Two Questions, With Pics, About My Bike.

Bobo_Grimmer

Hi i have a couple of Q's here.

Firstly i've just been in the garden trying to side hop and just thought is this small snail cam looking thingy the wrong way up? (see pic) Because i have been bashing it when i don't quite make the side hop. (my left foot is my forward foot and i seem to want to side hop, well learn to side hop, to the left) So my thinking was could i just turn them up the other way thus stopping it from sticking below the line of the frame? they'd do the same job right?

009-1.jpg

And my second question involves my front disc;

The pad's aren't new and as far as i can tell the rotor is true but one pad doesn't move as freely as it should. Hopefully you can see in the pic that it looks like one piston is farther over than t'other. What's the best thing or thing's to try and fix this wee problem? :D

015.jpg

Any help would me most awesome thank you, Shawn.

Brake: Probably a sticky piston. Remove pads, push pistons in with screwdriver. Pull the lever whilst holding one piston in, so the oppposite one comes out a little (only pull the lever once, otherwise you risk the piston popping out and you then have to rebleed). Now spray some silicon spray on the piston. Push the piston back in. Repeat for the other side. Make sure when you set up the brake again, that you have the disc perfectly in the middle of the pads, if its to one side, 1 piston moves less and you start to get a lazy piston like you have currently.

If the picture you posted, has the pads deflecting the rotor slightly, so it looks off center.

I would recommend getting thinner spacers between the caliper and the frame.

So that the rotor is in the center of the caliper.

This reduces the risk of the rotor grinding into the caliper.

your snail clams are fine either way i would just like to point out from your description and picture of the left side of the bike are you side hoping to the left side with your left foot forward ? if so id side hope left foot forward and go to the right as you can catch your pedal on the way the other way also makes it more awakrd IMO to side hop up ! just a little riding tequnice i use if on the other hand if you do side hope that way ignore this :P just somthing i took into account from the pictures and description

the brake - i have the same problem i went brave removed my pads pulled the brake in and wedged a sheet of metal between the pistons then cleaned the piston with some bog roll then prized the pistons back out with the metal sheet i left in( make sure its thick enough not to make the pistons pop out but thin enough to get enough of the piston out enough to clean) this made a little difference i just had to space them out better with washers so she sits true and locks stright!

Cool, thank you for the help. I sorted out the break in the end. i took the pad's out, cleaned and lubed the pistons, got them moving propper and then lined the calliper up. turns out my rotor is a little bent (from hitting some rocks a few weeks back) so it still rubs a little, kind of a tic tic tic sound as it spins. it's better than it was though.

As for the snail cam thing's i turned them over and it looks ok. i was pretty shore that they would be alright the other way up but just wanted so reassurance i guess. :D

Oh my side hopping. i can't quite work out what side feels more normal for me at the mo. i seem to want to go to the left but as you say i do catch my pedal was i kick up some times. i'm going out on sunday morning so i'll give some side hops to the right and see how i get on. :)

thanks again, shawn.

Lubing brake pistons usually makes them return badly. When rebuilding a brake I will always clean and dry all oil off the piston and seals and then push the pistons in hoping for some resistance. The seal pulling on the piston will help the piston to return into the calliper better than a slippy piston. I have tried both methods back to back to see which worked better and its always the non lubed piston in disc callipers.

I noticed your brake seems to have metal pistons, depending on the brake Im nearly 100% sure hope use Phenolic pistons in all of thier brakes now due to better all round performance and better heat disapation (not that heat would matter much on a trials bike) the pistons are available as an aftermarket upgrade.

I would have said the brake looks fine, the left pad looks worn at an angle though, so this is what might be throwing it off. If you look at the worn part of the left pad's gap between the rotor and compare that to the back between the right pad they look the same.

New pads wouldn't hurt.