Hs33 Bleed Water?

hi tim, ive literally made the switch yesterday from magura blood to a water bleed and the change for me was pretty big! (in a very nice way)

the benefits of the lighter/snappier feel speak for themselves, especially for newer riders like myself where small adjustments are made at any drop off, or ontop of any wall (as well as the easier use for tired/untrained braking fingers).

you can can also be sure to get a pretty much perfectly bleed brake with water being pretty disposable!

i used the regular bleed kit, with the two tubes and a syringe and flushed out all my oil first. for my system, after going through all the steps and screwing back in the nut on the lever - i kept the syringe attatched to the slave and gave the lever a number of repeated sharp flicks. the turbulance inside the hose will be sure to clean away any residue of oil (i noticed a slight change of colour in water), and dislodge any little bubbles. you should see nothing but clean water come in/out of the slaves into the syringe.

never going back to oil, reguardless of the potential downfalls of a water bleed...id rather shell out a little on a new brake from time to time and have the confidence and full control on the rear, could make all the difference!

Made the switch to water last night after lots of neigh saying, im very impressed!

Brake was much quicker and easier to bleed,

My Lazy cylinder is now spot on,

Brake action much snappier,

Lever feels more Solid although i reckon this down to the very old Magura blood.

Overall impressed so far :D

Will have to get a proper ride with it to see if it lasts.

Seems like a good move for Rim brakes, Those that are bleeding discs with water are just asking for trouble though!

Made the switch to water last night after lots of neigh saying, im very impressed!

Brake was much quicker and easier to bleed,

My Lazy cylinder is now spot on,

Brake action much snappier,

Lever feels more Solid although i reckon this down to the very old Magura blood.

Overall impressed so far :D

Will have to get a proper ride with it to see if it lasts.

Seems like a good move for Rim brakes, Those that are bleeding discs with water are just asking for trouble though!

I was a blood purist for years, been running water for 3 weeks ish now and haven't even considered going back to oil, enjoy :D

it is fine to bleed them with water but dont bleed any disc brake with water then it will mess it them up

Apart from the 02 Magura Louises... :)

If they ACTUALLY froze, surely they would have stuck on? As it expands when it freezed so the pads push out.

nah mine didn't just locked at the lever

well it didnt push the pads out it just froze the lever in place so there was no pull to my lever

Truth :rolleyes:

Noooo!

You can bleed pretty much any brake with anything, coke, piss, battery acid etc and they will work.....

How long for though is a very different matter!

Hopes and the vast majority of hydraulic systems need proper hydraulic fluid as this lubricates the seals and internals and keeps everything working as it should. Also as the seals are designed for thicker Hydraulic fluid the seals my not be able to keep something thinnner where it should be, causing leaks etc.

Edited by thompo

I bled mine with some Citroen brake and clutch fluid, seemed fine!

though I think it needs another bleed as the brake is no longer stopping the rear wheel, I imagine this could resolve it? :huh:

I found that stuff wayyyy too thick. After using that I went back to proper magura stuff and it felt like water after using Citroen stuff for some time.

Hi there

my mechanic always runs water in my brakes in the summer and mangurs blood in the winter, this set up works very well and i have talked to my mechanic becuase i throught it would damage the piston but he said it is perfectly fine to run water and to be honest it feels smooth and reacts quick

so there my awnser reply back :D