Pedal Up Advice

hope you dont mind me sitting in on this topic....im in a similar situation with pedal ups, only about 2ft or so...i usually bunny hop up everything (up to 3 - 4ft at a guess)

i was wondering if i should start working on pedal ups to get higher in the long run, or if bunny hops can get you pretty much as high ? if one skill helps the other etc....

hope you dont mind me sitting in on this topic....im in a similar situation with pedal ups, only about 2ft or so...i usually bunny hop up everything (up to 3 - 4ft at a guess)

i was wondering if i should start working on pedal ups to get higher in the long run, or if bunny hops can get you pretty much as high ? if one skill helps the other etc....

Hey there Chris, when you say bunny hop, do you mean a sidehop?

Because to bunnyhop up a 4ft wall whilst facing it seems like a pretty impossible trick, with there being no run up an' all.

The only thing I can say about pedal ups though, (or straight to backs), is that the hardest you push yourself, the higher you'll go.

If you just start at say 2ft, then just go 2 or 3 inches higher each time, have a couple of goes at each height to make sure you got it, then move on to a wall just a tad higher.

If you work like that then you'll also figure out pretty soon your own boundaries, and also your own courage.

haha no no...i mean with a runup, a pretty slow one at that though

ive been doing the odd rolling pedalup, or attempt at a rolling gap but it hasnt yet 'clicked' if you get what i mean, despite reading up on them and watching vids etc....keep meaning to work on them for a few lines around my area, maybe tomorrow :)

I havnt mastered this yet myself but my friend has and the way he described to do it is as your approaching wrong foot forward most newbies pedal all the way round in one mostion to get up, this is ok for smaller walls but when you want to go bigger you have to pedal half way to lift the front up, pause then pedal kick.

If you pedal all the way round in one motion there is only so much power you can get into the kick as the gears are engaged, the pause lets you re engage with the front already in the air to give you the extra height.

I hope that makes sense lol. Its all about timing though which is the hard bit.

I havnt mastered this yet myself but my friend has and the way he described to do it is as your approaching wrong foot forward most newbies pedal all the way round in one mostion to get up, this is ok for smaller walls but when you want to go bigger you have to pedal half way to lift the front up, pause then pedal kick.

If you pedal all the way round in one motion there is only so much power you can get into the kick as the gears are engaged, the pause lets you re engage with the front already in the air to give you the extra height.

Are you serious!? It is much easier to get higher with one fluid rotation of the cranks!

Hi thanks for the reply :D

I find going at the wall with the wrong foot foward then crank it downs as you were smashing someones face under neath it, or on the beat of a song i find this works what about you?

im having trouble with these aswell but i find that if you learn to back hop higher it helps alot. learnt on a bank, i found a steap banks and then see how high i could hop up it and then fakied back down it so you learn or improve on two things at once and you dont end up getting flats ot denting your rim.

Edited by multi tasking male

Hi thanks for the reply :D

I find going at the wall with the wrong foot foward then crank it downs as you were smashing someones face under neath it, or on the beat of a song i find this works what about you?

you ride in time to music?

I'll be damned If I can keep up with 230bpm metal with my feet on my pedals >.<

im having trouble with these aswell but i find that if you learn to back hop higher it helps alot. learnt on a bank, i found a steap banks and then see how high i could hop up it and then fakied back down it so you learn or improve on two things at once and you dont end up getting flats ot denting your rim.

Hmm this is intresting never throught of it....thank you for that mate ill get back too on how it goes :D

I believe that's not the best way to go about it.

When your doin the first crank rotation try to keep your weight fairly low so that when you go for the final kick you can explode upwards more, getting your crotch to the stem(not to hard).

This video really helped me a lot, obviously it's ridiculour but his moves are more exaggerated because of the height so helps to see.

When your doin the first crank rotation try to keep your weight fairly low so that when you go for the final kick you can explode upwards more, getting your crotch to the stem(not to hard).

This video really helped me a lot, obviously it's ridiculour but his moves are more exaggerated because of the height so helps to see.

Blimey o'riley ... ive never seen anyone, go striaght to back that high its amazing, thanks for that video its helped alot