20" Or 26" For A Bigginner?

bunny !!!

im looking to get my first trials bike, but im stuck on whether to get a 20" or 26" !

im about 5'5" and about 150 pounds.

im caught up between these two size. i like hopping up onto high objects, doing 360 drops and mostly stuff on the back wheel.

20" looks like fun but i think the 26" will be more practical, because i live in South africa and it is hard to get trials bikes and spares here!

are there any disadvantages of either one that i can take into consideration?

any advice? really stuck on this decision :ermm:

thanks!

on 26" you can go higher,on 20" it's a bit easier because of the weight.

i like hopping up onto high objects, doing 360 drops and mostly stuff on the back wheel.

I'd take a 24".it's something between a 26" and a bmx bike.so you have street tricks and trials all in one + you can sit down =)

depending on the budget we could recommend some bikes.

around 500-600 pounds you could get the Onza Zoot.over 1200 pounds you could get an Inspired or an Echo

Edited by waduc

I'd take a 24".it's something between a 26" and a bmx bike.so you have street tricks and trials all in one + you can sit down =)

around 500-600 pounds you could get the Onza Zoot.over 1200 pounds you could get an Inspired or an Echo

thanks man, but is it easier to rear wheel sidehop on a 24" or 26" ?

I would go 20" for a beginer defently !

there are a thew reasons why really,

1. easier to balance on

2. less weight

3. i herd u talking about sidehops earlier, 20" are better for sidehops but are also good for going straight up things.

4. in general just an easier bike to control when a beginer

I would go 20" for a beginer defently !

there are a thew reasons why really,

1. easier to balance on

2. less weight

3. i herd u talking about sidehops earlier, 20" are better for sidehops but are also good for going straight up things.

4. in general just an easier bike to control when a beginer

can you also do 360 drops on a mod?

Can u suggest any good mod mods around £900. ive been riding bmx for the past 2 years and i've always liked hopping onto things, so can u hop higher on a mod than on a stock ?

thanks!!

can you also do 360 drops on a mod?

Can u suggest any good mod mods around £900. ive been riding bmx for the past 2 years and i've always liked hopping onto things, so can u hop higher on a mod than on a stock ?

thanks!!

you cannot go higher on a mod than on a stock because of the wheel size.I recommend a 24" inspired or an echo

you cannot go higher on a mod than on a stock because of the wheel size.I recommend a 24" inspired or an echo

Can u do static stuff on a 24" like side hope and that sorta stuff ? I don't mind not having a seat , and is it easier to side hop with smaller wheels ?

you cannot go higher on a mod than on a stock because of the wheel size.

This is completely untrue! Wheel size makes no difference to the height of objects you are getting up.

Can u do static stuff on a 24" like side hope and that sorta stuff ? I don't mind not having a seat , and is it easier to side hop with smaller wheels ?

Yes, but if you choose a 'streety' 24" then it will be harder to control on the rear wheel then a 20", 'trialsy' 24" or a 26"..

The majority of beginners start off on a 20" due to the lighter weight and size giving you the ability to throw the bike around. If you havn't managed to sidehop / 360 drop etc. before now then don't expect to be able to pick up a trials bike and be able to do them straight off - it takes practice! It will probably be easier to learn on a 20" and transfer over to a 24" or 26" when your riding ability has progressed. The size of the wheel doesn't determine how big you can go - that's all down to your ability as a rider.

Your £900 budget gives you a massive range of could-be purchases; if you decide to purchase a brand spanking new bike then TartyBikes offer worldwide delivery. Once you're validated on here you'll be able to purchase from the 'For Sale' section, where you'll find reasonably priced second hand bikes (providing the seller is prepared to ship to your location).

Edited by Hannah Shucksmith

The majority of beginners start off on a 20" due to the lighter weight and size giving you the ability to throw the bike around. If you havn't managed to sidehop / 360 drop etc. before now then don't expect to be able to pick up a trials bike and be able to do them straight off - it takes practice! It will probably be easier to learn on a 20" and transfer over to a 24" or 26" when your riding ability has progressed. The size of the wheel doesn't determine how big you can go - that's all down to your ability as a rider.

