Front Disc Brakes

Riley1

Good afternoon,

Pretty straight forward realy, I've allways road with double HS33's and I'm now moving to a front disk (too late to change my mind as have allready purchased the front wheel and forks, both disc only) and wondered what brake people would recommend?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

If you want out and out bite and hold, the Hope trials brake is just plain amazing. The cable Avids aren't far off that either set up carefully with a good cable. I run a Magura Louise up front (203mm on 26" bike) and I like the combination of enough lock for front wheel moves with enough modulation for stoppies and braking in low traction. Hydraulic brakes adjust automatically for pad wear, so the brakes are fit and forget parts - a refreshing change from the amount of messing I used to have to do with Maguras to still end up with noisy brakes with worse performance.

Mono Trials or Louise brakes are both good. I sort of prefer the levers on the Maguras, but the action of the Hopes. I've currently got a Mono Trial on the rear of my mod with a Tech lever and that's a pretty win setup. The Tech levers are boss, they just help out setting your brake up loads.

hope mono (Y) and their a breeze to bleed :D

sorry.. quick question to anyone that reads this... what is the best disk rotor? does it actually make a difference?

Is there a huge difference between the normal Mono and the Trial version?

Is there a huge difference between the normal Mono and the Trial version?

its the same thing i think. some people call them Mono's, and some people call them Trials. basically just for short

the name for the brake is actually Hope Mono Trial (Y)

sorry that sounds like im being patronising... i dont mean it like that lol

The Hope Mono Trial is often wrongly referred to as the Hope mono (mini)....they are two very different brakes...one a street/dj/xc brake one pure trials. Easiest way to tell is the gold bore cap on the normal mono, or the smaller bore cap on the calliper. They both use the same Mini Lever however.