Newer photos:

echoins.jpg

echoins2.jpg

echoins3.jpg

echoins4.jpg

echoins6.jpg

echoins7.jpg

echoins8.jpg

Got a bunch of shiny new Inspired bits, so here's some new photos!

Older photos:

Made some changes to my Echo, kinda refined my setup a bit, and gave it a bit of a spray. In one week my rims have been 3 different colours - indecisive :P Anyways, useful upgrades were the new Spoke Tensioner V5.0, which features a 2mm hole drilled into my frame just above the dropout which the spoke mounts into directly. Nice 'n' clean, and gives awesome tension! Banged some of the tasty gunmetal Echo finishing kit on too, I reckon it looks pretty nice on an all black setup.

Echo1.jpg

Echo2.jpg

Echo3.jpg

Echo4.jpg

Echo6.jpg

Big thanks to Ads for all the help with bits and with the tensioner, and to Dave and Jon at Inspired/Trialtech for making awesome shit that I now run (Y)

Edit: Tensioner pic fail.

post-91-126659913628_thumb.jpg

Word! Kept meaning to text you to see how you were, but it's been nuuuuuts here the past few days. I thought Fridays were supposed to be quiet?! Hope the knee's on the mend anyway :)

Yeah man cheers, over the hill now, all down hill to recovery!

speak soon:)

On the subject of street bikes, I believe even OBM would say get a BMX.

Certainly would. This kinda bridges the gap between my BMXy stuff and my trialsy stuff quite nicely. There's stuff I've seen out riding BMX that I'd ideally need a trials bike to get to to then do a BMXy move on (if that makes sense), and there's been stuff when I'm out riding natural that I think a BMX would be good for. It just fills that little niche really, really well, and is fun as shit to ride!

looks wise, it's sweet as can be but that's it.

I'll never be converted to brakeless, it looks good but is cearly a load of bull. If you don't want to use your brakes for something I say, don't press them.

its completely different to just "not using them"

its not about what you can and can't do, thats missing the point completely. its about setting new challenges, learing new stuff and having a great larf

I suppose that is a fair point, and I must admit when someone does something half decent without brakes it is all the more impressive.

It's also pretty cool seeing what you can actually do. Rowan's brakeless video was pretty eye-opening (e.g. wheelswap on a post to gap to front to WTF?), Akkers has done some cool stuff too, and seeing Ali do ridiculous stuff everywhere's cool on a more immediate level. Interesting seeing all the different styles too, but again, it's what it teaches you. Going back onto bikes with brakes is kinda cool 'cos you just realise you don't really need to use the brakes for everything, and you don't need to have amazingly good brakes for everything because you sort of end up just using pedal pressure to do stuff anyway. It teaches you so much about wheel placement too - riding natural on them is nuts because to control your speed you have to use what's around, so you've got to try and do little wodges and stuff everywhere. You have to try and be super accurate but of course don't have brakes to help you, so it's more about your body position and movement. It really does help your riding, and it's an amazing feeling when you get a tech line brakeless.

I agree that a lot of young riders have poor brake technique. I have a 24" with a standard Magura, Plaz pads, no booster, a 3 year old grind so worn beyond smooth, no tar and a fairly shoddily setup brake really, and I'm a fat f**ker, yet I have no problems with my back brake holding.

You go on rides and there's 14 year old kids with super light mods who must weigh half of what I weigh, with all these fancy new pads, mega booster, rims grinded the hell out of that morning, yet they are still bitching because their brake is slippy. Either they aren't using any pedal pressure at all or they can't pull a lever to save their lives or they simply aren't getting near the top of things and are being delusional and thinking its the brake.

Everyone should have to ride with shit brakes/no brakes at some time, it does make you better.