How ..... Seriously ?

Ashes

Found this lurking on my facebook homepage today all i can really say is i've never seen anything like it on such an old bike. :S

Sorry dont know how to actually put the vid in the topic so the link will have to do. :\

Edit: ^^^^^ scratch that, it did it itself haha.

Edited by Ashes

why would the age of the bike matter?

its still the same shape, type, idea, concept of the newer bike there for it's more about the skill of riding it ?

Well, it makes a HUGE difference. That video was recorded in 1994/1995, the bike is a '94 Beta Techno. The rider is, as the title says, Takumi Narita, Japanese trials rider, at that moment he was in the top ten of world best trials riders, with others such as Jordi Tarrés, Marc Colomer or Tommy Ahvala. The bike weighed around 85 kilos, more or less, when the currently ones are around 69/72 kg. That is without considering the power of the engine and so on, furthermore the technique has improved a lot. So the age of the bike, matters.

Well, it makes a HUGE difference. That video was recorded in 1994/1995, the bike is a '94 Beta Techno. The rider is, as the title says, Takumi Narita, Japanese trials rider, at that moment he was in the top ten of world best trials riders, with others such as Jordi Tarrés, Marc Colomer or Tommy Ahvala. The bike weighed around 85 kilos, more or less, when the currently ones are around 69/72 kg. That is without considering the power of the engine and so on, furthermore the technique has improved a lot. So the age of the bike, matters.

oh :$ :giggle: i didn't realise it was that old to be honest :giggle:

the bike new or old doesnt matter its the rider that counts a good rider should ride any bike at the same level

I had a '96 Montessa. There isnt much difference to the bikes from around the '90s compared to now, apart from the weight, which isnt much, and a bit of power.

We have a VCR of the '91 world champs with Dougie Lampkin and Mark Colemner, and they were still doing insane things.

This whole video is good, but watch the part at 4.20min

Edited by Joe O'Connor

the bike new or old doesnt matter its the rider that counts a good rider should ride any bike at the same level

There isnt much difference to the bikes from around the '90s compared to now, apart from the weight, which isnt much, and a bit of power.

Not really, of course the rider it's the most important thing, but 15 kilos of difference, I think they make a difference. Probably riders as Jordi Tarrés, Eddie Lejeune or Tommy Ahvala could have reached the level of Toni Bou if they had had a -15 kilos bike. I'm not saying Toni Bou or current riders are not praiseworthy, but as I said, 15 kilos are a lot.

Edit: And great video!

Edited by Zoo!Man

Awesome seen this before. Have to take my hat off to him, having been on a '98 techno all last year and found that hard enough compared to a new bke. There okay when you get used to them.

Good rider, but i know people who can ride like that at club level. Just shows how far the world of trials has come in 16 years!

Takumi Narita is a legend in Trials, The bike is a 1994 Beta Techno, To think someone could do stuff like that on a bike so old is seriously impressive, There is also a video on youtube with Takumi riding a New scorpa TY-S 125f, which is impressive,

Some other vids here of him riding the same bike.

Also just to see how much trials has changed, Have a watch at this video with Toni Bou, But I still prefer watching Takumi!

Edited by Ben H!