Physics Of Trials

Ayuli

Hi, this one is aimed to the professors among us : -)

I'm about to write an article about trials riding for our local cycling magazine (I'm one of the magazine's test pilots)

can anyone please direct me to an article about the physics of trials ?

thanks

Asaf

Hi, this one is aimed to the professors among us : -)

I'm about to write an article about trials riding for our local cycling magazine (I'm one of the magazine's test pilots)

can anyone please direct me to an article about the physics of trials ?

thanks

Asaf

i.e someting like that, but for pedal-kick etc...

http://trashzen.com/landing.php

Interesting subject - can trials riders tap into the knowledge of past, present and future surrounding us in the universe? Is such a thing even possible? Does riding trials train us to open up to this, or is it something that people simply claim to be born with?

As riders we posses the ability to learn to control ourselves during self propelled flight, whilst at the same time developing an understanding of intense emotions like fear, rage and stress - yet always striving for the inexplicable feelings of joy, satisfaction and fulfillment. Perhaps by participating in a sport that is not only impressive to the average human being, but often inconceivable and through nurturing a greater appreciation of the emotions trials can provide, we do, in fact open ourselves up to new insights otherwise not usually attainable.

We are quite a rare breed - with trials riders accounting for less than one thousandth of one percent of the population of the earth (1 in 100,000 people), what is that draws us to this sport? Unlike most sports it is not about winning, nor about as going as fast as possible. Perhaps it is such good training for key aspects of life - Skill, Power, Control and Balance?

Although ride...

Oh wait you said physics! ..never mind

Interesting subject - can trials riders tap into the knowledge of past, present and future surrounding us in the universe? Is such a thing even possible? Does riding trials train us to open up to this, or is it something that people simply claim to be born with?

As riders we posses the ability to learn to control ourselves during self propelled flight, whilst at the same time developing an understanding of intense emotions like fear, rage and stress - yet always striving for the inexplicable feelings of joy, satisfaction and fulfillment. Perhaps by participating in a sport that is not only impressive to the average human being, but often inconceivable and through nurturing a greater appreciation of the emotions trials can provide, we do, in fact open ourselves up to new insights otherwise not usually attainable.

We are quite a rare breed - with trials riders accounting for less than one thousandth of one percent of the population of the earth (1 in 100,000 people), what is that draws us to this sport? Unlike most sports it is not about winning, nor about as going as fast as possible. Perhaps it is such good training for key aspects of life - Skill, Power, Control and Balance?

Although ride...

Oh wait you said physics! ..never mind

what a mind f**k :unsure:

nun-the less some interesting views :)

You fall with gravity it is your job to propel yourself with enough propulsion against it, or across it to get where you need to go, its all simple pysics, you fire a bullet at 500mph horizontally and you know where it will land, same with a trials rider doing a gap (obviously not horizontally though)

And course there are many uncontrolled variables, how you tuck, how much you can miss the object but still grip it, how many engagements you have to propel, how powerful and skilled you are etc. all which are individual to the rider.

You fall with gravity it is your job to propel yourself with enough propulsion against it, or across it to get where you need to go, its all simple pysics, you fire a bullet at 500mph horizontally and you know where it will land, same with a trials rider doing a gap (obviously not horizontally though)

And course there are many uncontrolled variables, how you tuck, how much you can miss the object but still grip it, how many engagements you have to propel, how powerful and skilled you are etc. all which are individual to the rider.

Eh?

Hi Ayuli,

For more physics about the pedal kick, I've put together some explanations at the bottom of the pedal kick page.

That's about optimizing the pedal kick launch position. Hope that helps :turned:

thank you Julien for your response

is the "Rear wheel position" section is a new one?... i didn't notice it before

what i am looking for is something more 'overall' i.e. the sum of the forces from our body that jump, gravitation, rear wheel movement (kicks), arms pull etc

I was always amazed by trials since the first time i saw it in a video of a Czech guy 14 years ago. it seamed to me like magic, making big movements out of nothing (static)

so i started a year ago in a quite old age (36) and having a lot of fun ever since

.... now i really curious about the theoretical aspects...funny person

I'm happy that many of the friends here had a look at this tread

promise to keep you updated reg. any new revelations from the hollyland

br

Asaf

Edited by Ayuli

thank you Julien for your response

is the "Rear wheel position" section is a new one?... i didn't notice it before

what i am looking for is something more 'overall' i.e. the sum of the forces from our body that jump, gravitation, rear wheel movement (kicks), arms pull etc

I was always amazed by trials since the first time i saw it in a video of a Czech guy 14 years ago. it seamed to me like magic, making big movements out of nothing (static)

so i started a year ago in a quite old age (36) and having a lot of fun ever since

.... now i really curious about the theoretical aspects...funny person

I'm happy that many of the friends here had a look at this tread

promise to keep you updated reg. any new revelations from the hollyland

br

Asaf

Hey, I think overall, you would need to sum up the pedal kick forces with whatever body impulsion you would give extra.

A lot of the moves involve jumping, but with the extra horizontal or vertical thrust and propulsion from a pedal kick (via the wheel's torque).

I think that trying to explain it with forces is not easy as the efforts and their proportions change all the time as you perform any move. This would require more diagrams.

But hopefully, you manage to get some answers with more reading and practice. ^_^

Edited by TrashZen