Quotes/lyrics

Max Quinn

Right so I was updating my Facebook profile earlier, and the 'Favourite Quotes' thing got me thinking. I'd be interested to know other peoples favourite words. Doesn't really have to be a quote in the traditional sense, but could be a lyric, or just a sentence that flows really nicely.

Maybe everyone else doesn't love words like these as much as me, but I find them pretty inspiring so f**k it, worth a shot.

Here's some of mine:

"To be a good selector, you have to be a good collector." - David Rodigan

"The whole city is mine, pretty as dawn." - Nas- Purple

"It's not about where you've been...it's about where you're at." Eric B & Rakim - I Know You Got Soul

"I'm fascinated by rap and by hip-hop. I think there's a lot of poetry in it. There's a lot of anger, a lot of social energy in it. And I think you'd better listen to it pretty carefully, 'cause it's important."

John F. Kerry

"You’re not coming up with new ideas if you’re grabbing and mixing and matching.

It may be increasingly accepted, but there are still plenty of creative people —

authors and artists and scholars — who are doing original work.

It’s kind of an insult that that ideal is gone, and now we’re left only to make collages of the work of previous generations."

Sarah Wilensky, interviewed in the New York Times

"at exactly what point do we realize, that life without knowledge is death in disguise"

-Talib Kweli

"Life's not a bitch, life is a beautiful woman. you only call her a bitch, cus she wouldnt let you get that pussy. Maybe she didnt feel like you'll shared any similar interests, or maybe you're just an asshole that couldn't sweet talk the princess" - Aesop Rock

'Through every cold, dark night, there's a brighter day after that'

'That which does not kill me shall only make me stronger'

'If you can't find somethin to live for, you best find somethin to die for.' - all from tupac

Lyrics- Why am I fighting to live if im just living to fight?

why am I trying to see when there ain't nothing in sight?

Why am I trying to give when no one gives me a try?

Why am I dying to live if im just living to die?- Tupac + BIG runnin'

Another quotes -

'You see, you wouldn't ask why the rose that grew from the concrete

had damaged petals. On the contrary, we would all celebrate it's

tenacity. We would all love it's will to reach the sun. Well, we are the roses - this is the concrete - and these are

my damaged petals. Don't ask me why, thank God homie, ask me how! - tupac again!

More lyrics:

"Since We All Came From A Women, Got Our Name From A Women, And Our Game From A Women. I Wonder Why We Take From Women, Why We Rape Our Women, Do We Hate Our Women? I Think Its Time We Killed For Our Women, Be Real To Our Women, Try To Heal Our Women, Cus If We Dont We'll Have A Race Of Babies That Will Hate The Ladies, Who Make The Babies. And Since A Man Can't Make One He Has No Right To Tell A Women When And Where To Create One, So Will The Real Men Get Up? I knaw Your Fed Up Ladies, So Keep you Head Up"

Alot of good quotes come from hip hop, pretty inspirational quotes. Some really make you think, others are just awesome. Tupac had some pretty good lyrics and quotes. Very true.

Very good topic, I have always been fascinated with quotes, they always inspired me in some way. I would of never thought of a topic like this so thanks. I will be checking in every now and then to share new ones I have found.

EDIT: Got another one... "Why do people say life is too short when its the longest thing you will ever experience?"

Kieran.

Edited by Kieran Morrison

"To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail."-Michael Jordan

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity; when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

- Robert Pirsig (1948-)

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."

- Yoda

If they can make penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.

- Muhammad Ali

"Tell your gilfriend i said thanks"-john terry

Hook: If I were you, I'd give up!

Peter: If you were me... I'd be ugly!

- Peter Pan

EDIT: Got another one... "Why do people say life is too short when its the longest thing you will ever experience?"

Kieran.

its short compared to the earth living like say a person lives until they are 90 its very short compared to 111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 years and infinity, and so it can be easily wasted. and it kinda means live life to the full!

Edited by trials owns

its short compared to the earth living like say a person lives until they are 90 its very short compared to 111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 years and infinity, and so it can be easily wasted. and it kinda means live life to the full!

I wasnt asking that is a quote LOL

EDIT: Another one... 'dont do that, ITS MY PALLET!!!' - Liam N.

Sorry dude, i just watched that video and felt the need, no harm intended :)

Edited by Kieran Morrison

I've got a bit of a thing for quotes. My 2010 diary has a quote on each page so I get a new one every week. This week it's: "Being defeated is often a temporary condition, giving up is what makes it permanent." Thought it was kinda nice. One of my favourite quotes has got to be "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That's why we call it the present."

Edited by Hannah Shucksmith

Just remembered one of my favourite lyrics:

"The only guarantee in life is a life worth dying for." -Slug from Atmosphere on the tune 'Guarantees'

My favourite words I've ever written myself is probably from a recent verse: 'One step forward for mankind, two back for humanity'. Is obviously out of context there but wouldn't make any sense without the whole 16 bars so that'll have to do haha.

If they can make penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.

- Muhammad Ali

That's a good shout.

Edited by Max Quinn

There are more like silly but clever puns rather than inspirational quotes:

'You couldn't flip shit if you cleaned the toilet with a spatula'—Eminem (Infinite album)

'You could date a stick of dynamite and wouldn't go out with a bang'—Eminem (Infinite album)

'Ask Beevis, I get nothing but head'—Big L (

)

I got countless more, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

'I'll finish with a bang like Kurt Cobains biography.'- Hard Road by Hilltop Hoods

Basically the whole of 'Fifty in Five' by Hilltop Hoods

There's a dude on here, his sig is something I grew up hearing- 'An amateur practices until he can get it right. A professional practices until he can't get it wrong.'

'They say it’s fate, but take a proper view

They’re trying to hold so many destiny’s in their hands

They’re bound to drop a few

So the more we keep moving, the better chance we got

Everybody knows a rolling stone gathers no moss' Akala

I'm gonna leave this for editing and adding as I remember them all!!

Edited by shamus