Your £900 budget gives you a massive range of could-be purchases; if you decide to purchase a brand spanking new bike then TartyBikes offer worldwide delivery. Once you're validated on here you'll be able to purchase from the 'For Sale' section, where you'll find reasonably priced second hand bikes (providing the seller is prepared to ship to your location).

Thanx guys! I think I'm gonna start off with a 20" can u recommend a good bike around £900?

Thanx guys! I think I'm gonna start off with a 20" can u recommend a good bike around £900?

there are a lot of bikes around £900,try tartybikes,they can help you.it's not harder to control a 24 bike like "oh my god I can't do this",it's harder like you have to struggle a little bit(I for one like to struggle a bit).since you rode a bmx and you want bmx tricks as well,a 24" would be better(my opinion).keep in mind that a 24" is somewhere between a BMX and a 26".so you can do all the tricks that you do on a bmx, plus trials.your choice.

good luck!

Edited by waduc

If i was you i would get a Onza Zoot 24

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=11230&category_id=50

If i was to get a new bike i would get one of these they look amazing.

Or if you decide to go with a 20 i would go with the echo lite good for street riding

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=10929&category_id=10

If i was you i would get a Onza Zoot 24

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=11230&category_id=50

If i was to get a new bike i would get one of these they look amazing.

Or if you decide to go with a 20 i would go with the echo lite good for street riding

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=10929&category_id=10

are the brakes good on the 20" echo lite ?

the bike in general doesn't make the brake good/bad if you have £900 to play with you could build a very nice bike to start on, since you've ridden bmx so long it'd make sence to stick with 20" wheels, unless your a big guy, have you found your local riders?

spec'd this up:

£923, thats with tarty prices, luckily they offer a price compare so if you shop around for some bits (like the BB7s ;) ) they'll be cheaper.

Echo TR Rear Disc 19": Black Hub, Black Rim

@ £99.00

Monty Eagle Claw 19''

@ £29.00

Kenda 19'' DH

@ £7.50

Maxxis Welterweight (Boxed) 20''

@ £5.00

Atomz Rim Tape 19/20": 19", Black

@ £2.50

Atomz Rim Tape 19/20": 20", Black

@ £2.50

Trialtech Sport Screw On: 14T

@ £15.00

Onza Comp 2010: Complete with chain tensioners

@ £179.00

Echo TR: 170mm x 30°

@ £30.00

Onza ISIS with bolts

@ £35.00

Trialtech Sport Forged: 160mm ISIS, Black

@ £50.00

Tensile 60 Click: Black & Bronze

@ £40.00

Trialtech Sport Riser Bar: Black

@ £49.00

Trialtech Lite Z610 HX, 3/32''

@ £14.00

Avid BB7 '09: 160mm (Fits front and rear)

@ £120.00

Echo TR Front 20": Black Hub, Black Rim

@ £79.00

Neon Conquer '09: Silver, Disc Only

@ £69.99

Maxxis Creepy Crawler Front 20''

@ £16.00

Onza Bashplate with Bolts

@ £18.00

TartyBikes Bashplate Rubber

@ £4.00

Trialtech Race 'VP': Black

@ £16.00

Because V-Brake Lever

@ £20.00

Clarks Brake Cable Kit: Universal kit

@ £9.00

Monty Foam

@ £5.00

First Blog Z

@ £9.00

whatever you choose try and have isis cranks/bottom bracket, sealed hubs (front isn't as important as rear), high engagement freewheel.

with brakes maguras are popular, but cable brakes can be very powerful, the BB7 disc brakes are monstrous peices of kit, even the 160mm rotor versions have alot of power!

otherwise buy an onza master.

the bike in general doesn't make the brake good/bad if you have £900 to play with you could build a very nice bike to start on, since you've ridden bmx so long it'd make sence to stick with 20" wheels, unless your a big guy, have you found your local riders?

spec'd this up:

£923, thats with tarty prices, luckily they offer a price compare so if you shop around for some bits (like the BB7s ;) ) they'll be cheaper.

