Can Trials Still Be Fun For The Short Of Time And Low In Talent

supertwisted

Having a wife and baby son means I'm pretty short on time these days, which means my main pastime of day long mtb jaunts is becoming a tough habit to keep up.

I've always fancied developing some trials skills, it looks great fun and will no doubt improve my mtb riding no end.

Question is, can trials be enjoyable when you don't have huge amounts of time to invest in it? Can you be rubbish at it and still have fun? Can you develop any meaningful ability while spending a bit of time here and there doing it?

Or should I just sit in all winter and play video games and listen to the wife nag? :|

Question is, can trials be enjoyable when you don't have huge amounts of time to invest in it? Can you be rubbish at it and still have fun? Can you develop any meaningful ability while spending a bit of time here and there doing it?

yup, yup and yup

I don't get a lot of time to ride because my shifts either mean I'm working til late at night, or I've been up since the crack of dawn and too tired to move

That being said, I still have fun when I go out, and I'm still improving despite not riding nearly as much as most people

So yeah, give it a bash and see how you like it (Y)

I've just watched a video of a small child riding trials1, and I'm not ashamed to admit he's a shed load better than me, but I still have a lot of fun riding, learning, and failing. I ride an hour or two every other night, and can definitely feel myself progressing, as well as feeling a load more comfortable on normal bikes just nipping around, definitely give it a try (Y)

1Click me!

Edited by Ninja Manatee

Sounds promising then - ta.

A few people at work ride trials, one of them is something of a trials evangelist and is always suggesting I have a go. But he rides as though he side-hopped out of the womb at birth and has been a fusion of man and bike ever since. In contrast I ride a bike like a chimp drugged with Rohypnol.

A few people at work ride trials, one of them is something of a trials evangelist and is always suggesting I have a go. But he rides as though he side-hopped out of the womb at birth and has been a fusion of man and bike ever since. In contrast I ride a bike like a chimp drugged with Rohypnol.

Sounds like me and the dude I always ride with

Riding with somebody good helps massively though, they know the moves inside out and can help you out, I can't imagine having got to where I am now without that helping hand

Nice description ;)

The thing about trials is that it's basically about over-coming personal milestones. Your first backhop, your first 180 front pivot, etc. - these are all very much down to the individual but still give the same sense of accomplishment, so whether you're just doing your first endo or if you're booting a massive gap you'll still feel that same buzz.

LOLz

Nice description ;)

The thing about trials is that it's basically about over-coming personal milestones. Your first backhop, your first 180 front pivot, etc. - these are all very much down to the individual but still give the same sense of accomplishment, so whether you're just doing your first endo or if you're booting a massive gap you'll still feel that same buzz.

Absolutely spot on Mr Westlake.

I've never really treated riding like milestones, more as a natural progression of bike control. I might not be able to tap as high as 2 years ago (say..), but for sure my bike overall bike control has improved.

Trials is definitely a sport that doesn't need heavy time investment! (That's the addictive bit) Just ride hard when you do ride, and get talking to other riders about techniques to help you progress as quickly as possible. Understanding the mechanics of control really helps gain consistent techniques that can be used for loads of moves.

Most important bit is to have fun and challenge yourself.

I'm in exactly the same situation, married with a young son and another on the way and I only manage a few hours a week if I'm lucky. But I've picked up quite a bit in those few hours, just try an get some spare time to get out with some better riders who can give you advice and when you get your odd hour here and there really go for it!

The use of my surname is strangely unsettling.

I'm in Victorian Gentleman mode today, have been all day.

I'm in exactly the same situation, married with a young son and another on the way and I only manage a few hours a week if I'm lucky. But I've picked up quite a bit in those few hours, just try an get some spare time to get out with some better riders who can give you advice and when you get your odd hour here and there really go for it!

I have hours everyday and I'm still shit so don't count on time being any factor to rely on anyway my good fellow.

Edited by Matt Vandart

I know a few older beginners (30+) who have little time to ride and yet they seem to enjoy the sport a lot. It's getting through the first few months and developing basic skills that's a pain in the arse. From then on it's smooth sailing.

You might enjoy your first steps but many people don't. Most important thing is not to get put off by this because the sport is very enjoyable once you learn to actually do something on your bike.

I used to ride trials for 6 years, with NO other hobbies, no real girlfriends and only uni work to do. In the last year, I got involved with climbing and trials really took a step back in my life as I was doing solely that. Now im on the IOW, working 8 - 5, theres no climbing here so Ive met up with the local riders and just got back into riding BIG style. I go out for a couple of hours say twice a week, maybe 3 and usually at the weekend too. But I start enjoying myself in the first 5 minutes of the ride! the only reason I carry on is I dont have a wife/child waiting for me to get back to!

