Echo Tr Lever

WIGAN

right, at the moment my 04 maggie lever is pretty shagged just leaks all the time and i have to bleed it like evry ride and its getting annoying, i'v heard the the TR levers are very prone to leaking my mate had one and just went back to a maggie lever after a week or so, what i'm wanting to know is where they leak from and if its fixable?? then i could buy the lever off him saving money i dont have anyway, cheers for any help in advance guys .

Edited by WIGAN

right, at the moment my 04 maggie lever is pretty shagged just leaks all the time and i have to bleed it like evry ride and its getting annoying, i'v heard the the TR levers are very prone to leaking my mate had one and just went back to a maggie lever after a week or so, what i'm wanting to know is where they leak from and if its fixable?? then i could buy the lever off him saving money i dont have anyway, cheers for any help in advance guys .

Some leak some dont. I was lokking at those myself at one piont and asked the same question . From what i gather there ok as far as a lever goes and only leak at the master cylinder due to not bein cleaned when made ( swarf ) or dirt in the cylinder how true this is im not sure. If any help i never did buy them . Id say im 50/ 50 on these.

I have one for about a month now bought a whole tr rear brake, have left it with the oil bleed. Has been really good so far no leaks really good power. Not sure what it would be like with a water bleed though heard it causes problems.

im sure my mate said his lever was leaking from the bleed bolt though and it didn't matter how hard he tightened it, it would still leak ??

thers the problem "leaking from the bleed bolt though and it didn't matter how hard he tightened it, it would still leak ??" hes cleary overtightened it, i did this wit a maggy lever and it happened

thers the problem "leaking from the bleed bolt though and it didn't matter how hard he tightened it, it would still leak ??" hes cleary overtightened it, i did this wit a maggy lever and it happened

i doubt that cince hes an engineer for BAE and has been riding about 11 years wouldnt do something as daft as that ... im just wanting to know other peoples experiences with them because im sick of bleeding my maggie evry ride its doing my head in now, plus TR full brakes are on offer at tarty

im sure my mate said his lever was leaking from the bleed bolt though and it didn't matter how hard he tightened it, it would still leak ??

you can cause things to leak by over tightening.

If it has been tightened a lot and doesnt stop, it will need to be sorted out properly not just continuously tightened. i'd stay away personally.

i doubt that cince hes an engineer for BAE and has been riding about 11 years wouldnt do something as daft as that ...

I'm not saying anything about your friend, but I know of many, many times where 'Engineers' have talked absolute shit about things claiming they know all about it because they're an 'Engineer'. I've personally had to deal with an 'Engineer' who brought his bike into our shop (not Tarty, an old LBS) after he'd spent hours looking over his bike to find out what made a little ticking sound every time he pedalled. He said he didn't think we'd be able to do any better than him but he thought he'd try. It was the excess inner cable from his front mech catching his crank arm when he pedalled. I've also had to hear quite a few people quote their 'Engineer' friends who simply have no idea what they're talking about, but because they're an 'Engineer' think they should know what they're talking about. Again, not saying anything about your friend at all, but simply being an 'Engineer' doesn't really mean much about their knowledge of trials products.

Oh, and about the TR brakes on sale - we've sold a load of them, and we've had very few problems. Obviously a few have caused issues, but if you clean them out when you get them you're likely to avoid any problems. If memory serves, we've only got blue rear ones left at the mo...

right so basically just clean it out and lube it up to stop the metal shavings tearing the f**k outa the seal??, and as for my mate its not just the fact of his trade hes been riding a lot longer than most so knows his way round a bike very well and couldnt solve the issue but thanks for the info, im not really arsed about colour i can just polish it silver

Edited by WIGAN

I'm not saying anything about your friend, but I know of many, many times where 'Engineers' have talked absolute shit about things claiming they know all about it because they're an 'Engineer'. I've personally had to deal with an 'Engineer' who brought his bike into our shop (not Tarty, an old LBS) after he'd spent hours looking over his bike to find out what made a little ticking sound every time he pedalled. He said he didn't think we'd be able to do any better than him but he thought he'd try. It was the excess inner cable from his front mech catching his crank arm when he pedalled. I've also had to hear quite a few people quote their 'Engineer' friends who simply have no idea what they're talking about, but because they're an 'Engineer' think they should know what they're talking about. Again, not saying anything about your friend at all, but simply being an 'Engineer' doesn't really mean much about their knowledge of trials products.

Yeah, completely agree. If its leaking from the bleed bolt then put some plumbing tape around the thread. Its a common problem with a rediculously easy fix, hardly takes a genius to solve :huh:

right so basically just clean it out and lube it up to stop the metal shavings tearing the f**k outa the seal??, and as for my mate its not just the fact of his trade hes been riding a lot longer than most so knows his way round a bike very well and couldnt solve the issue but thanks for the info, im not really arsed about colour i can just polish it silver

Yep, just give it a clean and bang it back together.

And like I said, wasn't talking shit about your friend (Y)

How long have you had an 04 lever for? front or back?

My front one has held out ace so far.

yeah because danny got it off onza its about 6 month old, mines about 6 years old, got a new maggie sorted now off a mate anyway but cheers for the help anyway dewds

Yeah, completely agree. If its leaking from the bleed bolt then put some plumbing tape around the thread. Its a common problem with a rediculously easy fix, hardly takes a genius to solve :huh:

i had an older echo lever which leaked from the grub screw, which i didnt over tighten, bit of thread lock sorted the leak out

i would have said the reason why they tend to leak there is the tapping drill is oversize a lil bit

generally the lever was ok just the tpa was shit and didnt stay put was the worst thing about it

im an engineer and a bike mechanic is that better ??