Some Uni Questions.

dann2707

Hey all. I'm going to sheffield hallam uni next month and had a few questions.

If I take my TV, and do not intend to actually watch terrestrial TV on it, do I need a license? I'll just be using it for games and movies but it won't be plugged into a 'aerial socket' thing. I'm stopping in halls if that makes any difference.

Secondly, what would you do with your bike at uni? Can we keep them in our rooms? Bronz was explaining to me that people come round and check that you're not? I'm guessing this is completely subjective to each uni but if anyones got any experience let me know!

I'll pop some more q's in here when I think of them, no doubt I'll have more closer to the date I move in. :)

Cheers. Dannnnn

Hey all. I'm going to sheffield hallam uni next month and had a few questions.

If I take my TV, and do not intend to actually watch terrestrial TV on it, do I need a license? I'll just be using it for games and movies but it won't be plugged into a 'aerial socket' thing. I'm stopping in halls if that makes any difference.

Secondly, what would you do with your bike at uni? Can we keep them in our rooms? Bronz was explaining to me that people come round and check that you're not? I'm guessing this is completely subjective to each uni but if anyones got any experience let me know!

I'll pop some more q's in here when I think of them, no doubt I'll have more closer to the date I move in. :)

Cheers. Dannnnn

I was in the same situation as you. Had a TV for games but never watched on it. I never got a license. I did get sent letters about paying for a license but I called them back and said I never watch TV stop sending me crap and I didn't get another letter again.

When I was in halls we had our own bike shed, we get given a key for it at the beginning. But I didn't trust leaving my mod in there so I always had it in my room and only took it down the shed for a few hours while my room had a inspection, then I just bring the bike back in :)

If you've enough room, in your room, I'd keep it in your room. Thieves are aware that those sheds and 'secure' areas are a gold mine, a friend of mine's bike lasted less then 6hrs. he arrived locked it with a motorcycle chain and lock in a cctv area in the middle of a circle of halls, went for a beer with his new friends. when he walked back and it had gone.

Any locked door which is recieving broadcast television needs a licence, you don't, but as already stated, make sure the licencing people know this!

I'm in the same boat, heard of a few people getting stung with fines because they potentially could be watching TV because the cable is there.

I'm just gonna buy myself a bigger computer monitor, doesn't have a TV receiver so no potential to watch TV.

Not sure whether to take my bike yet, but sure as hell not leaving it in the bike locks.

Heard of some people doing different things with bikes in their room, Chai used to leave his under his bed (obviously with handlebars folded/off), also heard of one guy just hanging his bike out of the window with a bed sheet when they did the inspection. :giggle:

A tv license is required if you are watching LIVE broadcasts with a separate license being needed by the occupant of each externally lockable room. This includes live internet players such as sky via xbox360 and any live broadcasts via itv/iplayer etc.

A license is not required if you are not receiving a live broadcast. So repeats on iplayer and xbox etc are perfectly okay.

Also tv licensing have no statutory rights for inspection. They the same rights to enter your home as a door to door salesperson.

heard of a few people getting stung with fines because they potentially could be watching TV because the cable is there.

It has to be admitted or proven. If the cable is nearby but the tv isn't tuned into the correct broadcasting frequencies then they have no grounds to claim against you. To be honest though, theres no reason to let them in to see the cable in the first place.

I just kept my bike in my room last year and despite nearly riding into the hall warden just outside my room, I never actually had a stand off with anyone about keeping my bike there. Over Easter I disassembled my bike and hid inside my wardrobe for room inspections :lol:

As above, the reason behind TV license is there ^^

The TV thing btw doesn't matter about your intentions, they can still do you for having an aerial socket in your tv, even if you dont want to watch it. My housemate got a verbal warning for refusing to let the TV licensing guy into the house when he asked him about this. They can argue if they inspect it that how do they know youve not shoved an aerial in a cupboard and stuff like that...

TBF if youre moving into halls I wouldn't worry too much. No one is allowed to let the TV license people into your halls as its a private dwelling so just dont open your door to them lol.

Also you'll be told to leave your bike in a communal bike shed. Don't do it.

The TV thing btw doesn't matter about your intentions, they can still do you for having an aerial socket in your tv, even if you dont want to watch it. My housemate got a verbal warning for refusing to let the TV licensing guy into the house when he asked him about this. They can argue if they inspect it that how do they know youve not shoved an aerial in a cupboard and stuff like that...

