and what do you ideally want out of a bike?

Leon

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38178465@N05/4018412997/

here is a pic of it :)

of course i dont expect crazy gaps or jumps, just wish to know will this drop affect my learning curve and performance.. I more into lines than distances and height, which is why i went for the norco.. but well currently i am only to do basics like trackstands, hops and rock so i cant judge much myself..

thanks for all help again guys!

Edit: its not that obvious in the first photo, Bb drop is clearer here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38178465@N05/4018410739/

Edited by snoolax

Yea that's one of the later ones, bb drop doesn't look all that to be honest, thought you had an old norco like I had, that was a proper bb drop lol.

Just get some longer forks cos fattys are very short, Too short for me to wanna use them.

What's the wheelbase?

oh my norco is old enough? :P think mine is a 2004? didnt know there was old haha

just measured the wheel base.. not sure if its really accurate but its like 1060.. thick tyres makes measuring hard..

btw will carbon fork work for trials? its tough to get old production geometry corrected forks in my area..

Well I had the 2002 norco which was 1017 wheelbase....lol, and that visibly had about a 50mm bb drop with a pashley rigid fork.

I wouldn't use a carbon fork, onza lite guys are a really nice size fork, you might wanna try a Kona project 2 as well, but fattys are about as short as it gets.

Not sure on length, probably 410mm ish, but it has a small rake, fatty has a lot of rake which increases wheelbase.

Your bb is fine for street riding, bunnyhops, manuals etc (however your long wheelbase will make this alot harder)

A longer fork will push the frame up and make the head angle slightly slacker which will make much more difference than 5mm up or down on the bb height.

thanks!

yup i agree that bunny hops on it is a breeze, lifts real well.. not sure bout manuals yet since i stll can execute them (damn!)

not sure bout the head angle on it but i am already finding it quite slack.. at least feels more slack that my stock czar of 72 degree..

what might be an ideal tune up for it now if my priorities are bunnyhopes, manuals, and some rear wheel pedal kick hops and a couple of nose moves?

Just a longer fork really, all you can do, it will be slacker but it'll bunny hop easier, i'm surprised it bunnyhops well at that length even with the steep head angle

from feel the angle doesnt seem really steep, feels less than 72 for me when i try pivoting (in relative to my 72 HA Czar stock

btw is there any way which i can physically measure headangle?