Maggies Slipping Through Brake Clamps

Theo

Right. I use a cd to line the pads up straight to the rim, but when I tighten the bolts, after about 5-10 mins riding they seem to slip back so I loose some braking power, sometimes I loose more more than others. I have tried tightening them quite a bit but i dont want to tear off the threads.

Is this normal, if not what could be causing it? (pics below)

Cheers (Y)

Theo

sorry if they are a bit blury, too tired to play with camera settings!

30092090.jpg

sv104268.jpg

sv104276.jpg

i bet your bolts are too long and bottoming out on the frame.

snap check the length out and also is the clamp is well clamped through should touch if not there defo too lose if they are too long you can either be brave and cut them or get shorter ones

looks like the booster bolt might cause a problem try running with out it and see how it gos

Edited by DEZ

Right. I use a cd to line the pads up straight to the rim, but when I tighten the bolts, after about 5-10 mins riding they seem to slip back so I loose some braking power, sometimes I loose more more than others. I have tried tightening them quite a bit but i dont want to tear off the threads.

yeah do you still have the little plastic washer things on the cylinders beacuse if you took the of and havent put them back ont it wont tighten fullly?

otherwise you might have to file dow your mounts to make sure it tightens . if none of that works you need a heliciol hope this helped. :P

snap check the length out and also is the clamp is well clamped through should touch if not there defo too lose if they are too long you can either be brave and cut them or get shorter ones

looks like the booster bolt might cause a problem try running with out it and see how it gos

humm, i will have a look, didnt understand your second bit though, didnt make much sense to me :P

the bolts are the ones that came with the bike apart from the booster (gold) ones. would this still effect it? - will do!

yeah do you still have the little plastic washer things on the cylinders beacuse if you took the of and havent put them back ont it wont tighten fullly?

otherwise you might have to file dow your mounts to make sure it tightens . if none of that works you need a heliciol hope this helped. :P

I dont think i have the plastic bits on. will double check now. "file dow your mounts" which bit do you mean? just the bolts?

Edited by Theo

humm, i will have a look, didnt understand your second bit though, didnt make much sense to me :P

the bolts are the ones that came with the bike apart from the booster (gold) ones. would this still effect it?

I dont think i have the plastic bits on. will double check now. "file dow your mounts" which bit do you mean? just the bolts?

you dont have the plastic spacers around the cylinder? that is your initial problem. and if the gold bolts are too long, then yeah they will also be a problem

you dont have the plastic spacers around the cylinder? that is your initial problem. and if the gold bolts are too long, then yeah they will also be a problem

Right. So i need them on. haha. Turns out they are on. How i didnt remember i dont know they are massive.

I checked the lengths and the booster bolts have the same length of threads as the stock bolts that came with the bike. so its not the length :ermm:

any other ideas anyone?. I thought it could be the rubber bit. do the clamps need to be perfectly in line with the rubber bit on my maggies, its slightly off.

Edited by Theo

This may not be related but i can see (from looking at the gap between the brake pads and pistons) that you've adjusted the tpa (that red adjustment on your brake lever) all way to max+ before fitting and adjusting the pads. If this is the case with the tpa, you need to re-adjust it back all the way to min- before fitting the pads again. Ps, use a credit/debit card instead of a cd or checkout adam@tartbikes video how-to.

This may not be related but i can see (from looking at the gap between the brake pads and pistons) that you've adjusted the tpa (that red adjustment on your brake lever) all way to max+ before fitting and adjusting the pads. If this is the case with the tpa, you need to re-adjust it back all the way to min- before fitting the pads again. Ps, use a credit/debit card instead of a cd or checkout adam@tartbikes video how-to.

great man, well noticed. i think i have.

So would this make it slip? or loose power?

great man, well noticed. i think i have.

So would this make it slip? or loose power?

lose power. looking at the pics again you definitely have adjusted the tpa to max+ before fitting and adjusting the pads. adjust the tpa back to min- and use a credit or debitcard instead of a cd disc.

lose power. looking at the pics again you definitely have adjusted the tpa to max+ before fitting and adjusting the pads. adjust the tpa back to min- and use a credit or debitcard instead of a cd disc.

Thanks, will do. great help mate (Y)

by the way just out of interest, how does the tpa work, and what does tpa stand for? thanks again

Theo (Y)

by the way just out of interest, how does the tpa work, and what does tpa stand for? thanks again

Theo (Y)

No idea dude, id assume that there is some kind of mechanical push rod system in the lever and when adjusted via the tpa this in turn forces the oil further down the cable to push the slave pistons (those little tiny plastic rods that push the brake pads) or something like that, im just guessing. Im sure OBM or Adam will explain if they read this thread.

No idea dude, id assume that there is some kind of mechanical push rod system in the lever and when adjusted via the tpa this in turn forces the oil further down the cable to push the slave pistons (those little tiny plastic rods that push the brake pads) or something like that, im just guessing. Im sure OBM or Adam will explain if they read this thread.

cool, just sorted it out now, working fine. looking forawd to riding with decent breaks tomorrow.

Thanks

Theo (Y)

Theo (Y)

TPA = Turbo Pad Adjustment.

basically, when you turn the tpa, you are infact turning a screw, this screw will be pushing a rod into the lever piston. and due to the nature of the brake will put pressure through the whole system and moving your pads very slightly closer to the rim. this can lead to the tpa breaking over time, a pain in the arse to set up as the pad calipers can switch which gets pushed closer to the rim.

it isnt designed to be used for setting the brake up. its more if you are out riding and you need some adjustment you should use it till the end of the ride, then when you get home, take the tpa off and set the brakes up properly, maybe even a re bleed

i had the same problem using tensile ofset mounts, im affraid i dont have a quick fix just get some regular maggy mounts and you should be fine

It is the tensile mounts, there are two ways to fix it, one put something under the plastic o-ring to increase it's size, the other (and more recommended one) is to file down the tabs on the mounts a little so they sit closer together!

the other (and more recommended one) is to file down the tabs on the mounts a little so they sit closer together!

right! i still have the same problem so this info should be pretty helpfull, just to check, are the tabs on the mounts the slightly raised bits on the clamps? I dont want to be filing away at the wrong thing.

Thanks, Theo (Y)

Edited by Theo

right! i still have the same problem so this info should be pretty helpfull, just to check, are the tabs on the mounts the slightly raised bits on the clamps? I dont want to be filing away at the wrong thing.

Thanks, Theo (Y)

Yup, where the two mounts contact each other, the top mounts have a small lip. remove a little material from this :)

I have this same problem now with the same mounts.. I even ground the lips off the mounts today but it still slips so i have gave up and a v brake is going on this week...;}

what you getting?

oh my god yeah .... i put tensile ones on what a heap of sh*t ..... no offence to all that use them. they slipped and sliped and put my magura ones back on and there sooooo much better. only put the tensile ones on because they look flash lol.