Windows 7 64Bit, 8600Gt, Max Resolution 1600X1200?

JTM

Right I was previously running XP pro with my 8600gt, on my dell st2410 monitor (24in) and everything was fine and it ran 1920x1080 beautifully.

Last night I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. It installed a driver for everything first go with no unknown devices etc. When I went to up my resolution, the max it has listed is 1600x1200???

Then the problems really started. I thought "no biggie I just need the Nvidia driver pack thing" went online. Downloaded the "258.96" version of the drivers for my card which is like a 153mb download.

Ran the installer, it then restarts windows, gets to the Windows 7 loading screen and freezes. It wouldnt get past this screen no matter what. I ended up restoring back to the windows driver (device manager says its version "8.15.11.8593") and managed to get back into windows. At which point I tried again, same result.

I think tried to just click on my 8600gt in device manager and use update driver. It did this, downloaded the latest driver from the web and agin restarted. Same again.

After checking on some forums, I then tried to do the same but using the Vista 64bit 8600gt driver, but again same thing.

Does anyone have any advice for this very annoying problem?

Don't have such a big monitor?

Don't run shitty 7even?

STICK TO XP!

Windows 7 is excellent :S

It's exactly what Vista SHOULD have been, with some nicer touches.

As for the thread question...

Leave the monitor connected to the PC and all of it running, and then pull the power cable out the back of the monitor. A fair few people set the screen up in a certain way, and 7 doesn't recognise it's full potential. Pulling the power out when it's not expecting it forces it to reset.

Failing that - like mine did (though I have a 22", and the max I could get was 1280x768, rather than the 1680x1050 it should've been) - turn absolutely everything off. Unplug the monitor from the PC and the power, boot it up and let enough time pass for it to get to the login screen, then plug the monitor in. That worked it out for me. If it's neither of those, hopefully someone else knows.

Edit: If you're thinking to say "that's so simple it's stupid, of course that won't work when getting up-to-date drivers doesn't", just try it. I thought the same, but when trying to fix it I read on several forums of at least 15 people found this cured it, which is why I tried it.

Edited by aener

Windows 7 is excellent :S

It's exactly what Vista SHOULD have been, with some nicer touches.

As for the thread question...

Leave the monitor connected to the PC and all of it running, and then pull the power cable out the back of the monitor. A fair few people set the screen up in a certain way, and 7 doesn't recognise it's full potential. Pulling the power out when it's not expecting it forces it to reset.

Failing that - like mine did (though I have a 22", and the max I could get was 1280x768, rather than the 1680x1050 it should've been) - turn absolutely everything off. Unplug the monitor from the PC and the power, boot it up and let enough time pass for it to get to the login screen, then plug the monitor in. That worked it out for me. If it's neither of those, hopefully someone else knows.

Edit: before you say "that's so simple it's stupid, of course that won't work when getting up-to-date drivers doesn't", just try it. I read on several forums of at least 15 people found this cured it.

Also, when in the Screen Resolution settings try clicking "Detect". You may have already done that, but I thought I'd just check...

Ive actually sorted it now, but not exactly sure why/how.

The 8600gt has 2x DVI sockets and comes with a DVI/VGA adapter thing that I was using.

1920x1080 had previously worked on XP using that setup and nothing had changed.

I had a spare DVI cable, so I plugged that into the other slot on the gfx card and into the monitor with it powered off but the PC on. I then stuck the power lead into the monitor, low and beyhold, 1920x1080.

WTF lol.