Trial Or Street Riding

snoolax

Hello guys,

hope to get some opinions for which form of riding, considering the moves they pull are more prone to getting injured. Street riding i mean rolling moves, not riding trial bikes on street. But do consider all options :)

Iam just bored cause i AM injured.

id say street riding is more prone to injuries because our rolling and going faster so you hit the ground harder

That works to your benefit though. Watch most BMX crash sections and the riders almost always slide or roll when they fall off so you dissipate the force of you twatting the ground more rather than just going 'bang' into the floor which is what tends to happen if you properly bin it on a trials bike. You can also feel if you're going wrong pretty early on more BMXy stuff so it's a bit easier to get away from your bike before it's too late, whereas if - say - you try a gap onto/off a rail on a trials bike you don't really know it's gone wrong until really late, so it's easier to get caught up in your bike and damage yourself.

I would have thought it doesn't make a difference, but I've broken my left ankle once and my right ankle twice doing crappy street riding! Whereas only chipped a tooth (a thousand grazer) riding natural.

Street might be more likely to cause injury because of the straight angles, flat run ups etc you tend to go bigger and when you go bigger and get it wrong it hurts more. Plus 9/10 times riding street you land on concrete, rather than perhaps some mud.

Get well soon, chief

Can i just point out. There are millions of different circumstances that could be put forward in an argument about this subject.

I don't think there is one particular answer.

First injury I had was street riding, and it was just shit luck.

Second injury I had was in comp, and it was trying to atempt something that I wasnt happy about doing in a tense situation. ( almost being forced to in a respect )

Wont ever do a comp again.

could have dabbed or asked for a 5 :rolleyes:

In my eyes street riding is more dangerous, but that could be that I have ridden trials for 12 years and I have a pretty good idea on when things are going wrong, I think the same can be applied to street too, if you have been doing that for a long time you get a pretty good feel for how things are going.

True - when I started riding BMX after trials, it felt sketchy doing small stuff 'cos I was so used to riding trials. Then I learnt how to make myself do stuff on my BMX that scared me, and ended up getting really comfortable on it and learnt to save situations a bit more. Now I've gone back towards trials again it's really tricky making myself do stuff 'cos it's a totally different process, but most of the time with my trials bike I'm more scared of something on my bike breaking than I am of the move itself. Just waiting for the freewheel snap or chain snap...

could have dabbed or asked for a 5 :rolleyes:

In my eyes street riding is more dangerous, but that could be that I have ridden trials for 12 years and I have a pretty good idea on when things are going wrong, I think the same can be applied to street too, if you have been doing that for a long time you get a pretty good feel for how things are going.

Tru ! I could have.

But my mind, in that split second, over ruled. ( one of the one million factors that ruined my day).

Im not as good or as competent as you Ali , so maybe that was my downfall.

It can happen to anyone at any time.

x

I would say natural riders are more likley to get injuries as they are falling on to un - even surfaces making it alot easier to twist anckles and injuries like that.

I would also says its alot easier to make a mistake that would make you fall when riding natural as anything like a little pepple or anything like that could make you fall, as alot of the time street riding is on smooth surfaces.

Sam :D

Definitly street. Because when you ride natural it is harder to pull as big a move as some of the street riders, like Damon Watson, Craig Lee Scott E.T.C.

A highly educated and well thought out answer.

As has been said i don't think there is any way of determining which discipline is more likely to lead to an injury having ridden both and stacked it pretty hard doing both, i'd say DH.

Definitly street. Because when you ride natural it is harder to pull as big a move as some of the street riders, like Damon Watson, Craig Lee Scott E.T.C.

It IS true that it is harder to do massive riding on natural than it is in the street. However, that wasn't the question. :D