Shin Burgers For Dinner! Ok, I Need Some Shin Pads.

Slobert

Ok, I ride freeride and downhill, and now dabble in trials. I have slipped many a pedal and my shins have the scars to prove it. I have always thought its just the price to pay to play. But tonight I slipped up on the trials bike while playing on a baby little ledge ( I am a rank begginer ) and wacked my shins. It doesnt look as bad as some bloody messes I have had, but this one really friggin hurt. I mean crunch up and wiggle in pain hurt. Its been an hour and it still is killing me. Sooooo maybe I need to get some shin pads after all. I have some knee/shin guards for Downhill, but they were cheap and are uncomfortable. They are fine for down hill runs with mostly coasting but they suck for pedaling. So I am open to any favorites that are reasonably priced and comfortable that you guys want to recomend. I think for trials I just need shin protection, but again, I am open to your collective wisdom. And here is a picture for your entertainment.

post-25546-126999991677_thumb.jpg

Looks nasty that. But it is good to have them in you're a beginner as you're more likely to slip off. Once you improve a lot you'll probably find you don't slip off so much.

I don't use shin pads, but I'd imagine you don't need anything too bulky and something that straps up nicely. There are pads which arn't like the DH pads but are like a fabric with hard inserts. These may be more comfortable than a solid piece of plastic around your shin.

So, something like this

661-veggie-shin-main.jpg

661 Veggie shin pad.

Veggie pads are good, they're especially good for keeping your legs warm.

They protect against shindigs, but not against the old knee-stem, seeing as they're shin pads. You could get knee pads as well, I suppose, but the number one trick to preventing shindigs is to get really grippy shoes.

If you're using cage pedals, ditch them. Them things are honestly shizno. Good for natural when mud is all-over the pedals, but whatever.

Aim for something that isn't just neoprene. The Veggie pads are ridiculously hot in the summer. But they're cheap and they work so it's a definite choice :)

I was planning on picking up some shin pads recently until I began hitting my right knee on the stem. Shins heal. Knees don't.

A decent thwack to the patella is soo much more painful. And kneecaps takes ages to heal. It's been three weeks since and there's still some swelling.

I bought some 661 Kyle Strait knee pads a couple of weeks ago. They're pretty big (and pricey), but they cover the knee really well plus a decent amount of shin.

Also, as you improve, you'll learn to fall in a way that doesn't rape your shins.

I've used the try-all ones for the past couple of years and they haven't been a problem.

to be honest i cant really say much about them because once they're on you forget all about them!

If you get them and the Velcro sticks out just cut it down and it looks swisshhhh (Y)

I've had the 661's and don't like them as much at the try-all's.

definitely get try-alls ;)

Thanks for all the replys guys. I love the grippyness of the cages, but I have several platform pedals in the parts bin, and might consider changing. I ride with a van skate shoe, but might look into something trials or at least bike specific. By the way, I think I might've actually bruised the shin bone this time, its still really sore this morning, but I still went out and road for half an hour! :) I might look at getting just the shin pads for now, because I actually fall pretty good from all my mountain biking experience, its really just the pedal slips that get me. Thanks agian guys.

I've been using Try-all shin pads for the past few months, and they definatly do the job, they're just to overbuilt for me.

So I brought these:

Leg-wear-1.jpg

They're a legging, with a built in shin pad:

Leg-wear-2.jpg

Got hit seriously hard in the leg the other day wearing these, right on the scar from wgere I've previously had stiches - and there wasm't even a scratch :)

The only website I can find that sells them is Trialsprod, it's where I brought mine from so they're totally trustworthy! Here.

EDIT: Ahh man, they're out of stock!

Edited by cai

it does not get gayer than that....

(drunk)

Ha ha ha, I was just thinking " hmmmm, thats alot of protection maybe I should check em out" then I saw your post and you said what the little voice in the back of my head was thinking. Hee hee, no offense to cai, but maybe I will just stick to the bloody scars. My friends think more along the lines of Monty99 and I would never hear the end of it. :$

Then again, the shin is killing me...whats a man to do?

Edited by Slobert

it does not get gayer than that....

(drunk)

yer because its cool to have weeks off biking with stiches and have dodgy scars (Y) thats not gay isit.. any way all the other pads ive tried i cant move in these are basically a leggin with a pad, which also means there legal for comps.

prod_thu_8855.jpg

Fab used them for years, literally they get more comfy as they get older.

mine are at least 6 years old and i don't even notice when I'm wearing them, I have found myself in tesco's supermarket with them cos I forgot I had them on. :giggle:

what are they??

Ok, I ride freeride and downhill, and now dabble in trials. I have slipped many a pedal and my shins have the scars to prove it. I have always thought its just the price to pay to play. But tonight I slipped up on the trials bike while playing on a baby little ledge ( I am a rank begginer ) and wacked my shins. It doesnt look as bad as some bloody messes I have had, but this one really friggin hurt. I mean crunch up and wiggle in pain hurt. Its been an hour and it still is killing me. Sooooo maybe I need to get some shin pads after all. I have some knee/shin guards for Downhill, but they were cheap and are uncomfortable. They are fine for down hill runs with mostly coasting but they suck for pedaling. So I am open to any favorites that are reasonably priced and comfortable that you guys want to recomend. I think for trials I just need shin protection, but again, I am open to your collective wisdom. And here is a picture for your entertainment.

post-25546-126999991677_thumb.jpg

Hi dude,i've got a pair of 661 knee and shin guards,which are crap for trials because they are just to bulky and i tried the veggie guards but they were just to hot and sweaty but then i tried my football shin pads (£5 from jjb) and they were just right.They even have little cups that protect the knobbly bits on your ankles.They could do with a little more coverage but they've saved my shins many,many times. I've seen a lot of nasty shindigs at WWBT ,including 2 really horrible ones on the same shin in the space of 45 mins which make me cringe still when i think about it (Cai now has a groovy set of trident ones !) Just get some. You'll be glad you had 'em on next time it happens,which it will.I've got a couple of pics that are worth seeing if i can dig them out. Maybe we should have a gallery of shindigs.....

post-21594-127033566554_thumb.jpg 1st effort......

post-21594-127033580189_thumb.jpg2nd...

lovely.

Edited by idlehans

yer because its cool to have weeks off biking with stiches and have dodgy scars (Y) thats not gay isit.. any way all the other pads ive tried i cant move in these are basically a leggin with a pad, which also means there legal for comps.

i wore lizard skins shin pads for almost 5 years... and for those who dont know them, they aren't exactly the stylish type of shin pads (but for sure the superior). I wasnt reffering to shin protection in general, but to the whole legging/skins/you name it- trend which is going on especially in the comp scene :giggle:

little tip:

if you dont like the clumsy feeling of most shin pads, try removing the plastic. Works perfect with the TSG kind of guards, because they have a reinforced layer of material right above the plastic which is enough protection for most pedal impacts.