Chris King?

alex-trials-boy

Hey guys I noticed my king's sprocket was loose today the ss lockring was loose so I tightened it up all the way but still the sprock moved left and right abit what do I do because my dad tightened as tight as he could but when I got home a min ago I felt the lockring and it was loose again :S what do I do? Thanks alex.

Hey guys all the threads are mint just gave everything a well good clean getting some locktite tomorrow but still ain't solved the wobbleing of the sprocket just need to get a spacer about 1.5mm thick :S do tarty sell them that thin? Or has any one got any about?

if there's still threads showing the other side of the lockring, you could use a slightly thicker spacer if you can't find one that thin

Or go ask at an engineer's supply, it's a longshot if they'll have anything suited to it, but if they do it'll be DIRT cheap

3 zip ties=1.5mm spacer. only for use if you really need a spacer desperately.

Did this a few years ago when i was on holiday with a mate in wales. was sorting my hub out and realized i needed a spacer. but, being in the middle of no-where dan just put three zipties in a triangle on the end of the last spacer done the lockring up and cut off the excess. that probably don't make sense but i don't have any pictures of how it was done because i changed it for a normal spacer when i got home.

Edited by 6ft-midget

When tightening the lockring, try not to go too much over the torque stated on the side.

If the lockring is coming loose, don't over torque it, do what you have said and use locktite. Only use one drop though, and make sure your threads are clean.

If the locking is not coming loose, and the sprockets have play, do what others have suggested and put another spacer in. You could even start off with a spacer that is too big for what you need and file it down to size. Just make sure whatever spacer you put in, there are enough threads engaging!

... ain't solved the wobbleing of the sprocket ...

Wait , are you using enough spacers on the actual body ? The lockring needs to tighten up against the last spacer which itself presses against more spacers , the cog , then the base of the body ( nearest the spokes . )

I wouldn’t put loctite on my king threads.

What kind of sprocket are you using? One off of a split cassette? I use a sprocket from a single speed kit, which is a bit chunkier than cassette sprockets; this may solve your spacing problem. Using a thicker sprocket will mean it doesn’t cut/dig into your free hub body either which will make it easier to remove for maintenance or whatever else.

Just make sure when you tighten the lock ring back up you hear some teeth meshing and its all "hand tight", you don’t have to be dangling from it.

I wouldn’t put loctite on my king threads.

What kind of sprocket are you using? One off of a split cassette? I use a sprocket from a single speed kit, which is a bit chunkier than cassette sprockets; this may solve your spacing problem. Using a thicker sprocket will mean it doesn’t cut/dig into your free hub body either which will make it easier to remove for maintenance or whatever else.

Just make sure when you tighten the lock ring back up you hear some teeth meshing and its all "hand tight", you don’t have to be dangling from it.

single speed king cog on it , he should post a pic really cant see how its changed over 2 months?

Why not?

why wold u need to bill, the lockring should bottom out against the shoulder, not rely on tension on the thread... come on ur ment to be an engineer

i cant see how it wont tighten up all of a sudden, chances are the lockring is staying tight and there is a small gapp between the face and spacer, proly didnt notice the cog had play before?

why wold u need to bill, the lockring should bottom out against the shoulder, not rely on tension on the thread... come on ur ment to be an engineer

i cant see how it wont tighten up all of a sudden, chances are the lockring is staying tight and there is a small gapp between the face and spacer, proly didnt notice the cog had play before?

I know that mun :P I was just trying to stop him hanging off the end of a spanner to keep the lockring in there (if that was the problem). More likely to be a lack of spacer somewhere though.