Id say you'll still enjoy it, but just get out as much as you can, with as many people as you can :)

Having a wife and baby son means I'm pretty short on time these days, which means my main pastime of day long mtb jaunts is becoming a tough habit to keep up.

I've always fancied developing some trials skills, it looks great fun and will no doubt improve my mtb riding no end.

Do it. Trials is the best form of cycling with young children.

I have 2 sons (aged 4 and 2). From about 2 and a half Hamish my eldest has been able to come to the park and ride with us (on his kick bike) when we ride trials. Trials is low speed so there is no drama about them not being able to keep up. Sure you can't go gapping on to busy roads or riding crazy beach rocks with a 2 year old but as a beginner I'm sure you have no desire to do that anyway.

Even if you aren't taking kids along trials is great, you can head out on to the street for a 30 minute spin and work on those trackstands, 180s, hops and manuals then be back in time for dinner.

Obviously living in Australia I can ride year round with the kids and that may be tricky for you guys in the UK but I'm sure you can make it work.

Photo attached is of my eldest having a crack at a novice section on the kickbike.

post-14254-055938600 1286756566_thumb.jp

definitely a good idea mate. I've two kids, 2 and 4 and have been working two jobs the last few years as I thought i had the time and the money was to good to turn down (Fireman and Roofer) but realised in the last 9 months actually i really dont, i work between 70 and 90 hours a week..........oops

So i thought about needing to get a hobby back to make time for myself, I saw a giant martin hawyes with mag's a other decent bits and the guy only wanted £60......trials it is then!

I used to ride but got bored about 7 years ago, never actually applied myself, was alright at street but pelt at proper trials moves, Point is get out in a group and it will always be fun. second point is make sure you keep some you time, i love my rugrats to death but its important not to stop being a grown up doing your own grown up things for yourself!

Good luck and enjoy mate!

If you need to buy anything defo use the FS section on here, i've just re-specced my bike apart from wheels mentally cheap for the quality of gear!

Cheers all. Well I've just bought a cheap 20" bike from a friend at work to dip my toe in.

I watched the Ryan Leech video again last night, both inspiring and daunting in equal measures.

Getting the basics nailed seems the biggest newbie obstacle (as some of you have pointed out). I've become a bit of an instant-gratification victim in my old age, probably as a side-effect of my busy life so the coming learning curve will either be very frustrating or a valuable lesson in patience and diligence.

Am I right in thinking I should just be concerning myself with dialling in trackstands, rocking and hopping to begin with?

Edit: Ps Lilley - that pic makes me so glad I've got a kid. :)

Edited by supertwisted

Yeah that's about right, get your balance sorted both on 2 wheels and on the back wheel and you'll have a good base to start from. I've not got round to it yet but if you can try and get hold of some blue Euro pallets, maybe 6 or 7, to practice sidehopping up and stuff. Always useful for just messing round at home with if you haven't got time to go out anywhere!

Yeah that's about right, get your balance sorted both on 2 wheels and on the back wheel and you'll have a good base to start from. I've not got round to it yet but if you can try and get hold of some blue Euro pallets, maybe 6 or 7, to practice sidehopping up and stuff. Always useful for just messing round at home with if you haven't got time to go out anywhere!

Unfortunately the wife scenario precludes me from filling the garden with pallets. It's not all bad though since I have some dropped ledges from patio to grass and some railway sleepers as borders so they will probably serve me well as beginner obstacles.

Am I right in thinking I should just be concerning myself with dialling in trackstands, rocking and hopping to begin with?

Edit: Ps Lilley - that pic makes me so glad I've got a kid. :)

The basics are crucial but don't bore yourself. If you feel the urge to try some other stuff as well go for it, it is all about having fun. Just keep coming back to basics.

The kids are great, I'm sure they will "rebel" as teenagers and get in to something like Triathlon or Fixies but at least I can ride trials with them now. I am lucky as well that I do get to ride with my mates without the kids as well so I get the best of both worlds.

The basics are crucial but don't bore yourself. If you feel the urge to try some other stuff as well go for it, it is all about having fun. Just keep coming back to basics.

The kids are great, I'm sure they will "rebel" as teenagers and get in to something like Triathlon or Fixies but at least I can ride trials with them now. I am lucky as well that I do get to ride with my mates without the kids as well so I get the best of both worlds.

Expect my boy will be riding better than me as soon as he's out of nappies. Still, as long as I can get him into bikes it'll be a win. :)