Chain Snapping

Do do do

are you relying on the chain before you do a blunt? instead of your back brake. if so this puts alot of strain on a chain and is one of the ways to shorten the life them

YBN heavy duty 9speed shifter chains are amazing made for trials with shifers :D

Thats incorect. Infact a good rider will rely more on the chain than the brake. And if your rally good you can do it without the rear back at all.

Trials by definition put exces amount of stress through the chain, so standard chains will not last.

As previously stated make sure all of your drive line is in good shape and correctly adjusted. Its alos a good idea to change the chain, chain ring and sproket at the smae time, as they will wear together.

Thats incorect. Infact a good rider will rely more on the chain than the brake. And if your rally good you can do it without the rear back at all.

Trials by definition put exces amount of stress through the chain, so standard chains will not last.

As previously stated make sure all of your drive line is in good shape and correctly adjusted. Its alos a good idea to change the chain, chain ring and sproket at the smae time, as they will wear together.

well that may be your opinion but the reason i belive that is because i was told this by a competition rider.

who is currently teaching me.

What chains are you using? How long do they last? Is you chainline spot on? How worn are your sprockets? How tight do you have your chain tensioned? And where are they snapping, on the link you joined them with, quicklink?

I think its a kmc of hand, Not a kool. And my chain line is near on. The freewheel is 6 days old. The back sprocket on the other hand, Your guess is as good as mine. And as for tension tight but not over the top, The chain is snapping via the links and pulling apart. Though I have been told no matter what type of biking I do, My riding style is very hard. As for using the brakes or chain on the back wheel, I mainly use the brake but I rely on them both. Also im sure using a freewheel with very few engagements, Probably dont help. Plus I dont use split links I dont trust them.

Thanks for all the posts so far, and Im also not worried about weight yet. I want a chain I can use durin a drop gap, and not have to think is this going to hold.

Edited by Do do do

I think its a kmc of hand, Not a kool. And my chain line is near on. The freewheel is 6 days old. The back sprocket on the other hand, Your guess is as good as mine. And as for tension tight but not over the top, The chain is snapping via the links and pulling apart. Though I have been told no matter what type of biking I do, My riding style is very hard. As for using the brakes or chain on the back wheel, I mainly use the brake but I rely on them both. Also im sure using a freewheel with very few engagements, Probably dont help. Plus I dont use split links I dont trust them.

Thanks for all the posts so far, and Im also not worried about weight yet. I want a chain I can use durin a drop gap, and not have to think is this going to hold.

The first time you snap a chain you should replace it or it will keep snapping. KMC are good, i personally use a taya chrome bmx chain that cost £6.99 from halfords on nearly all my bikes, they just work!

well that may be your opinion but the reason i belive that is because i was told this by a competition rider.

who is currently teaching me.

Tricky one this, my feeling is that if you have the rear brake on, then that allows you to remove all slack from the chain, when you then put the power down you put the chain from "slack" to "tight" in a fraction of a second, thus putting a lot of force through it.

The opposite is brakeless, when you have a constant pressure on the chain, it doesn't have such a quick difference of state, so would be harder to snap.

just my 2p worth anyway