Xc Forks...

Rob/Mitch

Pike forks weigh a tonne, i'd avoid those if using for XC. Best bet is a second hand set of rockshox Rebas, should be able to get a decent set for around £150-200. They're great forks, lightweight, plush, loads of adjustment via the air spring. Very close to Fox Float performance but usually sell for quite a bit less. You can also adjust the travel between 80/100/120mm via switching some internal spacers. Just be careful to buy ones in good condition, avoid forks like these at all costs. ANY marks or damage to the stanchions is a very bad sign so try to get a set which haven't been used much. These forks here look perfect, I'd happily pay upto £180-200 for them.

Not sure how these'll go down with the proper XC types on here but I got a set of Suntour Epicon's for my bike last year and I've been really pleased with them. 1.8kg, 100mm travel, remote lockout, air shocks with rebound adjust for £145... worth a look anyway!

Link.

Pretty sure that Suntour make the lower end Marzocchis, they used to. Suntour is surprisingly good stuff for the money. What bike are you putting the forks on?

It depends what bike it's for, and what sort of stuff you ride. For a bike that's designed for 5" forks for riding on smooth-ish stuff, Pikes are great. I love mine. Super smooth and very predictable, plus very easy to set up well. The only fault I have with them is that they tend to get slightly overwhelmed on big fast rocky sections - the damping gets confused and it's not as active as you might like. I've tried some Marzocchi Z1Frs which don't suffer in the same way, although they're significantly heavier. Unless you regularly ride really rocky stuff though it's not an issue. Pikes are definitely do-everything forks - I put them on my jump bike for a while and they were lovely on that too. Mind you, Revelations are now 140mm, and they're a bit lighter so might be worth a look if you could get some second hand. Very similar to Pikes in feel, just not quite as stiff.

I don't really know about shorter-travel forks.

I used to have a set of Reba race on my old anthem but my current bike has Rockshox Recon SLs & I'm well impressed with them.

I think someone said theirs are very soft but I can't say I've had that issue with mine.

I weigh 14st & am riding about 10hrs offroad a week if possible. Had them since August & they haven't skipped a beat yet.

Just had a quick look & Merlin have them on sale for £189 at the moment. Seems pretty reasonable for an air fork.

I've also used those suntours that were mentioned earlier & they're well worth the money.

I'd agree with Matt Burrows. Reba would be first choice. Recon after that. Similar forks but the Reba is air sprung over an actual spring in the Recon. Air being lighter and offering control in how it feels.

Tora is heavy with little rebound control Pikes are stupid for XC, far too heavy. Revelation again wouldn't be as good as the Reba for XC.

Rockshock Reba will handle any trail centre or natural XC ride you kind find without being heavy.

I'd agree with Matt Burrows. Reba would be first choice. Recon after that. Similar forks but the Reba is air sprung over an actual spring in the Recon. Air being lighter and offering control in how it feels.

Tora is heavy with little rebound control Pikes are stupid for XC, far too heavy. Revelation again wouldn't be as good as the Reba for XC.

Rockshock Reba will handle any trail centre or natural XC ride you kind find without being heavy.

I tought this kid everything he knows! lol

I am with Timmy's view, i personally find the reba's a little flexy, but they are more xc and i'm a big boy!

I would look away from rock shox, i have noticed some fox forks selling for quite good prices recently, some marzocchi's are pretty darn good, and i think manitou are getting thie act together.

My bit of advice is unless you are going for a dirt jump fork, do not buy the forks that have the plated silver stanctions as the are made for various brands by suntour, and they are a cheap sprung fork.

I have apair of marzocchi's Shivers on my dirt jump bike( flex like hell) and they have performed for years without an issue and only a couple of services.And on my xc bike i have a pair of Float 32 RL's they are great, loads of adjustment and not put a foot wrong, i think i will get he qr15 model next as this does stiffen up the front loads without gaining weight.

Kenny

• 2 weeks later...