Graphic Design Peeps

Endohopper

Myself and a fellow rider are in the final stages of opening an indoor skatepark in Leiden . This has been a damned laborious task , often met with disinterest from local council but we persevered and managed to secure donations of a whole warehouse and a sizeable collection of wooden ramps :) Today a whole community of us riders / skaters and BMXers assembled the ramps , cleaned the premesis and are putting the final touches to "Project Underground . "

Here's where you fellas and ladies come in : We need a logo for flags / banners / flyers etc and talented though we are - none of us are terribly graphically inclined , but I know many of you are . We're hoping someone can improve and clean up this :

post-3439-126921725554_thumb.jpg

Yup , it's a quick , sloppy MS Paint , but essentially what we want in terms of colour / layout etc . The dimensions of the black background should be wider than it is taller , so like an A4 on it's side / landscape .

( suitable for a flag.) Feel free to utilise differing fonts but we esentially want a large fat blue "UNDER and a smaler , thinner white "Ground "across the top right thereof .

Your reward for so challenging a task ? The whole thing thus far has hinged on donations , community support and and a bunch of guys tying to achieve something positive so hopefully you'll be content to follow suit . We will of course send you photos of the flags / signs / banners in situ and I guess you're welcome to come ride anytime ! That plus the undying gratitude of a Senior Member and lots of happy skaters / BMXers seeing your work daily . B)

Just a minor thought (and I'm far from an expert on the matter) but I think that second one might look better with the words the other way round - I read that as "ground under" and I'm sure I wasn't alone

Edit, while I was knocking up this I was beaten to the reply :P

post-5821-126925873943_thumb.png

You could cut it right down to a smaller rectangle around the words then too which'd work better on flags/business cards/promotional condoms and the like

I think that a little more freedom could be cool and generate some sweet ideas though - the almost standard use of simple fonts with bold/colours to differentiate between words works well - if it's just for logos/banners then that could work well

Today a whole community of us riders / skaters and BMXers assembled the ramps , cleaned the premesis and are putting the final touches to "Project Underground . "

Feel free to utilise differing fonts but we esentially want a large fat blue "UNDER and a smaler , thinner white "Ground "across the top right thereof .

Not wishing to sound rude but your initial foundations and brief are very weak. Plus the fact you're dictating so much that nothing good can be salvaged.

If you want something decent then 1) prepare to pay and 2) if you're not willing to pay, at least let a designer use their own skill to start from, rather than an MS paint mockup.

Edited by Bronz

Mate, considering what it's for your reaction is a bit over the top. He's doing the art direction and its for a local skatepark thats struggled to get going.

Another thing, now i see its called 'underground' having the layout as you originally proposed is bad practice as it doesn't read this way.

Mate, considering what it's for your reaction is a bit over the top. He's doing the art direction and its for a local skatepark thats struggled to get going…

That may be a charitable effort, but professional designers aren't. Sure, ask for something free, but don't be surprised if it's not very good. That's all I'm saying.

…Another thing, now i see its called 'underground' having the layout as you originally proposed is bad practice as it doesn't read this way.

Exactly, the brief and starting point isn't very good at all. If you want a designer to do it then let the designer do it all (if that makes sense).

Considering the cause, i think asking for free is perfectly acceptable. I know about asking for graphic design work as i work as a graphic designer, and you're right if you want something done properly you've got to pay......thats what i expect and people pay me for. hence why i took around 30 seconds in between reading my emails to produce the design.

You're wrong about the brief - its up to the client to set the deadlines and requirements. Sure a stricter brief is often restrictive and unproductive, but its this guys project and he can art direct it however he sees fit. Again this is why i saw no reason to work outside the brief and merely created what he wanted in very little time.

Well, I thought it was cool of Matthew62 to lend a hand to help a guy out

I agree with the others though, it does read as ground under if you keep it like the original, I can see the logic behind it, having under underneath ground, but people are just gonna read ground under and not actually stop and work it out

A client only holds so much weight if they have the cash to back it up, in my opinion anyway.

Well don't be prepared to get very far if this is the line of work you're interested in then. This guy holds no weight with you, then take your own advice and leave him be and don't give him you're time.

Heres another quick little one i knocked up whilst eating my lunch.....oh shit - that means i'm not getting payed for this design today!

post-7501-126926383955_thumb.jpg

Well don't be prepared to get very far if this is the line of work you're interested in then. This guy holds no weight with you, then take your own advice and leave him be and don't give him you're time.

Heres another quick little one i knocked up whilst eating my lunch.....oh shit - that means i'm not getting payed for this design today!

post-7501-126926383955_thumb.jpg

that looks pretty awesome, almost like it needs to be looked at with 3d glasses?

Just a minor thought (and I'm far from an expert on the matter) but I think that second one might look better with the words the other way round - I read that as "ground under" and I'm sure I wasn't alone

You could cut it right down to a smaller rectangle around the words then too which'd work better on flags/business cards/promotional condoms and the like

Quite right , it should read " Under ground" whereas my crappy mockup kinda read ground under :$ And yes absolutely a smaller rectangular field around the text , a la business card / flag . Thanks for your efforts !

Not wishing to sound rude but your initial foundations and brief are very weak. Plus the fact you're dictating so much that nothing good can be salvaged.

This is what I wanted to hear . I'd rather hear detracting comments from you guys than visitors / skaters . As to the brief - wasn't sure whether you'd prefer greater freedom , or refinement of ( an apparently poorly thought out ) concept . Matthew 62's first would one look great with fatter lettering for " Ground " and the word " under" beneath it rather than above as I originally thought . Thanks for your criticisms and efforts .

The winning design gets incredibly rich and famousmildly known in a small provincial Dutch city !

I couldn't agree more with what Bronz has said.

Nothing comes for free in this world, but it is always nice to do a piece for free or for charity to help out, plus it expands your portfolio, but a little free rain goes a long way. Even if a client is paying for my services I would still tell them that 'a bad idea' of theirs is a bad idea, otherwise whats the point in creating anything.

The whole point of employing a designer is because they know what they are doing, anyone can pull a piece of design out there arse, but I can guarantee it wont be as good as someone trained in the industry.

Personally I don't think you need such a large blank area behind the logo, you can set this up in the logo use guidelines, i.e the logo must always have a 10mm gap between any surrounding images/text/etc. (edit. just released this is whats been set already, opps)

What sort of sizes, in measurements, will this logo need to work at? Cant make the typography to fine and not be able to read it, and the same for too bold.