Internal Vs Standard Headsets?

Themistoklidis

Hey guys can anone explain to me the differences between internal and standard headsets?Also i have a problem with my headset.I have an onza zoot 2010 and the whole front end feels a bit "wobbly" .No matter how much i tight it when i am on a complete stop and push the front brake,then move back and forth the front end feels a bit loose.Is my headset damaged? :(

Thanks,Themis.

Hey guys can anone explain to me the differences between internal and standard headsets?Also i have a problem with my headset.I have an onza zoot 2010 and the whole front end feels a bit "wobbly" .No matter how much i tight it when i am on a complete stop and push the front brake,then move back and forth the front end feels a bit loose.Is my headset damaged? :(

Thanks,Themis.

your fork might be too long,or did you loose your stem bolts?

Could be your starnut, order a new one or if you dont want to use star nuts buy a headlock. (Y)

Star nut

Headlock

Sam

I have just replaced my starnut because my old one got bend. :ermm: Which one do you think is better?Are the headlocks heavy?

your fork might be too long,or did you loose your stem bolts?

I dont think theres a problem with my fork length because its the factory one,and the stem is tight...Im afraid it may be my headset though...

Make sure you have at least 1cm of room between the top of the steerer and the top of the stem before tightening. Might be the "wedge".

5mm is more then enough, if its a 1cm gap then the top stem bolt will just be crushing the steerer tube and won't be adding much clamping force.

To the original poster, how are you trying to tighten it up? Are any components missing from the headset?

Make sure you have at least 1cm of room between the top of the steerer and the top of the stem before tightening. Might be the "wedge".

What do you mean by wedge? :huh:

5mm is more then enough, if its a 1cm gap then the top stem bolt will just be crushing the steerer tube and won't be adding much clamping force.

To the original poster, how are you trying to tighten it up? Are any components missing from the headset?

No there all there,but what do you mean with how im trying to tighten it up?untight the stem,tight the topcap,then tight the stem if thats what you mean.It doesnt have much "play"in the headset,but ive ridden bikes with less "play"... :mellow:

I have just replaced my starnut because my old one got bend. :ermm: Which one do you think is better?Are the headlocks heavy?

Personally i think headlocks are better. You dont have to worry about star nuts any longer, just tighten it and job done! As for weight, they arn't too heavy. If i was you, i'd sacrifice a litte bit of weight for one. (Y)

are you running a front disc? might be worth checking those bolts, also some discs have some play in the pads. These could cause a 'wobbly' front end.

This^

Even slightly loose calliper or rotor bolts can lead to a lot of play in the front end. If that's not it then it might be worth stripping and inspecting the headset and bearings. It could also be the headset cups moving slightly in the frame? (that would need a new headset to fix)

Just a quick check but are you tightening the stem/steerer tube clamp bolts or the top cap bolt? Don't think anyone asked this yet...

Edit: And are you loosening the stem/steerer tube bolts before you tighten the top cap bolt, because if you're not it'll just pull the star nut up or snap the top cap/bolt

Edited by T-Proboy13

are you running a front disc? might be worth checking those bolts, also some discs have some play in the pads. These could cause a 'wobbly' front end.

Nope,Front Vees...

This^

Even slightly loose calliper or rotor bolts can lead to a lot of play in the front end. If that's not it then it might be worth stripping and inspecting the headset and bearings. It could also be the headset cups moving slightly in the frame? (that would need a new headset to fix)

No the caps arent moving but i'll check the bearings though...

Just a quick check but are you tightening the stem/steerer tube clamp bolts or the top cap bolt? Don't think anyone asked this yet...

Edit: And are you loosening the stem/steerer tube bolts before you tighten the top cap bolt, because if you're not it'll just pull the star nut up or snap the top cap/bolt

Of course i loosen the steerer bolts first before i tighten the top cap! :lol:

Anyways,If i want to replace the headset,should i go for an internal one?Or stadard headsets are better?

Thanks.

Edited by BikeTrialsInGreece