Is It Worth Laquering?

LukasMcNeal

You should always throw a couple of layers of laquer on for a decent spray job*

*key words: should, decent

My blue spray job lasted over a year and still looked pretty good when I went camo. People mistook it for a factory job and that was keyed, sprayed and rebuilt in an afternoon with no lacquer.

Yes Clear coat it, put as many coats as you can out of a big can.

Don't be scared to slap it on either, don't put a dry coat on.

Get the can up closer than you would with a colour spray.

Do not worry about drips, they can be sanded out after 2 weeks if you can be arsed.

Do leave it for 2 weeks before you sand/polish it, cos it won't completely harden until then, you can ride it though.

Halfords clear coat is the bomb.

1200 paper and lots of water then use a bit of rubbing compound to get the shine back

Man that sounds like HASSLE!! :P

To be honest I'm totally not convinced by Matt's spraying advice. Spraying loads on with the can close will just end up looking like the bike started life in a Salvador Dali painting... Follow the instructions on the can (which is usually spray at a distance of 300mm and use several light coats etc). I've found that by far the easiest way to apply lacquer is not to bother at all though... especially on a trials bike which will just get battered an scratched up anyway.

:blink: Without making the finish look shit?

Yes

1200 paper and lots of water then use a bit of rubbing compound to get the shine back

See (Y)

Man that sounds like HASSLE!! :P

To be honest I'm totally not convinced by Matt's spraying advice. Spraying loads on with the can close will just end up looking like the bike started life in a Salvador Dali painting... Follow the instructions on the can (which is usually spray at a distance of 300mm and use several light coats etc). I've found that by far the easiest way to apply lacquer is not to bother at all though... especially on a trials bike which will just get battered an scratched up anyway.

Something I do to pass the time:

tankforcustomprecisionc.jpg

However I agree it's probs a waste of time for a trials bike thats gonna get scratched up any way.