Echo TR Rear Disc 19": Black Hub, Black Rim

@ £99.00

Monty Eagle Claw 19''

@ £29.00

Kenda 19'' DH

@ £7.50

Maxxis Welterweight (Boxed) 20''

@ £5.00

Atomz Rim Tape 19/20": 19", Black

@ £2.50

Atomz Rim Tape 19/20": 20", Black

@ £2.50

Trialtech Sport Screw On: 14T

@ £15.00

Onza Comp 2010: Complete with chain tensioners

@ £179.00

Echo TR: 170mm x 30°

@ £30.00

Onza ISIS with bolts

@ £35.00

Trialtech Sport Forged: 160mm ISIS, Black

@ £50.00

Tensile 60 Click: Black & Bronze

@ £40.00

Trialtech Sport Riser Bar: Black

@ £49.00

Trialtech Lite Z610 HX, 3/32''

@ £14.00

Avid BB7 '09: 160mm (Fits front and rear)

@ £120.00

Echo TR Front 20": Black Hub, Black Rim

@ £79.00

Neon Conquer '09: Silver, Disc Only

@ £69.99

Maxxis Creepy Crawler Front 20''

@ £16.00

Onza Bashplate with Bolts

@ £18.00

TartyBikes Bashplate Rubber

@ £4.00

Trialtech Race 'VP': Black

@ £16.00

Because V-Brake Lever

@ £20.00

Clarks Brake Cable Kit: Universal kit

@ £9.00

Monty Foam

@ £5.00

First Blog Z

@ £9.00

whatever you choose try and have isis cranks/bottom bracket, sealed hubs (front isn't as important as rear), high engagement freewheel.

with brakes maguras are popular, but cable brakes can be very powerful, the BB7 disc brakes are monstrous peices of kit, even the 160mm rotor versions have alot of power!

otherwise buy an onza master.

thanks for the advice !!!!

im looking at probably getting a complete bike, because i live in South Africa and would rather ship over a complete i was looking at the echo lite spec 2 http://tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=10984&category_id=10

i noticed it had BB7 disc brakes , are they really powerful even though they are cable brakes ? or is the onza master a better option ?

im 5'5" , so do u think its best to stick with a mod rather than going straight to stock ?

thanks for the advice !!!!

im looking at probably getting a complete bike, because i live in South Africa and would rather ship over a complete i was looking at the echo lite spec 2 http://tartybikes.co...&category_id=10

i noticed it had BB7 disc brakes , are they really powerful even though they are cable brakes ? or is the onza master a better option ?

im 5'5" , so do u think its best to stick with a mod rather than going straight to stock ?

Not used them myself but there is a lot of praise given to the BB7 an BB5's. If it was me buying that bike I'd just ask to change the rear disk for a HS33 and probably stick at that for now to start on!

im looking to get my first trials bike, but im stuck on whether to get a 20" or 26" !

im about 5'5" and about 150 pounds.

im caught up between these two size. i like hopping up onto high objects, doing 360 drops and mostly stuff on the back wheel.

20" looks like fun but i think the 26" will be more practical, because i live in South africa and it is hard to get trials bikes and spares here!

are there any disadvantages of either one that i can take into consideration?

any advice? really stuck on this decision :ermm:

thanks!

To be honest dude ide start with a 20 its alot easier to throw around

• 3 weeks later...

ive been thinking about it and i think i want to go with a 24", ive been riding bmx for ages so it might just be easier for me to handle, but can u still do normal trials with a 24", like rear wheel stuff and side hops?

there are a lot of bikes around £900,try tartybikes,they can help you.it's not harder to control a 24 bike like "oh my god I can't do this",it's harder like you have to struggle a little bit(I for one like to struggle a bit).since you rode a bmx and you want bmx tricks as well,a 24" would be better(my opinion).keep in mind that a 24" is somewhere between a BMX and a 26".so you can do all the tricks that you do on a bmx, plus trials.your choice.

good luck!

okay im going to get a 24" can u give me any advice on which 1 to get , i like the echo urban ?

thanks

there is a lot of advice here, go back and read from the start of the thred, and just a personal note to add, if you like it buy it, I was looking at 3 bikes and bought the one I liked the most, it might not have had the best brakes in the world but I can buy upgrades as I get better, same with other parts.

:)