What's The Average Wage In Dorset?

MadManMike

Righto,

Weird question I know, but I'm looking to escape Hastings.

The bottom of the ladder jobs around here office-wise tend to be around £15-16k, with a job like mine at around £17.5-19k.

Rent around here is about £380-450 for a 1 bedroom flat, whereas the areas I'm looking at - Poole / Bournemouth - seem to be around the £500 mark.

Can any locals shed some light??

Righto,

Weird question I know, but I'm looking to escape Hastings.

The bottom of the ladder jobs around here office-wise tend to be around £15-16k, with a job like mine at around £17.5-19k.

Rent around here is about £380-450 for a 1 bedroom flat, whereas the areas I'm looking at - Poole / Bournemouth - seem to be around the £500 mark.

Can any locals shed some light??

Looking on some job sites it seems the same kinda wage ranges as Hastings... could be an issue, given that I can't really afford my own place here either.

Rental wise, you can find some cheap-ish kinda stuff depending on where you go. If you're looking at more Bournemouth way, you'll find plenty of rental accomodation close to the Uni at a decent price, but do tend to go pretty quickly.

When I was looking at renting, £500-600 a month was pretty average for a 1 bed flat close to Bournemouth / Poole town.

Rental wise, you can find some cheap-ish kinda stuff depending on where you go. If you're looking at more Bournemouth way, you'll find plenty of rental accomodation close to the Uni at a decent price, but do tend to go pretty quickly.

When I was looking at renting, £500-600 a month was pretty average for a 1 bed flat close to Bournemouth / Poole town.

Well unless I can get a significantly better job there, that's not an option.

I had a basement flat here at £375 a month and with heating etc... I couldn't afford to live there hence I now house share.

I'm currently on £17.5k so I guess I'd need to be on about £25k to live comfortably. Cheers for the help :)

cant talk for the whole of dorset but weymouth costs alot of money to live in and you can only rewaly make much during the summer months, but i sapose haveing the 2012 olympics will bring some more jobs it (how long they will last is unknown though).

What sort of work do you want/have you done? We're currently advertising for a wind tunnel technician starting at about £22k...

To be honest that's one of the stumbling blocks - at the moment I work in the aerospace industry doing "sales". I say "sales" as it's not the kind of sales people expect, ie I don't call customers and sell them things. I manage set customers and they come to me with programme details etc...

Previous history, I've been customer service manager for an online retail store, assistant manager in a hifi store and loads of generic office roles before that.

What would I like to do?

Not entirely sure - I'd like to work using my IT skills but unfortunately I don't have any qualifications to prove I'm good on PC's.

What exactly does a wind tunnel technician's role involve?

Whatever it is I can tell you quality of life and enjoyment ratio is a hell of a lot better than Hastings.

Yeah I know, hence I need to get the hell outta here as soon as possible!

To be honest that's one of the stumbling blocks - at the moment I work in the aerospace industry doing "sales". I say "sales" as it's not the kind of sales people expect, ie I don't call customers and sell them things. I manage set customers and they come to me with programme details etc...
Brainstorm what you actually do at work.

When I wrote up my CV I could have easily gone 'Worked in an inbound call centre for 5 years' but I sat down and brainstormed what I did and made it all sound positive.

Brainstorm what you actually do at work.

When I wrote up my CV I could have easily gone 'Worked in an inbound call centre for 5 years' but I sat down and brainstormed what I did and made it all sound positive.

Ah I do a hell of a lot there and quite enjoy my job, but I hate my local area and just need to get away from the same old faces etc...

I design and build databases and other tools for people in the team to use, do a lot of reporting, customer visits, hosting account review meetings...

If anyone wanted a list of main responsibilities / tasks I could write quite an extensive list.

So you don't have a stumbling block then... :)

Just qualifications really, things like IT depend heavily on pieces of paper - I may be able to do all the tasks required, but I can't prove it.

I know I'm capable of much more than I do now, it's just being able to prove it to my future employer that's the tough part!

