Onza Skull

Matt Vandart

This is what I am saying, it doesn't seem to be for anything other than the "Al Fel" obvious as f**k answer above or am I missing something?

Rides nice anyway as far as my experience can say, just wondering if ONZA have any kind of plan when they come up with these things, no details on their website other than some geezer rides it, which isn't my most important factor when picking a frame because I am not that geezer so why would I care?

Seems to me there are three pro-series frames with no real plan for each 2 of which are almost interchangeable for geo especially if you start f**king around with different fork length and offsets.

Anyone else got any ideas?

I personally think its a pretty awful frame. Its ugly (not that important) and badly designed (very important). The seat stays are too long and the brake plate is far too high up and it makes the rear brake really flexy. Any half decent "engineer" would be able to see that and would avoid that frame.

I personally think its a pretty awful frame. Its ugly (not that important) and badly designed (very important). The seat stays are too long and the brake plate is far too high up and it makes the rear brake really flexy. Any half decent "engineer" would be able to see that and would avoid that frame.

lmfao, the frames are FAR FAR FAR from flexy. especially for its weight.

Al you get the hump really easily mind don't you?

Whats the score there then?

Your answer was obvious as f**k, no comment on you making it, just pointing out that in fact your point was valid really.

As it goes I can't see your point with the seat stays being long, care to elaborate?

I agree that the "brake plate" is too far away from the brake mounts, however there is no more flex than most mod frames without a built in booster.

Put a booster on it and the brake really is amazing.

I say again apart from the obvious as f**k answer "To make ONZA Money" which however obvious is a totally valid comment.

Does anyone know what its was designed for?

All rounder?

Or is Al in fact totally correct on this point and it is purely a money maker not aimed at any particular market?

Seems a bit mental to me.

Edit: One would think that with the "Long and flexy" seat stays that this frame is ideally suited to a disc mount, wouldn't one say?

Which brings me neatly to my usual gripe of why didn't ONZA put one on?

I think with the addition of a disc brake mount it may find a category to sit in and therefore a stronger market.

What do you think AL?

Edited by Matt Vandart

Al you get the hump really easily mind don't you?

Whats the score there then?

Your answer was obvious as f**k, no comment on you making it, just pointing out that in fact your point was valid really.

As it goes I can't see your point with the seat stays being long, care to elaborate?

I agree that the "brake plate" is too far away from the brake mounts, however there is no more flex than most mod frames without a built in booster.

Put a booster on it and the brake really is amazing.

I say again apart from the obvious as f**k answer "To make ONZA Money" which however obvious is a totally valid comment.

Does anyone know what its was designed for?

All rounder?

Or is Al in fact totally correct on this point and it is purely a money maker not aimed at any particular market?

Seems a bit mental to me.

Edit: One would think that with the "Long and flexy" seat stays that this frame is ideally suited to a disc mount, wouldn't one say?

Which brings me neatly to my usual gripe of why didn't ONZA put one on?

I think with the addition of a disc brake mount it may find a category to sit in and therefore a stronger market.

What do you think AL?

I do get the hump quite easily on here because people seem to think they can get away with bitchy comments that they wouldn't say to your face most of the time. I'm actually a very easy going person and always up for a laugh and a joke. I just don't like people thinking they are high and mighty on this and saying something a bit nasty because they can get away with it. When I say "get away with it" I don't mean I'd slap someone if they said something like that to my face I'm totally not like that at all. I'd just say something back to them.

Anyway back to the frame. What I said about it was totally aimed at you being an engineer in my retaliation for you trying to make me look like an idiot.

I do think that the seat stay tubes are longer than they need to be and could make the rear brake a lot stiffer if they where shorter and the plate was welded about an inch lower down.

I get the impression that Onza are just in it for the money. They seem to get a load of proto frames built up and what ever people like the look of they go for using this forum as a litmus test. I think adding to the fact they don't pay for advertising just shows how money hungry they are.

I'm not saying Onza are a bad company. The whole idea is to make money. I really like some of their cheaper bikes and they are a great way of getting people into the sport. I just find that their higher end stuff isn't as well thought out and designed as it could be. I'm not saying I could do a better job either but that's why I'm not in the business of making trials parts.

So basically what I'm trying to say is I "think" Onza made the frame because people showed interest in the prototype and they could sell it and make money.

This is all my opinion and from what I've personally experienced. If you don't like it that's fine with me.

Matt I apologise for being an arse.

No worries dude I wasn't trying to make you look like an idiot, your answer was obvious but at the same time not, I took it as you having a laugh.

Clearly you have thought about this frame and come to this conclusion from that analysis and judging by the lack of replies to the contrary I think you may have hit the nail on the head with this one.

Which is a shame really because it is actually a very nice frame but seems to have no "home" and as such will probably not last long esp. with the limey 3 20 and the hype associated.

Where does it really sit in the market?

I'm not convinced that it is just a result of ONZA making a proto and just saying "Hey we had a good reaction on that lets make it" because that makes no business sense to me, too much of a gamble but maybe they did.

Having said that there seems to be a trend of that happening in the industry, maybe the industry is just too small/young to warrant proper market analysis or for it to be even feasible that you would get usable results.

I wonder sometimes why I bought mine, not because it is shit or anything but why I chose that over some of the other options, I know weight and cost came into it as well as certain aspects of the geo like the head angle and chainstay length which were what I was looking for, I had no idea at the time what sort of wheel base I was looking for or in fact the BB height so 55mm seemed like a good medium between a high BB and a low one.

I have been toying with the idea of welding a disc mount on there to see if it makes more sense to me.