Where To Get Aluminium Tubing?

Alex Dark

Basically, I'm making a bike frame from scratch ( topic in Trials Chat ) and i got all my materials all sorted, ordered etc. Got an email last night saying the tubing I was planning to use for the chainstay/seatstays has been discontinued :(

Ideally I need 1" x 3/4" 16swg 6082 and would be eternally grateful if someone could find a Uk supplier for this! This is completely last resort as I have no diea what to do if i cant get hold of it :(

The nearest i can get is 3/4 x 3/4 or 1" x 1".....the only other viable alternative is ovalised, but this would be extremely hard and expensive to source :(

Thanks in advance for ANY help on the matter :)

Basically, I'm making a bike frame from scratch ( topic in Trials Chat ) and i got all my materials all sorted, ordered etc. Got an email last night saying the tubing I was planning to use for the chainstay/seatstays has been discontinued :(

Ideally I need 1" x 3/4" 16swg 6082 and would be eternally grateful if someone could find a Uk supplier for this! This is completely last resort as I have no diea what to do if i cant get hold of it :(

The nearest i can get is 3/4 x 3/4 or 1" x 1".....the only other viable alternative is ovalised, but this would be extremely hard and expensive to source :(

Thanks in advance for ANY help on the matter :)

There is a company in whitehaven, cumbria which I was dealing with about 7 years ago when I last looked at manufactureing trials frames. Can't remember the name of the company and am in the middle of the sea, however I can ask my bird to dig it out for me if she can.

Matt

There is a company in whitehaven, cumbria which I was dealing with about 7 years ago when I last looked at manufactureing trials frames. Can't remember the name of the company and am in the middle of the sea, however I can ask my bird to dig it out for me if she can.

Matt

Cheers Matt :)

We use Smiths Metal Centres at work... probably worth a ring. They seem to stock 1.5" x 0.75" 16SWG in 6082... any use?

1.5" is too big unfortunately :( Cheers though, and I called them yesterday :)

The other option would be to buy some U channel in the correct width and then modify to the right height before welding on some plate to box it in. Would give the required 'tube' at a push...

That does seem a bit of a bodge if I'm honest, i would have thought even normal cyclical tubing would be better than this?