TBF if youre moving into halls I wouldn't worry too much. No one is allowed to let the TV license people into your halls as its a private dwelling so just dont open your door to them lol.

Also you'll be told to leave your bike in a communal bike shed. Don't do it.

That's the truth there. You should have license regardless of whether you use it to watch TV but even though I got letters in halls no one ever came round (didn't have a TV or computer - hey I went to uni a few years back). Bike shed forget it - ours' got broken into and all the bikes stolen except for my old Dawes - not sure whether I should be pleased or offended? When I took my trials bike (ok it was a Marin XC bike with a lack of chain rings) I locked in to my radiator and when they complained I mentioned the break into to the shed and asked them if they were going to pay up for my 1500 quid bike if i happened again. They never mentioned it again, kept it out the way behind the wardrobe afterwards - under the bed is another place.

As mentioned, don't tune it or otherwise tune it with no aerial so it wipes all the channels. Don't have a aerial cable/aerial in your room and as mentioned, you can tell the licence people to do one as they have no right to enter without permission.

As far as i can tell from a quick goggle and browse, it's their obligation to prove you're illegally watching live broadcasts, not for you to disprove. So unless their kit can track you, actually receiving live TV, in your precise location, then they've no hope.

I never had a tv but still got the letters telling me I needed a tv license. I ignored them, no one ever came round, so I'd imagine even if I did have a tv I'd be fine.

Try and keep your bike in your room if possible (as has been said).

I managed to keep 2 bikes in 2 seperate secure sheds in Plymouth with no probs at all. A couple of friends also kept bikes in there with no problems. We're pretty lucky though.

Kept my bike (sometimes 2) inside my TINY room, they never left my sight. Didn't get inspected till the end of year, had a TV monitor, watched TV on tvcatchup without any problems, me and my flat mate downloaded 4tb worth of films and tv. Never got into any trouble, some guards tryed stopping me taking my bike in and I'd always just say I was taking it up to repair it before taking it back to the communial lock up area. :)

That's the truth there. You should have license regardless of whether you use it to watch TV

No, that's not the truth at all. You only need a tv license if you are using equipment to receive a live broadcast. If there is no aerial cable plugged in and the tv isn't tuned they can't say anything.

They can't do you for having a socket at all. They can argue as much as they want about you possibly having a cable somewhere but they can't do anything if you let them in for an inspection and the tv doesn't show a picture when they try using it. Having a socket on its own is not enough to receive a live broadcast. You need the tv, cable, aerial and stations tuned in.

Last time i let them in the guy came upstairs to find a tv with a freeview box 3 feet away. He looked dubious but again couldn't say anything as there were no cables.

I managed to keep 2 bikes in 2 seperate secure sheds in Plymouth with no probs at all. A couple of friends also kept bikes in there with no problems. We're pretty lucky though.

Thats exactly what i needed to know about plymouth, what halls were you in?

Was going to take mine and try and keep it in my room but just wasnt sure as to what the shed's were like for the few occasions i might have to use them.

Edited by Rich Hill

plym's lock up looks fairly sturdy and you may be lucky enough to have a room overlooking the sheds from certain halls anyway

Don't do it. It's just way too risky IMO.

Best option (depending on the exact setup of your halls) is to keep it one of those bike bags that looks like a suitcase, and stash it under the bed. Usually you have to take the bars off which is a bit of an inconvenience but it's not too bad on a trials bike (as opposed to a commuter that you want to be able to use whenever. And like someone else said, if you're caught bringing it inside, it's "for repairs".

Don't do it. It's just way too risky IMO.

Best option (depending on the exact setup of your halls) is to keep it one of those bike bags that looks like a suitcase, and stash it under the bed. Usually you have to take the bars off which is a bit of an inconvenience but it's not too bad on a trials bike (as opposed to a commuter that you want to be able to use whenever. And like someone else said, if you're caught bringing it inside, it's "for repairs".

I get your point and personally I'd prefer it in my room anyway. But Nick has just said he kept his stunning trials bike and another (guessing XC steed or commuter?) in the same 'sheds' and I thought I'm just offering the guy options as I went to Plymouth Uni and live in the city anyway. The lock up's have individual locking doors then you can use your own locks inside as well. The University itself has about a billion bike loops, all in plain site/busy areas which would make stealing from these very difficult

I was in Radnor block 6. Kept one in the big brick block by the laundry block, and one in the glass shed across the road. I said mine was a road bike so I could keep the trials bike in the brick shed as its probably more secure - No windows to see in and that.