Tensile 96

hdmackay

I've had this freewheel since August and it's been amazing. Skipped about 5 times in total until yesterday, I suddenly got about 5 skips in the space of an hour. Anyway, went in for the night not thinking much about it.

Today, I was just cycling normally and all of a sudden it's skipping loads. Like.. 15 times in 5 minutes. It's rediculous.

So I took it all apart. Cleaned everything with white spirit, everything seemed fine. The springs and pawls looked ok to me, put it back together, put a bit of WD-40 on all the moving parts and it's still skipping loads!

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Is there something obvious i'm missing?

cheers

Bearings, lockring, threads, pawl/spring bent? Might be your chain?

Firstly, it isn't the chain.

Dunno if it's any of those things to be honest. It always skips at the same place. Like if I find a skip, if I keep the crank at that same place, every time I push down it will skip. So the only thing I can think of is that it's the ratchet.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I used to get this problem a fair bit when i ran a freewheel. I used to get through one every 4-6 months or so (monty freewheels). Sounds like it's on the way out and i like you would take it all apart and inspect, but its just best to buy a new one. I kept one going for about a month and had it fail on me while gapping, best be safe and buy a new gooden!

It's an odd thing because i new people that used the same freewheel for years at a time, but id get through them like nothing... Seems a bit hit and miss, might have something to do with riding style but who no's

Kev

Have a look on Tarty at the spare pawls, See if yours are worn in comparison. Also as you turn it does it click independently or two at a time. If its two at a time you may need to re-align the pawl set up.

Cheers

sorry if im hijacking the thread.

mine clicks twice single, then twice double if you get what i mean

Have a look on Tarty at the spare pawls, See if yours are worn in comparison. Also as you turn it does it click independently or two at a time. If its two at a time you may need to re-align the pawl set up.

Cheers

The pawls look alright. I couldn't see anything wrong to be honest.

And they are clicking indenpendently I think.

There is too much grease in these freewheels.

I cleaned it out though

It's a freewheel, not a bomb! It's just a simple mechanical device, if you take it apart then put it back together the same way then you can't really do much wrong with it. Chances are you'll be able to spot any problems pretty easily.

The man speaks truth....only way you're going to learn