Hope Mono Trial

craigjames

I've recently bought a Koxx Hydroxx mod that came with dual hope mono trials. The lever travel seemed excessive so re-bled the brake, this didn't seem to improve things. So I got the mounts faced, re-bled the brake again, set everything up perfect and still the lever seemed a bit mushy. On closer inspection you could see the calliper flexing a fair amount, something I had not noticed on other bikes with the same brakes. Has anyone else come across this? Is it normal? Worth talking to hope about?

what hope brake is it? the one i have a 2003-04 one (two piece calliper) tends to flex a lot apparently. i've seen someone on here put a 'jule clip' i think they called it around the calliper to stop the flex.

hope never made a two part trials brake. That sounds like the origional "mini" brake (I had one, it was awesome).

I doubt its the solid, one piece caliper thats flexing. Is it not the fork/disc mount moving under the pressure of the brake?

It's the calliper flexing, 100% certain about that.

well, funny you should say that...The mono trial caliper does actually flex, you can see it when you pull the brake hard enough.

To the origional poster, how old is the brake? Newer pads are softer than used compressed pads.

The brakes have got to be a year or two old, I bought the bike second hand. Was at Joe Seddon's the other night to get him to bleed it and compared to the mono trials on his mod mine felt like they were made of marshmallows, well not that bad; but considerably mushier.

Sounds like it might need an overhaul to me, have the caliper seals and pistons ever been replaced? That would be my first instinct, if the lever is travelling too far or too little before the pads make contact then its usually down to worn seals. You could also have a bit of air trapped behind one of the pistons, which will make it feel spongey but can be impossible to remove through bleeding alone.

If you send it back to Hope they usually replace all the seals and pads for about £40, which is an absolute bargain compared to most bike shop prices.

Sounds like it might need an overhaul to me, have the caliper seals and pistons ever been replaced? That would be my first instinct, if the lever is travelling too far or too little before the pads make contact then its usually down to worn seals. You could also have a bit of air trapped behind one of the pistons, which will make it feel spongey but can be impossible to remove through bleeding alone.

If you send it back to Hope they usually replace all the seals and pads for about £40, which is an absolute bargain compared to most bike shop prices.

Well I've given everything a damn good clean, lubed the pistons with dot and re-bled everything and it feels OK. New pads are coming as the fronts were contaminated. Rotors have been thoroughly cleaned. So we'll see how they fair. A full overhaul replacing all the seals was my next port of call if it didn't work. Cheers guys.

If one pad hit before the other and the rotor was made from some imaginary metal which is thin yet 100% solid then in theory yes it could...therefore my brain indeed does work like that.

This may be true, but even so it wouldn't explain why I could see the calliper flexing ^_^

Got the new pads through today, set it all up nice and tidy after I'd faced the mounts and it seems a lot more solid, less lever travel. Just need to see what it's like when it beds in. New pads were honking once wet :( no chance they are contaminated as everything was thoroughly cleaned before the pads were installed.

This may be true, but even so it wouldn't explain why I could see the calliper flexing ^_^

Got the new pads through today, set it all up nice and tidy after I'd faced the mounts and it seems a lot more solid, less lever travel. Just need to see what it's like when it beds in. New pads were honking once wet :( no chance they are contaminated as everything was thoroughly cleaned before the pads were installed.

when i had a hope mono mini there was sometimes a honk. they'll be fine though.

go down a f**k off hill once or twice with the brake semi on after chucking a bottle of water over it, thats all ive ever needed to do to bed my discs in and then they work a treat!

• 4 weeks later...

Funny how my caliper cracked today right where it flexes, pissing its oil everywhere mellow.gif

Not a good time mate! Hopefully hope will sort it out for you? Just make sure you tell them your mounts were faced etc when you installed it.

the older one with smaller pistons doesn't flex

I didn't realise the older one was any different apart from the lever and the colour?