New Headset?

George.E

Every FSA headset I've owned has worked well for a couple of years and then something goes wrong with it and the headset develops play in the bearings regardless of how much you tighten it. I've got an Echo SL in the current bike, 2 years old and it's still spot on, no grinding/play except for creaking when I load up the front of the bike, even when its freshly greased (Which I'll admit doesn't happen often).

Every FSA headset I've owned has worked well for a couple of years and then something goes wrong with it and the headset develops play in the bearings regardless of how much you tighten it. I've got an Echo SL in the current bike, 2 years old and it's still spot on, no grinding/play except for creaking when I load up the front of the bike, even when its freshly greased (Which I'll admit doesn't happen often).

Echo SL hasnt been out 2 years. :blink:

why's your mongo rubbish??

Barings are sh** in it, I just can't get it tight, Iv tried everything and worked out that its my headset that is recked.

the SL hasn't been out 2 years, his frame will be 2 years old, meaning it's had chance to flare the headtube and f**k up before, and it's still working fine? at a guess, anyway, chris king ***....

So my headtube could be flared?

Iv only had this headset in it since iv had the frame.

I've had no trouble with the Hope I fitted in my hardtail earlier this year (Way too early to tell anyway), but every FSA headset, 3 or 4 pigs, a couple of Orbits with needle rollers over the past 10 years have all lost the ability to stay rattle free after 2 yearsish. I couldn't afford better at the time, but throwing 25 odd quid at a headset every 2 years tends to add up when a really good headset will just keep working almost indefinitely.

Best headset I ever used was a Shimano 105 threaded 1" one... Even when the bottom bearing cone cracked after years of abuse (And two frames broken) it still ran smooth. If only Shimano made threadless headsets :(...

Edited by psycholist

Thanks for all the replys guys, I think its between the Echo SL, FSA pig or Hope.

The pig sounds like a good option considering its only £20 so il have a look at that, my old stock bike had one on it and its seemed really good so im leaning that way.

Again cheers guys (Y)

Thanks for all the replys guys, I think its between the Echo SL, FSA pig or Hope.

The pig sounds like a good option considering its only £20 so il have a look at that, my old stock bike had one on it and its seemed really good so im leaning that way.

Again cheers guys (Y)

Ahem, pig pro.

Sealed bearings... Every Pig I've come across has eventually eaten the lower bearings or lost them.

My pro is years old and doesn't creak at all.

Pig Pro, my friend.