New Camera And Premiere Pro?

Bigman

Hey Guys

I got a Sony HDD video camera for christmas, I have taken the clips from the camera, just dragging them off like you would if it were a memory stick, When i try to drag them into adobe premier pro CS3 it doesn't like it, it says that it does not support the mpg files that the camera creates.... what is it that i need to do to get it to work, other than having to take the time to convert the files using another program??

Thanks

Adam

Hey Guys

I got a Sony HDD video camera for christmas, I have taken the clips from the camera, just dragging them off like you would if it were a memory stick, When i try to drag them into adobe premier pro CS3 it doesn't like it, it says that it does not support the mpg files that the camera creates.... what is it that i need to do to get it to work, other than having to take the time to convert the files using another program??

Thanks

Adam

Probably your camera compresses and converts footage from raw data into a different format (such as .mts) to save space because you're using a camera that records to a hard drive. CS3 doesn't support these compressed formats. CS4 does however. Alternatively, you can convert your current format into mpeg-2 or something similar that CS3 will support. I use Elecard converter studio for doing that. The unfortunate downside of this is that you will naturally lose quality. Unforunately also, the last time I used CS4 it seemed to be requiring a lot of computing power (too much) for smooth playback whilst editing. Rowan seems to think that updates have smoothed out that problem but I'm somewhat sceptical. Perhaps though, you've got a very powerful computer?

Is your camera AVCHD? If so Premiere 3 will not handle that compression.

I'm pretty sure a new version of Adobe Elements does though, as does CS4. Dunno where you stand with legal software which costs a fortune, but as far as I know CS4 has so many safeguards that getting it to work is nigh on impossible.

For converting to a format which the older Premiere will handle, I use a Xilsoft converter. It's brilliant for multi-core CPU's. You'll need to waste some time on getting the settings right but it will convert with little loss in quality.

Thanks guys, I had a feeling that converting would be the only way, I have tried a few clips, converting them with the software that came with the camera, but it seams to have raped the quality :( I may try and get the program that you mentioned Alex.

Thanks

Adam