Dunno how much student/non student properties differ. But for a double bedroom in a nicely sized student house in bournemouth you're looking at around £260-£330 (not including bills but they're obviously fairly cheap between a house of 5 or whatever).

Other than that probably not very helpful piece of information, all I can say is move to Bournemouth Mike :P

Just qualifications really, things like IT depend heavily on pieces of paper - I may be able to do all the tasks required, but I can't prove it.

Very untrue. You'll find that some of the most sucessful employees in IT don't hold any formal qualifications what so ever. Like most jobs having a bit of paper certainly gets your foot in the door, however it's not the be all and end all.

You can prove your work at an interview - take examples of your work, even if its a broad printout of a database table, just show them, explain how it works, why it works and how it has helped the business. IT and database work is very much a solution to a problem - the synergy of various solutions joining together to create a smooth and flawless procedure.

Show how your database work has improved productivity, even as a percentage, show how it has decreased downtime, even fish around your clients for some testomonials on how they found it works for them.

There really is so much you can do without a qualification in your hand - if you can prove and sell your talents for the role, they can't really argue with that.

Even take a laptop in with you and give them a live demo of your work.

Edit: Probably not really what your after with this, but all helps I guess.

Edit 2: Reading it back, I'm sort of preaching to the choir. But hopefully you see what I'm getting at.

Dunno how much student/non student properties differ. But for a double bedroom in a nicely sized student house in bournemouth you're looking at around £260-£330 (not including bills but they're obviously fairly cheap between a house of 5 or whatever).

Other than that probably not very helpful piece of information, all I can say is move to Bournemouth Mike :P

Cheers for the info, would really rather get a place of my own or a minimal house share - ie at the moment I'm with a mate and my brother. Wouldn't like to live with potentially noisy, messy students. Not trying to say all students are, I just know the potential is there hehe

Very untrue. You'll find that some of the most sucessful employees in IT don't hold any formal qualifications what so ever. Like most jobs having a bit of paper certainly gets your foot in the door, however it's not the be all and end all.

You can prove your work at an interview - take examples of your work, even if its a broad printout of a database table, just show them, explain how it works, why it works and how it has helped the business. IT and database work is very much a solution to a problem - the synergy of various solutions joining together to create a smooth and flawless procedure.

Show how your database work has improved productivity, even as a percentage, show how it has decreased downtime, even fish around your clients for some testomonials on how they found it works for them.

There really is so much you can do without a qualification in your hand - if you can prove and sell your talents for the role, they can't really argue with that.

Even take a laptop in with you and give them a live demo of your work.

Edit: Probably not really what your after with this, but all helps I guess.

Edit 2: Reading it back, I'm sort of preaching to the choir. But hopefully you see what I'm getting at.

That's a good point actually, and although obvious I hadn't really considered the whole "live demo" idea - I have plenty of working examples of tools / solutions I've designed and built.

Thanks for all the tips folks, I really, really need to leave Hastings ASAP - A terrible meeting today highlighted this even more.

Cheers for the info, would really rather get a place of my own or a minimal house share - ie at the moment I'm with a mate and my brother. Wouldn't like to live with potentially noisy, messy students. Not trying to say all students are, I just know the potential is there hehe

They are ;) But yeah I'm not saying go live in a student house, just the only semi relevant information I knew haha, maybe help give you a gauge of the general price.

I really need to grow a pair and just do this, but I can't help worrying about it all going wrong and losing everything.

As I am, I have quite a nice house and a secure job, so why do I want to move?

I don't earn enough and the local area is pretty grim. BUT, if I move and it goes wrong, I'll end up back here in a much worse situation - I realise I need to put that thought to the back of my mind and just make the jump, but it's damn scary.

When I moved out of my parents house, it was literally 5 minutes down the road into my own flat, which was scary enough - if I do this I'll be leaving all my friends, family, job and house which is a big step :unsure:

Not even sure why I'm typing this to be honest, just wanted to get my thoughts out and hopefully spark some debate.