Tyre Size Through Maguras

Gringo_el_Bingo

Evenin' all!

I'm new to riding bikes. I've decided to take up trials riding for something different, and I'm building up my bike at the moment. I've got most of the stuff done/coming but I have a tyre question. On the "Chain Reaction" website it states that the Magura brakes will take a 2.5 inch tyre. On here I've noticed people using 2.7 inch tyres through the Magura.

Can I go that high?

If it helps, my rear wheel is a 26 inch Alex DX32.

Please bear in mind that I am old, fat, and have no idea about anything to do with trials riding. I'm here to learn!

Many thanks in anticipation,

Gringo.

is your frame 4 bolt mounts? if so u shouldnt have a problem, because u will not have to use the braket it comes with. if you have got vee brake mounts you will have to use the braket on there, with a 2.5 tyre it should just fit but any other wider it wont fit. ;)

is your frame 4 bolt mounts? if so u shouldnt have a problem, because u will not have to use the braket it comes with. if you have got vee brake mounts you will have to use the braket on there, with a 2.5 tyre it should just fit but any other wider it wont fit. ;)

I see. My frame has a V-brake mount, so I guess I'm limited to 2.5 inch. Many thanks for your swift reply.

As for tyre choice, I'm not really sure yet. I'm open to suggestions, if you know of something that would be good for a 26 inch wheel? I understand that Maxxis are popular.

What tyre are you thinking of using?

Never heard of a 2.7" tyre myself!

Maxxis Highrollers and Nokian Gazzelodi come in 2.7" versions.

I see. My frame has a V-brake mount, so I guess I'm limited to 2.5 inch. Many thanks for your swift reply.

As for tyre choice, I'm not really sure yet. I'm open to suggestions, if you know of something that would be good for a 26 inch wheel? I understand that Maxxis are popular.

I doubt it, measure the spacing of the mount first.

I personally wouldn't go any bigger than 2.35/2.5" on the rear. In my experience, Continental Der Kaiser or Maxxis minion dual-ply are about the best choices ( having ridden both exhaustively I can't justify the massive price difference ).

Also,make sure you get the Black Chili ( Continental tyres ) or 42a Super Tacky ( maxxis tyres ) to ensure you get decent levels of grip :)

Also, with the narrow 38mm DX32 rim it probably be an idea to get a 2.35" to help reduce tyre roll.

Maxxis Minion front

He already said he's new to bikes - so I guess he's just going of what's written on CRC - which is more than fair enough.

The only tyre-limiting factor of the magura is the crossover. Good luck finding a tyre that big :P

To OP:

I think the 2.5" guideline on Chain Reaction Cycles (usually referred to as CRC) is written there as the majority of riders would never consider going bigger than that. The brake won't make too much difference to the tyre - it's more down to the clearance the frame offers.

What frame have you got?