Best Mod Chain Tensioners

Caswell_35

Hi Guys,

Just wondered if anyone could direct me to the best 20" chain tensioners?

However i set my backwheel up, My tensioners, However tight i do up my bolts, and however tight i make my chain, my wheel always moves and chain goes slack??!!

Im currently running snail cams but they seem Sh*t.

All help is appreciated

Thanks

Caswell

Echo TR snail cams are a joy to use. I just put some on my bike after running some more heavily notched cams, and these win. Got micro grooves on them so you've got a lot more adjustability than most notched cams, but better holding power than smooths. They're rad!

Yeah, wasn't thinking necessarily in terms of skipping alone, but if you've got the chain only engaging with, say, 4 teeth compared to a normal chain engaging with 6, each tooth is taking a lot more strain than it would do ordinarily, meaning more stress on your chain. It may not be a problem, but I'm not sure I'd wanna run it. Not to mention I'm a terrible person and I sidehop to the right, meaning that I'd probably dominate anything below chainstay level reasonably quickly :P

Echo TR snail cams are a joy to use. I just put some on my bike after running some more heavily notched cams, and these win. Got micro grooves on them so you've got a lot more adjustability than most notched cams, but better holding power than smooths. They're rad!

I was gonna say, TR's are the best snail cams because of the above mentioned reason AND because they are cro-mo not useless aluminium.

On another slightly related note, rockman snail cams are utter garbage, eat your money before you buy them.

Tr. If i remember right the dropouts on a 08 echo lite (assuming your profile is correct) are at an angle like / on the top half and \ on the bottom half, if you get what I mean so you won't be able to use tugs.

Edited by weirdoku

Tr. If i remember right the dropouts on a 08 echo lite (assuming your profile is correct) are at an angle like / on the top half and \ on the bottom half, if you get what I mean so you won't be able to use tugs.

Correct!! That was going to be my next question!!

Echo TR it is then!

Cheers Big Ears

You can still use tugs, just need good ones. However saying that; on my marino I used two washers against the cam bolts (one on each side) to get rid of most of the slack and then used a 74kingz to get rid of the rest. Worked ace, it was like the best of horizontal and the best of vertical dropouts, in the sense that my wheelbase/etc... could be fine tuned and I did not need to use half links or double jockey wheel tensioners, however every time I put the wheel in it was in the same place and it never sliped or changed tensioner. Plus with the use of a sprung tensioner I did not have tightspot problems and with the 74kingz used like this it was almost impossible to catch.  

picture

Stick with tr snail cams I'll say, easiest things to use on the planet.

Yeh maybe, The biggest gripe i have with snail cams is iv used loads of them and never really had decent tension in my chain as they all keeped moving!

But ill give these ones a go and if they dont work then ill try the 74kingz.

Cheers

Have you only used the smooth type of snail cams? The TR's knurling means they're pretty win in terms of not slipping round (Y)

No ive never used smooth, sometimes the knotches were too big and i couldnt get the right positioning on the wheel. Well hopefully these will be ok.

No ive never used smooth, sometimes the knotches were too big and i couldnt get the right positioning on the wheel. Well hopefully these will be ok.

I've used monty, zhi and 2 pairs of trialtech snail cams and they all ended up in the bin cos they just eventually got crushed. Each pair becoming unusable in about 2 months, I've these echo ones for over 3 months now and they show no signs of damage, well except for the bit where I landed on :P