Painting My Wheel.

Luke.P

You don't really need to prep your rims as they don't really get hit much. You might get a few knocks here and there, but if you do you can just touch them up. If you're fussy about nipples 'n' stuff you can either de-lace it then rebuild it, or just mask off the spokes/nips. If you aim it well though it shouldn't really get too far up them at all.

Regarding your grind, I wouldn't worry about paint on your sidewalls - as long as you don't ride your bike when the paint's wet, you won't have any issues. If you get a boatload on your rims you can always just grind it again...

I have a grind atm would i be able to mask/ducktape the sidewalls and just spray the inner rim? would this work?

Also...prep for paint:

whip it down, sand, primer, spray, lacquer?

is that right ?

Thanks

luke

Yer mate just tape them up on the first try of spraying my rims a while ago now i didnt bother taping them up and when it was done it slipped like sh!t so had to regrind it as the paint sat in the grooves.

Prep wise yer thats about right , I did mine, with the same routine as above and it has,nt come off yet :turned:

Theres a few qualified spray painters on the forum i,m sure they,ll give you sound advice when they come accross the topic

Edited by Mtchell

Yer mate just tape them up on the first try of spraying my rims a while ago now i didnt bother taping them up and when it was done it slipped like sh!t so had to regrind it as the paint sat in the grooves.

Prep wise yer thats about right , I did mine, with the same routine as above and it has,nt come off yet :turned:

Theres a few qualified spray painters on the forum i,m sure they,ll give you sound advice when they come accross the topic

not got a clue what you just said? :huh:

I am just going to mask sidewalls..Not botherd about nipples and abit up the spokes.

Thanks for everyones help

I havnt got a grinder :unsure:

ok

might look abit silly though with the nipples and sum of the spokes the same colour as the rim,

i mean like you would no its bin sprayed, i didnt mask one of my wheels and i regreted it (N)

i made a disc out of card to cover my spokes but still put masking tape around the nipples. the card worked well :) but you still need to tape up the spokes for about an inch, then sit the card above the rim (so paint will cover more than half the rim otherise there'd be a blank gap)

Just a random question here..? you know rim tape well can you tape where the holes will be so its a different coulor will that work? because my tape is red and i dont want red so i was thinking buy some tape and tape where the holes are?

Just a random question here..? you know rim tape well can you tape where the holes will be so its a different coulor will that work? because my tape is red and i dont want red so i was thinking buy some tape and tape where the holes are?

take the rimtape out ?? lol

Can you just use tape as rim tape?

Sellotape, doubled up on itself so you don't have a sticky side showing. Lightest rimtape you can get.

beat me to it, so you just do 2 layers all around the rim ? will that do the job ?

thanks for your help

Right, when masking the spokes. instead of wrapping the masking tape around the spokes, take 2 strips and one either side of the spoke leaving a lip at the top (fold it over). Otherwise you end up with a stanley knife for 3 hours it took me, to get it all off because the paint turned it rock hard.