Street Trial, 26 Or 24?

snoolax

Hi guys,

need some help and opinions from riders who does street trials.

my friend is interested in getting a street trial bike (starting out, can only do basics stuff for now), but he cant decide between getting a 26 or a 24. Generally he is into bunny hops, gaps and taps and narrow lines, and maybe some tailwhips once is a while.

I have only ridden a 26 so i cant give him much opinion myself. Oh btw he is 6feet tall

some of his concerns and questions

1. what are the general pros and cons between a 26 and 24 street trial bike.

2. Will adapting from one to another (and vice versa) be difficult?

3. will 24 feel small and cramp up?

for what i know there arent many 26 street trial with decent geometry out there other than custom.. while 24 have a surging upcoming lots of bikes.

Hi guys,

need some help and opinions from riders who does street trials.

my friend is interested in getting a street trial bike (starting out, can only do basics stuff for now), but he cant decide between getting a 26 or a 24. Generally he is into bunny hops, gaps and taps and narrow lines, and maybe some tailwhips once is a while.

I have only ridden a 26 so i cant give him much opinion myself. Oh btw he is 6feet tall

some of his concerns and questions

1. what are the general pros and cons between a 26 and 24 street trial bike.

for what i know there arent many 26 street trial with decent geometry out there other than custom.. while 24 have a surging upcoming lots of bikes.

It is a tiny bit easier to spin a 24" bike but I much prefer my 26" Old school Trex. Either are fine just get something with a decent geo. If 26" try and get your hands on something old school like a 02 t-rex, planet x zebedi or a custom build.

I just cant get on with 24" wheels, but part of that reason id I have been used to 26" for 12 years now, I am sensetive to where wheels sit, how they spin and hop, the smaller wheels just react totally different to what I am used to.

If he has no previous experience, then he can choose either. 24" is more bmxy and there are more frame choices. I recommend he tries one first though. Stan rides a 24 and he is over 6ft, so I don't think that will be a problem.

thanks guy!

actually my friend does wan to get a 26 like me, but however due to the limted frame choices for street trials, its kinda making him think of getting a 24 instead..

I totally understand what Ali meant bout how the wheels moves and places themselves, that one of the concerns (actually the main one since thats basically how the bike feels when handing).

i think he might wanan ride a 26 in the future when better frame choices start coming, but it is tough to convert?

2. Of course there is a difference, but it's the same basics. I think you could do most of the same things, just not the same height/distance.

3. I'm 6'2 and don't feel cramped at all on 24" with medium length stem. I have hit my knees on the stem a couple of times though.

It can be more difficult to find good/wide rims that are cheap though. That's probably the only issue I've had going to 24".

Edited by scary_jeff

26 simply for the fact i can run mavic 721/521s and run a v brake up front.

You can run a vee up front with a 24 :S look at skozes bike / one of his tipics shwoing you a picture of his old bike..

Buy my bike its streety trials - can take 24" and 26" (Y) disc mount :) Leeson - OFFER ME..

You can run a vee up front with a 24 :S look at skozes bike / one of his tipics shwoing you a picture of his old bike..

Buy my bike its streety trials - can take 24" and 26" (Y) disc mount :) Leeson - OFFER ME..

sorry what i was meaning is you get a much bigger choice of forks for the 26 if you wanna run a vee.

post-11172-1258377346_thumb.jpg

26FTW

Edited by jambo

its just so hard to get a 26 street trials frame with good geometry without putting a bomb to the wallet (curtis, leeson), unless marino for great budget at the cost of perharps frame weight

btw anyone knows whats the height of danny mac?

Edited by snoolax

its just so hard to get a 26 street trials frame with good geometry without putting a bomb to the wallet (curtis, leeson), unless marino for great budget at the cost of perharps frame weight

btw anyone knows whats the height of danny mac?

5" nonsense and a half.

A Marino wont be any heavier than a Curtis or a Leeson. (Y)

just thinkin i might just have to get a 24 and a 26 as i just cant decide!

if u have the money u can always do. =p

but i believe is having one bike only for myself as it trains you to be sensitive to the bike's performance. its will also push the bike more too as you it is lesser to ahve thought like one move is harder to perform just becawuse the bike isnt that specific for it