Carbon Rotors

the trials mop

What a pointless bike.

That wouldn't be any good on the road. It's designed for a track, so it wouldn't have gears, and wouldn't need brakes.

It would. Once.

It looks so delicate.

Carbon rotors have been around a while, hidden all secret like.

A company who's name escapes me, made a rotor and pads for a hope mono mini, the rotor being carbon. It worked, but the brake works the opposite way around with the rotor wearing and its quite pricey to replace, so they dropped the idea.

That wouldn't be any good on the road. It's designed for a track, so it wouldn't have gears, and wouldn't need brakes.

What!? So it's (apparently!?) going to be no good for road, but is designed for track so shouldn't have gears or brakes? If it's designed for track (which it isn't btw) of course it's going to be no good for road! Would you mind rephrasing that so it doesn't sound like you're arguing against yourself in case I've missed your point?

Anyway it looks in this case as if the use of disc brakes has been an aerodynamic consideration. Obviously standard disc brakes are far too heavy and would negate the aero advantage, therefore the company producing this has come up with a system as light as possible by incorporating carbon rotors.

I imagine this is a time trial bike from the spec/setup so the brakes would probably be used even less than on a road bike (which is very rarely if you can read the road right).

A lot of touring bikes and cyclocross bikes are starting to use disc brakes now, namely Avid cable disc, but I have seena couple of long distance TT bikes fitted with similar 'prototype' disc brake systems, especially on the front.

By the looks of the bike in OP's post, it isn't for the aero advantage, because the tripple clamp forks would instantly out-weigh any benefit there, and compact road brakes aren't a massive aerodynamic issue, especially on modern tt bikes where the frame/fork is designed to improve airflow over this area of the bike, and it isn't for the weight advantage, as there are brake setups on the market which are going to weigh a fraction of this disc setup.

I think this is probably just for the bike tarts, and perhaps just because they can. Ultimately pointless on the road.

It would. Once.

It looks so delicate.

Carbon rotors have been around a while, hidden all secret like.

A company who's name escapes me, made a rotor and pads for a hope mono mini, the rotor being carbon. It worked, but the brake works the opposite way around with the rotor wearing and its quite pricey to replace, so they dropped the idea.

my uncle has them on his down hill bike made to fit with hope m4's

they crap conductors of heat aparently, so stay cool longer and dont hold the heat so well.

and obviously weigh nothing, theyve been out for ages now.

my uncle has them on his down hill bike made to fit with hope m4's

they crap conductors of heat aparently, so stay cool longer and dont hold the heat so well.

and obviously weigh nothing, theyve been out for ages now.

The point of brakes is to convert kinetic energy into thermal energy which is then dissipated into the ambient air. If they are crap conductors of heat as you say, a DH bike is the last place I'd put them!

I dont agree with that. Think of trials brakes. Is there any heat produced when braking with a magura, on a sharp grind? I wouldn't say so, as the brake doesn't experience much moving friction, as it locks almost instantly. How can you say that a brake is crap because the rotor doesnt heat up, when you brake for only a second? Maybe so hard you lock your wheel. Then the chances of heat being produced are, well.. Non existant.

He was talking about using the rotor on a DH bike smartass.

Even so, what do you think happens to the kinetic energy that trials brakes convert. Every man and his dog knows that energy can't be created or destroyed nowadays. What I imagine happens in trials is that our bodies convert most of the energy whilst the brakes only convert the wheels rotational energy and provide a locked platform.

EDIT: changed absorb to convert as it's a more accurate description of the process

Edited by Shaun H

I dont agree with that. Think of trials brakes. Is there any heat produced when braking with a magura, on a sharp grind? I wouldn't say so, as the brake doesn't experience much moving friction, as it locks almost instantly. How can you say that a brake is crap because the rotor doesnt heat up, when you brake for only a second? Maybe so hard you lock your wheel. Then the chances of heat being produced are, well.. Non existant.

so what exactly do you think is happening when you grab a fist full of rear brake and lock your wheel? where's that energy go? why is it important that brake pads are high-friction?

just because something isn't hot doesn't mean there isn't any heat being produced.

Some of the rotational energy from the wheel spinning on a magura must be dissipated in the loud HONK! ,surely?

that's probably true to some extent, but it isn't a necessary condition for having a good rear brake.

my overall point is that brake pads are friction materials by design, and so they generate heat when rubbed against another surface. there's a reason our pads are not made out of glass, and why you don't want to get triflow on your rim.

rub your hands together vigorously - they start to get warm, so heat was obviously generated. now rub them together just once - was heat generated?

that's probably true to some extent, but it isn't a necessary condition for having a good rear brake.

my overall point is that brake pads are friction materials by design, and so they generate heat when rubbed against another surface. there's a reason our pads are not made out of glass, and why you don't want to get triflow on your rim.

rub your hands together vigorously - they start to get warm, so heat was obviously generated. now rub them together just once - was heat generated?

yes but not in sufficient amounts for our temperature receptors to detect